Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

POTATO AND CHORIZO GRATIN - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving, if using the cheese as part HEX's

1 clove of garlic, crushed
100g chorizo, thinly sliced - 6.5 Syns
250g Quark or a mix of FF cottage cheese (sieved) and Quark
60g mature Cheddar - (30g hard cheese = 1xHEX/ 40g reduced fat hard cheese = 1xHEX)
6 peeled potatoes - Albert Bartlett Rooster are good

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Slice the potatoes and boil them in slightly salted water until tender but not quite fully cooked. Drain them carefully but do not rinse.
Place the potato slices in a large bowl with the Quark/Quark mixture, crushed garlic and thinly sliced chorizo.
Fold gently and lightly season with black pepper - use a little salt if you like but take care because of the chorizo.
Put the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and put in the oven 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with the grated cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until golden.

This recipe is a variation on one by Michael Roux Jr.

Sounds delicious!

GREEN BEANS WITH OYSTER SAUCE - Serves 2

3.5 Syns per serving

200g green beans
1 tbsp. peanut oil - 6 Syns
3 large cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 large red chilli, sliced thinly - with or without seeds
2 level tbsp. oyster sauce - 1 Syn, if using Tiger Tiger, Tesco or Asda

Place a wok over a high heat. When hot, add the oil and wait until almost smoking.
Add the green beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until they just begin to brown.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic and chilli.
Stir-fry until the garlic begins to brown slightly. As soon as it does, add the oyster sauce, along with a pinch of salt.
Continue to cook for about a minute, to allow the sauce to thicken up slightly.

Makes a tasty side-dish. You really do need the peanut oil for this recipe. Frylight just doesn't work and the peanut oil adds a subtle taste too.

This recipe is from onmyplate.

EASY TOMATO CHORIZO PASTA - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp. paprika
100g sliced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g dried pasta, cooked and drained

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion and red pepper until softened.
Add the paprika and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the chorizo and cook until crisp.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cooked pasta. Add black pepper to taste and heat for about one minute.

Lovely sprinkled with chopped, fresh basil and HEX grated cheese.

This recipe is based on a Schwartz recipe.

EASY TOMATO CHORIZO PASTA - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp. paprika
100g sliced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g dried pasta, cooked and drained

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion and red pepper until softened.
Add the paprika and cook for a further minute.
Stir in the chorizo and cook until crisp.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cooked pasta. Add black pepper to taste and heat for about one minute.

Lovely sprinkled with chopped, fresh basil and HEX grated cheese.

This recipe is based on a Schwartz recipe.

ooh tasty and easy - just what I like! thank you Kathyxx

Thank you Kathy I have copied loads of your brilliant recipes, I love recipes with just a few ingredients. When I look at a long list of 'stuff' I need to cook a meal, particularly after a long and hard days work - it completely puts me off. So these are just perfect. :)

Aw, thanks, Carole. I must admit, that's what set me off on trying to compile this thread. I can't bear loads of ingredients, either. As soon as I see them in a recipe, it puts me off and I look for a different recipe! Glad it's been of help to you. :)

Kathy x

GO TO ONE OF THE RECIPE LISTS ON PAGES 55 & 98. PRESS Ctrl and F. THIS WILL BRING UP A BOX ON THE SCREEN. TYPE, SAY 'CHICKEN' INTO THE BOX AND ALL THE RECIPES WITH CHICKEN IN WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED IN THE LIST. TYPE 'CURRY' OR 'PASTA' AND ALL THE RECIPES WITH CURRY AND PASTA IN THE TITLE WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED IN THE LIST. THANKS TO UPNDOWN FOR POINTING THIS OUT! IT MAKES LIFE A LOT EASIER! :)

EASY CHICKEN SOUP - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. veg. or olive oil - 6 Syns
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 waxy potatoes, skin on, finely diced
500g skinless chicken thighs, chopped
2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
2 dried bay leaves
1 tbsp. roughly chopped fresh, flat-leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a pan over a high heat. Saute the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes for 5 minutes.
Stir in the chicken, stock cubes, bay leaves and 1.5 litres of boiling water.
Bring to the boil then, reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables and chicken are cooked.
Discard the bay leaves. Stir through the parsley and season to taste.

Lovely with some crusty, HEX bread.

I have tried this using Frylight, instead of oil, but the result isn't as good and, for only 1.5 Syns per serving, it's not too bad. :S

This recipe is from the Eat In mag.

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy - just what we need this time of year! xx

CHICKEN AND SPINACH SOUP - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

Ingredients as for the Easy Chicken Soup, omitting the carrots.
250g frozen chopped spinach

Prepare the Easy Chicken Soup, as above (omitting the carrots).
Once cooked, blend until smooth.
Return to the pan and stir through the spinach until heated.
Garnish with the parsley.

Lovely served with crusty HEX bread and some grated Parmesan, taken from the HEX's.

Another from the Eat In mag.

