Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Have a fab Christmas and New Year Kathy and thanks for all the wonderful recipes you've shared with us all in 2014. I hope there will be lots more in 2015, and I'll be going back and making lots of your earlier ones, I'm sure.
Take care and enjoy, Linda xx

Hi Kathy - thank you for sharing all your fab recipes - tasty gifts for us all throughout the year!!

:109:I hope you have a very :xmassign: and a :new_year::109:Lindaxx

Thanks so much to you all, for all your lovely messages and fab cartoon illustrations (really jealous, 'cos I don't know how to do them!!). I hope you all had an amazing time. We've been away over Christmas so only back on here today! Can't wait now until all the 'naughty' food has gone. I've tried to be good but not been particularly successful! :S Oh well - we all know how to get rid of any extra pounds!! :D xx

BAKED MEATBALLS WITH GOAT'S CHEESE - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving, if using the cheese and breadcrumbs as part HEX's

500g extra lean minced beef
75g fresh breadcrumbs
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
700g passata
125ml red wine - 4.5 Syns
100g goat's cheese, cut into small chunks

Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
In a large bowl, mix together the minced beef with the breadcrumbs, 1 clove of garlic, 3 tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley and seasoning to taste. Shape into balls.
In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the meatballs for a few minutes, until browned all over. Transfer to a baking dish.
In the same frying pan, cook the remaining 2 cloves of garlic and the onion until softened, spraying with Frylight, if necessary.
Add the passata and the red wine. Season well and pour over the meatballs.
Sprinkle with the goat's cheese and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and the sauce, bubbling.

Alternatively, you can bubble it altogether, once the onion has softened, in the frying pan, for about 30-40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened, sprinkling the cheese over just before serving.

This recipe is good with spaghetti or rice and is adapted from the Delicious magazine.

Happy New Year.

Still not feeling 100% so guess a call to the drs is needed. Away in Cornwall at the moment, but restarting on Saturday when back home.. XX

TEX MEX BEEF - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. vegetable oil - 6 Syns
500g topside or rump steak - all visible fat removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
1 level tsp. cocoa - 0.5 Syn
2 tbsp. tomato puree
1 level tbsp. Discovery chipotle paste - 1 Syn
175ml chicken stock

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and brown the steak on all sides, then set aside.
Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender.
Add the cumin, paprika and cocoa powder. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, then add in the tomato puree, the chipotle paste and the chicken stock.
Season well, add the steak and simmer for 30 minutes, until sticky and the meat is tender.

Lovely served with boiled rice or SW wedges.

A take on a recipe from the Delicious magazine.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY MINIS FRIENDS!! Have a brilliant 2015, in every way! :)

Kathy xx

All the best to you and yours too Kathy. I'm looking forward to trying more of your delicious recipes in 2015 :) x

POTATO AND CHORIZO GRATIN - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving, if using the cheese as part HEX's

1 clove of garlic, crushed
100g chorizo, thinly sliced - 6.5 Syns
250g Quark or a mix of FF cottage cheese (sieved) and Quark
60g mature Cheddar - (30g hard cheese = 1xHEX/ 40g reduced fat hard cheese = 1xHEX). Could use more cheese, if necessary.
6 peeled potatoes - Albert Bartlett Rooster are good

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Slice the potatoes and boil them in slightly salted water until tender but not quite fully cooked. Drain them carefully but do not rinse.
Place the potato slices in a large bowl with the Quark/Quark mixture, crushed garlic and thinly sliced chorizo.
Fold gently and lightly season with black pepper - use a little salt if you like but take care because of the chorizo.
Put the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and put in the oven 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with the grated cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Alternatively, you can mix some of the cheese into the Quark mixture, whilst sprinkling the remainder on top.

This recipe is a variation on one by Michael Roux Jr.

Last edited:
PESTO AND TOMATO BAKED COD - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

2 cod fillets, or any white fish
2 level tbsp. green pesto - 6 Syns
6 cherry tomatoes
2 sprigs of lemon thyme

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Place the fish in a shallow baking dish and spoon a tablespoon of green pesto over each fillet.
Top with sliced cherry tomatoes, a good grinding of black pepper and a sprig of lemon thyme.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, based on the thickness of the fish. The fish should flake easily when cooked through.

Great served with SW chips/wedges and a side salad or lots of fresh veg.

Recipe based on one by Sally Bee.

If I want potatoes and yogurt do I have to syn them.
No – potatoes and yogurt are Free Foods, so (as long as there are no tweaks involved) they don’t have a Syn value. They’re just not low enough in energy density to count as a Speed food, or high enough in protein to be a Protein-rich food.

The focus of Extra Easy SP is on Speed and Protein foods. If you want to eat a Free Food that doesn’t fall into these categories, that’s fine, and you will lose weight! You don’t need to count them as Syns and there’s a special section on the Extra Easy SP food diary to jot down these occasional Free Foods. However, if you really want to boost your weight loss and tighten up, stick with S and P. (........And…. if you’re sticking religiously to Extra Easy SP, you can still have one Healthy Extra ‘a’ and two ‘b’ choices, as well as your 5-15 Syns as usual.

Got this off sw site.

POTATO AND CHORIZO GRATIN - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving, if using the cheese as part HEX's

1 clove of garlic, crushed
100g chorizo, thinly sliced - 6.5 Syns
250g Quark or a mix of FF cottage cheese (sieved) and Quark
60g mature Cheddar - (30g hard cheese = 1xHEX/ 40g reduced fat hard cheese = 1xHEX)
6 peeled potatoes - Albert Bartlett Rooster are good

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Slice the potatoes and boil them in slightly salted water until tender but not quite fully cooked. Drain them carefully but do not rinse.
Place the potato slices in a large bowl with the Quark/Quark mixture, crushed garlic and thinly sliced chorizo.
Fold gently and lightly season with black pepper - use a little salt if you like but take care because of the chorizo.
Put the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and put in the oven 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with the grated cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until golden.

This recipe is a variation on one by Michael Roux Jr.

ooh love anything with chorizo - thanks Kathy!xx

Back