Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

SPICY CHICKPEA SOUP - Serves 4

Syn Free

100g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 stick of celery, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. grated root ginger
825ml vegetable stock

Bring the chickpeas to the boil in plenty of unsalted water. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Drain.
Place in a non-stick pan with the vegetables and cook gently for a few minutes.
Stir in the spices and ginger and, lastly, add the stock. Season with salt and black pepper.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until the chickpeas are cooked and tender.
Either have the soup as it is or blend it (or some of it) to the desired consistency.

This recipe is from the Vegetarian Society.
Ooh, this sounds yummy - will definitely give this a go!

We really enjoyed it, although must admit we added a little more pasta ;)

Also put in some Philadelphia Light Garlic & Herb and it was yummy !!!!! :)

So glad you enjoyed it. Philly is brilliant, isn't it and so low in Syns too. :)

Kathy

ORIENTAL-STYLE SPAGHETTI SALAD - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

250g wholewheat spaghetti
1 tbsp. sesame oil - 6 Syns
Half a cucumber
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
250g leftover roast pork/chicken/beef, shredded
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. soy sauce

Cook the spaghetti, according to pack instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Toss with 1 tsp. of the sesame oil. Set aside.
Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and use a teaspoon to scoop the seeds out.
Slice into half moons and toss with the carrot matchsticks, red pepper, spring onions, cooked spaghetti and shredded meat.
In a small bowl, make a dressing by whisking together the remaining sesame oil, lemon juice and soy sauce.
Mix the dressing through the spaghetti salad to serve.

This is based on a recipe from the Asda magazine.

Thank you soooo much for your amazing recipies. Will def be trying a lot of them :happy096:;)

Aw, thank, Maggie. Much appreciated. :) Sorry they are lacking in photos but I'm rubbish on the computer! :D

Kathy x

SPICED CHICKEN NUGGETS - Serves 4

Syn Free

3 skinless chicken breasts
Half a tablespoon of ground ginger
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tbsp. curry powder
Handful of coriander leaves

Add the chicken, spices and coriander to a food processor, along with salt and pepper, to taste. Blitz until well mixed.
Divide into 8 to 12 pieces, roll into balls and flatten slightly. The mixture is very sticky so you may want to lightly dust your hands with flour.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and put over a medium heat.
Fry for 6-7 minutes on each side, or until thoroughly cooked through.

Good served with noodles, salad and, maybe, a home-made tomato sauce.

This recipe is by Amy Jones, adapted from Slimming World.

HEALTHY MUSHROOM SOUP - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 red onion, finely sliced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
800g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp. chives, finely chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
Soy sauce, to taste

Spray the bottom of a large, lidded pan with some Frylight.
Cook the onion until soft. Easier with the lid on.
Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, then stir in the mushrooms and chives.
Pour over the stock, then cover with a lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
With a slotted spoon, take out half the mushrooms and blitz the rest in a blender, with a few glugs of soy sauce and black pepper, to taste.
Return the mushroom slices to the pan, re-heat and serve in warmed bowls, maybe with a chunk of crusty HEX bread.

Could serve with a swirl of crème fraiche and some snipped chives on top. WW crème fraiche - 1 tbsp. = 0.5 Syn.

This recipe is by Katie Bryson.

SPAGHETTI WITH BROAD BEAN PESTO - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, if using cheese as part HEX's

300g frozen broad beans
2 tbsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil - 6 Syns
350g dried whole-wheat spaghetti
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
Grated Parmesan or other cheese to sprinkle over

Bring a medium pan of water to the boil and add the broad beans. Simmer until tender. Drain and cool, then peel and discard the skins.
Blend the broad beans, parsley, garlic, lemon juice and oil in a food processor until almost smooth. Season to taste.
Cook the spaghetti until tender. Drain and return to the pan.
Stir the tomatoes and broad bean mixture through the pasta.
Serve on warmed plates/bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese.

This recipe is from the Eat In magazine.

FULL INDEX ON PAGE 55 AND 98

WHOLE CHICKEN IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 6

Syn Free

2kg whole chicken
2 onions, sliced into rings
Dried rub mix of :
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder plus a pinch of salt

Combine the dried ingredients together.
Slash the skin of the chicken to allow some of the dried rub flavour to seep through as, unfortunately ladies, we won't be eating the skin!! :D
Rub the dried mixture well into the chicken, paying particular attention to the slashed areas.
Place the onion rings in the base of the slow cooker and place the chicken on top.
Cook on Low for 7-8 hours with the lid firmly shut.
Ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked through before serving.