MUSTARD PORK AND APPLES - Serves 4

1 Syn for the mustard and add Syns too, depending on how much your 2 apples weigh!

4 pork steaks, approx. 140g each, all visible fat removed
2 eating apples, peeled and cored and thinly sliced - 100g cooked apples, without sugar = 2 Syns
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
Small handful of fresh sage leaves, torn or, 2 tsp dried sage
200ml chicken stock
2 level tsp Dijon mustard (or more but don't forget to Syn up) - 1 Syn

Spray the pork on both sides with Frylight and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spray a large, lidded pan with Frylight and fry the pork for 2 mins, on both sides, until golden. Transfer to a plate.
Re-spray the pan and cook the apples, onions and sage for 5 mins or until the apples have softened.
Pour in the stock and spoon in the mustard, then return the pork to the pan and cover and simmer for 20 minutes, before removing the lid and cooking for a further 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by about a third and the pork is thoroughly cooked.

Lovely served with mash or mustard mash and lots of fresh veg.

I had this on Sunday and have been meaning to pop on and say thank you! It was delicious!

Aw, thanks, RosiePops! That's always good to know. It can be a bit scary sharing recipes, when people, obviously, have different tastes to yourself!! :D So glad you enjoyed it.

Kathy x

So glad Rosiepops mention the Mustard Pork & Apples. I have just bought some pork chops so will have it Sunday. Just need to get apples. Looking forward to it. Will let you know Kathy

By the way anybody, it is on page 39

Aw, thanks, RosiePops! That's always good to know. It can be a bit scary sharing recipes, when people, obviously, have different tastes to yourself!! :D So glad you enjoyed it.

Kathy x

Kathy don't be scared, the recipe bits are the busiest on here as far as I can see. I think people really appreciate anyone that takes the time to help others like you do, and give such wonderful and easy meal ideas. I know I do!! :)

Well done and thanks again.

So glad Rosiepops mention the Mustard Pork & Apples. I have just bought some pork chops so will have it Sunday. Just need to get apples. Looking forward to it. Will let you know Kathy

By the way anybody, it is on page 39

Thanks for giving the page number, Doreen. The tip Linda gave a while ago, about typing in an ingredient name and then it highlighting it on those two pages of recipes, is brilliant! I've used it several times and it makes it so much easier to find what you're looking for, doesn't it? Hope you enjoy the Mustard Pork, Doreen and hope you're keeping well. xx

Kathy don't be scared, the recipe bits are the busiest on here as far as I can see. I think people really appreciate anyone that takes the time to help others like you do, and give such wonderful and easy meal ideas. I know I do!! :)

Well done and thanks again.

Thanks, Carole. That's so kind of you and it's always good to know.

Kathy xx

CHINESE PORK FILLET - Serves 4

Approx. 0.5 Syn per serving

1 tbsp. Chinese 5-Spice
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
150g sugar snap peas
4 tbsp. tomato puree
450g thinly sliced veg. for stir-frying - peppers, cabbage, beansprouts, etc., or a pack of ready prepared stir-fry veg.
550g pork fillet, sliced and all visible fat removed
Half tsp. chilli powder
300g dried egg noodles
6 tbsp. reduced-salt soy sauce

Mix the honey, chilli powder, 5-Spice, tomato puree and 4 tbsp. of the soy sauce together in a bowl.
Put the pork slices into the mix, ensuring the meat is thoroughly covered. Leave to marinate, covered in the fridge, for several hours or overnight.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with Frylight and heat.
Cook the pork for approx. 4 minutes, turning from time to time.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles as per cooking instructions on the pack.
After the 4 minutes, add the stir-fry veg and cook, stirring, for a further 4 minutes.
Add 2 tbsp. of soy sauce and cook for a further 2 minutes.
When ready to serve, drain the noodles, placing the sugar snap peas immediately into the vacated warm pan, just to take the chill off them. These need to be raw and crunchy when served. You could, of course, cook them with the other veg, if you prefer.
Tip the drained noodles onto warmed plates and top with the pork mixture and sugar snap peas.

This recipe is based on one by Amy Jones.

CHICKEN, CHORIZO AND BORLOTTI BEAN STEW - Serves 4

4 Syns per serving

2 red onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Pinch of chilli flakes - to taste
240g chorizo, sliced - approx. 16 Syns
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into small chunks
6 boned and skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
2x400g chopped tomatoes
600ml chicken stock
600g canned borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
A small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onions and garlic over a medium heat until beginning to soften.
Add the chilli flakes and red pepper. Cook for a minute, before adding the chicken and chorizo.
Fry for a couple of minutes, or until the chorizo releases its oils.
Add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the borlotti beans.
Cook for a further 20 minutes or until the stew has reduced and thickened, then stir in three quarters of the chopped coriander.
Serve on warmed plates, garnished with the remaining coriander.

Lovely served with a chunk of crusty HEX bread.

This scrummy recipe is by a lady called Abbe.

Back