Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

FISH CURRY - Serves 6

1 Syn per serving

450g white fish - cod, haddock, coley, cut into small pieces
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. rapeseed oil - 6 Syns
2 small onions, chopped
1 tsp. crushed garlic
1 tsp. grated/crushed ginger
1 tsp. green chilli, finely chopped
Half tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala

Marinate the fish chunks in the lemon juice for 15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the onions. When light brown, add the garlic, ginger and the green chilli. Cook for one minute.
Add the spices and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring at intervals.
Add the fish and season with salt. Add a little water, so that the fish is covered.
Simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
Serve with rice.

Now, I haven't personally tried this but my friend, who also follows SW, said it is really tasty so, if you try it, let me know what you think and I'll either keep or delete it! :)

Kathy - as a slow cooker guru, if you chop up normal white potatoes into bite size chunks, do they cook ok in a stew or whatever? Not worried about them breaking up but more that they will be crunchy!

Yes, they're absolutely fine. Even when I just quarter some of the potatoes, (not enormous ones, obviously) as long as I cook them on Low for 7-8 hours, they are perfect. Never done them on High for 4 hours, as some recipes say, but I imagine they'd be the same. Never had any crunchy ones yet! Good luck and Happy New Year, Stacey.

Kathy x

The other thing to remember, Stacey, is to place the potatoes and other veg over the base and up the sides of the slow cooker, as the veg takes longer to cook than the meat.

Last edited:
Yes, they're absolutely fine. Even when I just quarter some of the potatoes, (not enormous ones, obviously) as long as I cook them on Low for 7-8 hours, they are perfect. Never done them on High for 4 hours, as some recipes say, but I imagine they'd be the same. Never had any crunchy ones yet! Good luck and Happy New Year, Stacey. Kathy x The other thing to remember, Stacey, is to place the potatoes and other veg over the base and up the sides of the slow cooker, as the veg takes longer to cook than the meat.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Kathy :)

A very happy new year to you too x

SPANISH CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

600g chicken thighs, skin removed (can use breasts but thighs are tastier)
100g diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. red pesto - 2.5 Syns
400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
300ml hot chicken stock
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tsp. smoked paprika

Spray a deep frying pan well with Frylight.
Add the chicken, chorizo and onion.
Cook the chicken for 5 minutes without turning it over but stir the onion and chorizo.
Turn the chicken over and add the red pepper, garlic, pesto, beans, stock and the thyme sprigs.
Sprinkle the paprika over the chicken, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.

Lovely served with some SW roasties, mash or a side of couscous.

absolutely love this thread, i am only on page 6! and have lots of new recipes to try, alll should be do able with out running back and forth to the supermarket. thankyou soo much xx

GARLIC MUSHROOMS ON TOAST - Serves 2

1 or 2 Syns per serving

300g chestnut mushrooms, washed, stalks trimmed and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2-3 tbsp. of roughly chopped flatleaf parsley
1 level tsp. butter or green pesto - 2 Syns/butter, 1 Syn/pesto

Spray a frying pan well with Frylight. Use the buttery one, if you can find it anywhere!
Cook the mushrooms until they start to turn golden.
Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the parsley, mix gently and season with salt and black pepper.
Serve on a warmed plate, on a HEX serving of toast, spread with butter or pesto.

Makes a lovely lunch. It's also good on top of pasta, especially with a HEX cheese grated over!

Just had this on toast with scrambled eggs on top of the toast, then the mushrooms, then some grated cheese. It was so quick and tasty!

Last edited:
NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGE 55 AND 98

SWEET POTATO TORTILLA - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving (if using the Feta as a HEX)

12 eggs, beaten
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
180g reduced fat Feta cheese, diced (45g = 1 HEX)
16 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small/medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil (Much better for cooking the potato in than Frylight.) - 6 Syns

For the dip:

100ml half fat soured cream - 6 Syns
5 spring onions, finely sliced
A little smoked paprika/paprika

Heat a non-stick pan containing the olive oil.
Add the sweet potatoes and gently fry, allowing them to slightly colour. Set aside in a large bowl.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until slightly coloured. Add to the sweet potato bowl.
Reduce the heat and add the sliced onion. Cook until soft and translucent. Add to the bowl.
Pour the eggs into the bowl and add the Feta cheese. Season with the salt and black pepper and mix.
Wipe the pan slightly, with a sheet of kitchen roll and spray with Frylight. Heat and then pour the egg mixture in.
Let the tortilla cook and set slightly.
Meanwhile, make the dip by mixing the sliced spring onions with the soured cream. Dust with the paprika.
Turn the tortilla by placing a plate on top of the pan and turning it. Slide the tortilla back into the pan, so that the uncooked side is facing the heat. Cook until golden and set.