If you like, you can always put some potato pieces and other veg over the base and up the sides of the cooker and maybe pour a couple of tablespoons of hot chicken stock over. If not adding in any vegetables, it really doesn't need any liquid adding in as it just cooks in its own juices. Mmmm! :)

Just searched 'whole chicken' on the recipe site and came across this so going to make it tomorrow! bought a chicken and really want to use my slow cooker again as I've abandoned it since the weather got a little nicer :rolleyes: Thanks Kathy. Will let you know how it goes! x

SWEET POTATO AND CHICKPEA STEW - Serves 2

Syn Free

1 large red onion, finely chopped
Half a large sweet potato, skin on, chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can chickpeas, drained
300ml vegetable stock (optional - you may not need it at all)

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and sauté the onion and garlic until softened. Quicker with the lid on.
Add the sweet potato, chickpeas and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potato is tender. Add the stock if the sauce reduces too much and starts catching on the bottom of the pan. Season to taste.

Good served with a fresh, green salad. Could always add some olives in (Synned), if you like and, maybe sprinkle with some grated HEX cheese.

This recipe is based on one from the Eat In mag.

Just searched 'whole chicken' on the recipe site and came across this so going to make it tomorrow! bought a chicken and really want to use my slow cooker again as I've abandoned it since the weather got a little nicer :rolleyes: Thanks Kathy. Will let you know how it goes! x

Thanks, slimmerem. I did a joint of brisket in mine last week, without any liquid and the taste was fab! Must admit, the first time I tried a joint/chicken without liquid, it was scary but it tastes so much better on its own. Sometimes I screw up a few balls of foil and sit it on them, if you'd prefer not to have it directly on the base of the cooker and that works well too. Anyway, enjoy! :) xx

Thanks, slimmerem. I did a joint of brisket in mine last week, without any liquid and the taste was fab! Must admit, the first time I tried a joint/chicken without liquid, it was scary but it tastes so much better on its own. Sometimes I screw up a few balls of foil and sit it on them, if you'd prefer not to have it directly on the base of the cooker and that works well too. Anyway, enjoy! :) xx

Thanks for the tip :) x

Can imagine the whole chicken in the slow cooker to be really juicy. think I'll try this. something the kids will love to thanks

SWEET POTATO SHAVINGS

Syn Free

2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tsp. salt
Half tsp. cracked black pepper
1 tsp. smoked or sweet paprika

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Line two large baking trays with foil.
Using a vegetable peeler, peel the potatoes into long, thin lengths. Pat dry with kitchen towel.
Spread the potato shavings on the prepared trays. Spray with Frylight.
Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the trays from the oven, turn the shavings over and spray again with the Frylight. Bake for 10 minutes more or until crisp.
Meanwhile, place the salt, pepper and paprika in a small frying pan over a moderate heat.
Dry-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Serve the potato shavings with the salt mixture, in a small bowl, on the side.

This recipe is from the Eat In magazine.

STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKES - Serves 4

2.5 Syns each, if using Alpen Light bars as HEX or 5 Syns each, if using a McVities Ginger Nut as the base

4 Ginger Nut biscuits - 10 Syns OR 2 x Alpen Light bars (any flavour) as HEX's
200g tub Philly Lightest - 8 Syns
200g tub 0% Fat Greek yoghurt
Sweetener to taste
Vanilla extract, to taste or vanilla seeds, scraped from a pod
2 level tbsp. reduced sugar jam - 2 Syns
100g strawberries, hulled and sliced

If using Ginger Nuts - put them in a plastic food bag and bash with a rolling pin until you have slightly chunky crumbs. Divide between 4 glasses or glass bowls.
If using Alpen Light bars, either chop them into small pieces and place the bits into the base of 4 glasses or glass bowls OR soften slightly in the microwave and press them down into the base of the glasses.
Beat the Philly, yoghurt, sweetener and vanilla extract/seeds together until smooth.
Spoon over the biscuit bases and chill until ready to serve.
Just before serving, warm the jam for a few seconds in the microwave, then stir until loosened.
Stir the jam into the strawberry slices.
Divide the jammy strawberries between the glasses and serve.

This is based on a recipe from the Good Food site. One of the reviewers of the recipe said she also mixed a little balsamic vinegar and black pepper into the strawberry topping so, if that takes your fancy, you could always give it a go!

Well I made the slow cooker chicken and omg it was delish. I'd have never even contemplated putting a whole chicken in a slow cooker but it turned out perfectly. The foil idea was handy too! Thanks Kathy, you're a superstar!! x

Back