Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

SMOKEY MAPLE BAKED BEANS - Serves 4 Based on a recipe by Paul Flynn

2.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 large onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 thick slices of smoked bacon, all visible fat removed, diced
400g can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. tomato puree
300ml chicken stock
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 level tbsp. maple syrup - 4 Syns

Heat the oil over a gentle heat and add the garlic. Carefully cook until golden, but no more. This will give a roasted garlic oil but, if you cook it too much, it may burn.
Add the bacon and onions.
Cook slowly for 15 minutes and then add the tomato puree, smoked paprika and chicken stock.
Finally add the beans.
Cook for 5 more minutes, stir in the maple syrup, season with salt and pepper and serve.

This is lovely over rice or in a jacket potato, topped with a grated HEX portion of mature Cheddar.

I have to try this sometime this week.I might leave out the olive oil.Just use the garlic fry light instead.

Oh! Good idea! I didn't even know they did it!! :) Where can you get it from, cos I know my local JS doesn't have it?

Kathy x

PRAWN COCKTAIL - Serves 2

1.5 Syns per serving

Now, I know everyone knows how to put together a Prawn Cocktail but I've just had one for lunch so thought I'd post it. More to jog people's memories than anything else, really! :)

Half a small Iceberg lettuce, washed, dried and shredded
2 level tbsp. reduced salt and sugar tomato ketchup - 1 Syn
2 level tbsp. Hellmann's Extra Light Mayo - 2 Syns - could use FF Fromage Frais, Quark or BGTY crème fraiche but I prefer mayo! :)
1 tsp. Worcester Sauce
2/3 dashes of Tabasco or, to taste
300g cooked prawns, defrosted, if frozen

Put half the shredded lettuce in the bottom of 2 glass serving dishes. I mixed mine with 2 tbsp. chopped parsley, just because I had some in and, I thought, it definitely added to it.
Mix together the mayo, Worcester Sauce, Tabasco and tomato ketchup, thoroughly.
Stir the prawns into the mixture.
Spoon half the prawn mixture on top of the lettuce in the dishes. Top this with the remaining lettuce and finish with the rest of the prawn mixture.
Serve immediately.

I sprinkled mine with some smoked paprika. Sometimes I stir a little Harissa paste into the mayo mixture, for a bit of spice but, don't forget to Syn it, if you try this.

Harissa paste = 1 level tsp. - 0.5 Syn

Last edited:
SMOKEY MAPLE BAKED BEANS - Serves 4 Based on a recipe by Paul Flynn

2.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 large onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 thick slices of smoked bacon, all visible fat removed, diced
400g can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. tomato puree
300ml chicken stock
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 level tbsp. maple syrup - 4 Syns

Heat the oil over a gentle heat and add the garlic. Carefully cook until golden, but no more. This will give a roasted garlic oil but, if you cook it too much, it may burn.
Add the bacon and onions.
Cook slowly for 15 minutes and then add the tomato puree, smoked paprika and chicken stock.
Finally add the beans.
Cook for 5 more minutes, stir in the maple syrup, season with salt and pepper and serve.

This is lovely over rice or in a jacket potato, topped with a grated HEX portion of mature Cheddar.

This ^^ all my favorite foods in one! Bacon, maple syrup and beans, what's not to love? Will be having this at some point this week - maybe even as my after WI treat!
X

CHICKEN TAGINE - Serves 4. This is a take on a Sainsbury's recipe.

1 Syn per serving, if not adding olives.

2 medium onions, finely chopped. When using Frylight I always use frozen onion in stew-type recipes, as they soften much more easily.
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced or crushed
615g skinless chicken thigh fillets
2 level tsp. Ras el Hanout - 1 Syn
1 cinnamon stick
Half tsp. ground ginger
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
2 x 390g cartons chopped tomatoes
Half tsp. Harissa paste - 0.5 Syn. Add more to taste but don't forget to alter the Syn value accordingly.

Spray a large hob-proof casserole dish well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further two minutes, then set aside in a bowl.
Re-spray and add the chicken. Cook until golden on all sides.
Return the onions and garlic to the casserole dish. Add the ras el hanout, cinnamon, ginger, honey, chopped tomatoes and 150ml of water. If using olives, add them at this point too.
Cover and cook for 20 minutes, remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Turn the heat up, if necessary, for this to happen.
Stir in the Harissa paste and serve immediately.

Lovely with couscous.

If including olives, Sainsbury's suggests using 70g pitted green olives. 25g olives = 1.5 Syns or you can use some as a HEX.

MOROCCAN LAMB - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 onion, finely chopped
3 stalks of celery, finely chopped (optional)
2 tsp. crushed garlic
3 tsp. ground coriander
3 tsp. ground cumin
250ml hot chicken stock
450g extra lean lamb mince
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 medium-sized sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
2 courgettes, halved lengthways and thickly sliced

Spray a large pan well with Frylight.
Cook the onion and celery until softened. Much easier with frozen onion.
Add the garlic and spices and cook for a further minute.
Add the lamb and cook, stirring for 5 minutes, over a high heat, until browned.
Add the stock, tomatoes and sweet potato.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 mins.
Add the courgette and cook, uncovered, over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the veg are tender and the sauce has thickened.

Lovely served over pasta.

CHICKEN AND SWEET ONION - Serves 4

One and a half tbsp. sweet paprika
1 tbsp. ground cumin
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
Two and a half tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 large onions, thickly sliced
Enough skinless chicken thighs for 4 people
2 red or yellow peppers, deseeded and diced
1 lemon, sliced

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7. Spray a roasting tin well with Frylight.
In a small bowl, combine the paprika, cumin, garlic, vinegar, one and a half tsp. salt and one and a quarter tsp. of black pepper.
Put the onions into a large bowl, along with 2 tbsp. of the paste. Mix together.
Spray the chicken pieces with Frylight and rub with the remaining paste.
Put the chicken into the roasting tin, then cover with the onions, peppers and lemon.
Roast, basting occasionally with any juices, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and the veg is really tender. This should take about 50 minutes.
Remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.

Sometimes I add into the paste quarter tsp. hot chilli powder too.

This is lovely with rice, with a bit of roast garlic stirred through or with sweet potato wedges and sweetcorn.

GARLIC PARMESAN ROASTED CHICKPEAS

Makes lots so the Syn value isn't bad when shared out! 6 Syns for the whole recipe, if using the Parmesan as HEX's. 30g Parmesan = 1 HEX.

2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
50g grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. minced garlic or to taste
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - 6 Syns
Half tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Drain the chickpeas and rinse well. Dry them off with paper towels and lay them out in a single layer for about 30 minutes to dry further.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
In a bowl, mix together the oil, garlic, salt and cheese until crumbly and the oil is absorbed.
Add the chickpeas to the bowl and toss to coat.
Lie the chickpeas on a baking tray and bake for 45-60 minutes until golden and crispy. As ovens vary, keep a close eye on them once 45 minutes have passed.
As they cool they will begin to crisp up. Enjoy!

Made the oven baked risotto for dinner.... Yum!!! Definitely not a 4 person serving. There's SW me and two grown men to feed, just enough for the three of us.
I'm adding mushrooms next time and have decided to name it breakfast risotto as it will be bacon, tomato and mushrooms :-D.
Thanks for all the fab recipes. I'm working through the ones I (personally) think sound nice, may take a while though as only on page 24!! :)

Back