Last edited:
SPICY TOMATO AND BACON PASTA - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, if using the oil

350g whole-wheat pasta shapes
1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns (can just use Frylight but things don't crisp up so much)
175g bacon, cut into small, thin strips
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. sweet or smoked paprika
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
400ml passata or could use chopped tomatoes
Small handful of fresh basil, leaves roughly torn

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the bacon until crispy.
Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic with the paprika and chilli and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring.
Stir in the passata/tomatoes and cook until heated through.
Add a pinch of granulated sweetener and season to taste.
When the pasta is cooked, drain, rinse with boiling water, drain again and return to the pan.
Pour the tomato mixture over, add the basil, mix gently together until well combined and serve on warm plates.

Lovely with a HEX cheese grated over.

SPICED CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 3.5 Syns per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, finely chopped
3cm piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. each of ground cumin and ground coriander
5 cardamom pods, cracked open and seeds removed (pods discarded)
400ml Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 14.5 Syns
Juice of 2 limes

Spray a large frying pan well with Frylight and cook the seasoned chicken until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
Re-spray the pan, if necessary and add the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies. Cook for 4 mins.
Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 2 mins.
Stir in the spices and cook for a minute.
Add the coconut milk and chicken breasts. Season and simmer for 30 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally, until cooked through.
Add the lime juice just before serving.

Lovely with torn basil leaves scattered over too and served with rice and a green salad.

Hello everyone :)

Just made the kedgeree out of the latest mag....wow!! It was really simple to make and really tasty! Here are some pics!

image-602654402.jpg

image-1806185452.jpg

image-2931010959.jpg

FRUITY BREAKFAST PORRIDGE - Serves 1

I've been trying different versions of the Magic Porridge and just thought I'd share some with you. :)

35g oats
Unsweetened almond milk, enough to reach your desired consistency, or you could use yoghurt, if you prefer. Alpro unsweetened almond milk - 950ml = HEA or Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk - 875ml - HEA.
1 small banana, sliced - I always add this! I then either eat just with the banana or with the banana plus one of the ingredients from the list below:

Things I've added sp far - honey - 1 tbsp. = 2.5
brown sugar - 1 tbsp. = 3
reduced sugar jam - 1 tbsp. = 1
maple syrup - 1 tbsp. = 2
pinch of cinnamon
variety of fresh fruits - blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc
Topping - 12.5g toasted cashew nuts = 3.5

Place all the ingredients you're using (except the nuts you may be using as a topping) in a lidded container, mix gently, cover and refrigerate overnight. Add your topping, if using, and enjoy, either straight from the fridge or after leaving to reach near room temperature.

My favourite, so far, is banana, raspberry and honey, with the nut topping. Keeps me full for ages!

Last edited:
SWEET POTATO AND CHICKEN CURRY - Serves 4

3.5 Syns per serving

500g sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
4 skinless chicken thigh fillets, each cut into large chunks
2 large red onions, cut into wedges
4 level tbsp. Patak's Rogan Josh curry paste - 8 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
125g spinach

Cook the potatoes until just tender. Drain well and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the oil (because the onions need to be properly tender in this recipe, I always use oil instead of Frylight) in a large frying pan, add the chicken and onion.
Cook for about 6 minutes or until the chicken is browned and cooked through.
Stir in the curry paste, cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes.
Pour in 100ml of boiling water and mix well.
Simmer rapidly until thickened to the desired consistency.
Add the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes, until wilted.
Fold in the potatoes and heat through. If it begins to look a little dry, add a splash of water.

One of the girl's posted this on another thread.I can't wait to try it.

Slow Cooker Chilli with Baked Beans

Serves: 6
800g lean beef mince
1 1/2 onions
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (600g) jar passata
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tin baked beans

1.Place the mince in a wok or frying pan over a medium heat and cook until evenly brown. Drain the fat.
2.Place the mince in the slow cooker and mix in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.

Serving suggestion
Serve immediately with rice and grated cheese.

Mmm, yes, that sounds good! Glad you enjoy this thread, celtic-chick and glad you're back on track too. I went off it over the Christmas period but so glad to be back in the swing of things now. I think you feel so much better just to know you're trying. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Kathy x

Back