Dep-provera,anyone?

Hi

If you start it at any other time in your cycle it will yake 7 days to work. If you start it on the first day of your period it will work straight away.
If you decide to start it tonite, you will either have to behave yourself for 7 days or use condoms aswell

Deb

I am using condoms too anyway.....so another 7 days wont hurt.......think I may start it tonight then. As its a couple of weeks till my next period....and wanna get it on the go...lol.

Deleted - Posted on the wrong thread. Must Take More Brain Pills plus three packs plus 4 litres.

Last edited:
Hello!
I had the Depo injection for around 6 years, no problems whatsoever, no periods, nothing! Had the Implanon implant done in April '06, which lasts 3 years, still no periods (yay!) and no problems!:bliss: Only reason I switched, I was informed that Implanon contains less of everything (hormones) which can only be a plus-point in my book. It lasts longer than Depo, and as mentioned by someone before, at least you're not getting a surge of hormones every 3 months - it's a gradual release. I was totally aware of all possible side-effects, and was also given the printout which is attached to each dosage every 3months by the nurse (whether I wanted it or not!). This clearly lists all the side-effects too, even if your GP doesn't explain. All this garble is also contained on each Pill pack, or info leaflets on any contraception - or better still - ask! If anyone is planning on changing their method of contraception, you should always do your own research online, ask practice nurses/GP, take info leaflets, etc. :read: The hp's are often busy, time limited, and probably cover the essentials, assumming you're going to read-up the other bits. Not ideal, but they don't generally go into detail about side effects on many other medications or treatments either!:sigh: Anyways, enough already! I'd thoroughly recommend Implanon to anyone! :D

I had a Depo jab on my GP's advice on Feb 8th and so began a nightmare lasting six months ... yes, it was SIX months before it was out of my system (I had my first proper period only three weeks ago).
I was 13st when I had the jab ... I am now around 16st. Half a stone a month gained! I wanted to eat for England and was so pre-mentrual with huge mood swings - it was awful.

Now I just feel cr*p without the help of Depo because of various things - the weight gain being one. It has destroyed my confidence and I'm utterly depressed. Trying to get back on track and lose what I've gained is a soul destroying task.
I'd never recommend Depo to anyone. Although I accept that SOME people might find it OK, it's such a gamble to have a mass dose of hormones pumped into your system: if it doesn't suit you then, basically, it's tough luck until it runs out and that might take longer than three months (double that time in my case).

What if I'd had another jab after three months? I'd still have had the residue from the last one and a new dose on top!! <shudder!!>
I asked my doc about side effects before the jab and he said I should 'be OK'. I wish I'd waited and done some research first ... after I had the jab, I looked on the internet and found out that over 70% of women experience weight gain on Depo ... perhaps not the best choice for those battling with a weight problem!

I'm quite interested in the sound of those implants (although I wish I could steer clear of hormones completely) - the small drip-feed of hormones sounds a lot better than a big dose on one go. I might enquire about it at my surgery.

Sorry to hear you've had such a mare with Depo, Russian Doll. My nurse told me that if any weight gain was to happen, it would be very noticable within the first 3months of the 1st injection. It was imperative therefore that if this happened, to inform her immediately, and no more Depo would be given. Not sure about everyone else who's on/had Depo, but I used to be weighed and have BP taken every 3months before it was administrated.
It would be fab not to have any extra hormones I agree, but if you're as adamant as I am not to have any kids, then so be it! I used to joke with my nurse asking if she'd put one jab in each butt-cheek - just to double make sure I wouldn't fall pregnant!!! Now I have the reassurance of the Implanon for 3 years! It wouldn't do any harm enquiring further about its' compatability for you Russian Doll. You never know - it may suit you perfectly! Fingers crossed for you!
ps: fabulously sunny here today - yay!! :character00238:

For anyone over 30 something I have forgotten and who is overweight........I was really set on one of 3 plans, depo injection, the implant or the POP, after careful consideration and the fact I could start the pill starightaway with extra protection for a week I chose the Progesteron only pill. Though was nearly swayed to have the implant, so if I dont get on with the pill I will change to the implant

Sorry to hear about your experience, RD. Sonkie do let us know how you get on with the new pill! Debs can you advise on how I would go about getting the Implanon? My next depo is due on 11th Sept - should I arrange to have it that day? Think that sounds best for me as I would def forget to take a pill .... cheers

To get Implanon you just need to phone your GP Practice and ask who the Doctor is that will administer it. Usually one per practice. My doctor did it during a normal appointment which was pre-arranged (as they have to order the implant from the chemist). You could also go to your local family planning clinic (gosh does that make you feel like a teenager!) - They also carry out these procedures.

thanks lollypop

Sorry this isn't strictly CD-related.... but I have been on this contraceptive for a long time - which has co-incided with my massive weight gain - I wonder if its anything to do with it?

Anyone else had that?

Also wondering if being on CD will affect it ....

And any suggestions for an alternative? I can't go on the pill as I once had a blood clot .. :confused:

Mrs pink you're in a very similar situation to me, i was on depot for 5 yrs as i've had 2 spontaneous dvts aged 18 and 19 and so been on lifelong warfarin since, i gained 6 stone since being on the depot and i know it's not entriely attributed to the depot but it doesn't help, also found it extrememly difficult to lose weight whilst on the depot, have been off it for 6 months and on mini pill and still struggling to lose weight, the CD wont affect how the depot works if anything it'll work better as there'll be more progesterone to go in a smaller space...same kind of reason why some mini pills if you're over a certain weight you may have to take 2 tablets. Good luck with the CD, i'm on day 5 and my tummy is really grumlbing

Hi Nina
Shame you have to be on warfarin (rat poison, isn't it?!?!) My dad was on that for years - he had a few clots. I know the symptoms so I know what to watch out for - and you can be sure I'll be wiggling my toes like crazy on the plane next week!
Well done on getting to day 5 - keep it up and don't cheat! It makes it sooooo much harder .....

Back