Dental Treatment New law

Its not discrimination, its for safety reasons because of the risks involved

It doesnt seem to be anything new, if you look online this seems to have been practise for a long time

It may well have been a practise but has not been a LAW.
My sister has been a theatre sister for many years and scoffed at this absurdity. Of course there are always risks no matter what size you are and overweight increases that risk. However, to say that you have to be a certain BMI or get refused is absurd!! More importantly is whatever other ailments the person has. It's discrimination!!!:mad:

It may well have been a practise but has not been a LAW.
My sister has been a theatre sister for many years and scoffed at this absurdity. Of course there are always risks no matter what size you are and overweight increases that risk. However, to say that you have to be a certain BMI or get refused is absurd!! More importantly is whatever other ailments the person has. It's discrimination!!!:mad:

Well clearly the dental powers that be think the risks are high. Its not like theyre saying they wont treat people with a high BMI theyll offer them alternatives to the sedation.

I cant see how its discrimination when its for the patients safety :confused::confused: Other things have weight restrictions, things like Alton Towers wont let you on a lot of rides if youre over a certain weight, thats not discrimination either, again, its for safety.

I sure as hell wouldnt want to get a procedure that the dentist felt was a risk to my health. My BMI is well over that but its not something Im going to lose any sleep over despite the fact I have dental work which is getting done in the next few months. If it was a general anaesthetic for surgery Id be really concerned but I cant think of any dental work that MUST have the patient sedated

Last edited:
I didn't know this. I was planning on seeing a dentist soon because I was told to years ago but can't yet. I think it's awful , what are we supposed to do? I had a general in 2005 and was ok so why not this?

But you can still see a dentist I dont think there are many dental procedures now that need a sedation. There are loads they can do without them, my friends dentist doesnt even do injections any more their equipment is so high tech

But you can still see a dentist I dont think there are many dental procedures now that need a sedation. There are loads they can do without them, my friends dentist doesnt even do injections any more their equipment is so high tech

No injections!!! Tell me more, what do they use instead?

I think there have been cases in some dental practices whereby patients have had heart attacks under sedation or during treatment and not all of them have the facilities to cope with such an emergency. At my BMI i would not qualify for sedation but if you really needed it my dentist has advised he would send you to hospital.

I think there have been cases in some dental practices whereby patients have had heart attacks under sedation or during treatment and not all of them have the facilities to cope with such an emergency. At my BMI i would not qualify for sedation but if you really needed it my dentist has advised he would send you to hospital.

Good that you updated this thread as I have since been made aware that the dental practices where sedation had been used did not have the necessary facilities if such a thing as a cardiac arrest took place.
My tooth will be extracted at the hospital where I have opted for a "vallium" injection (or somthing of that ilk).There is the somewhat daunting prospect of the wait for an appointment and it is only in the last week that I now have one for February. Just hope the pain doesn't flare up between now and then!!..:D

Back