Depot Injection and weightloss...

Hehe - there is the implant which goes in your arm for three years I think?
Try the injection and see how you get on, it suits some people fine.

Other than that I'd say reconsider the coil.... my Dr highly recommended it to me, but I was unsure as I don't like the whole "looking at my bits" thing.

Have a look at the link that spaceangel posted near the top of the thread. x

By the way, I have a coil and it is my favourite thing! It wasn't nice having it installed, but not horrendous, either, and I have had it for seven years with no trouble apart from the odd heavier period.

Hi - been on the depo injection for years, have gained and lost weight whilst on it but have to admit to not getting rid of the final half a stone so that could be down to me or the depo (let's just say it's the depo to make me feel good!).

Anyway I did go for the coil earlier in the year but did not have a good experience - basically as I had been on the depo for years the uterus had shrunk and softened, when the coil was inserted the Dr did not get any resistance (this is when they know it's in the right place) and therefore pushed it straight through! The pain was horrendous and I was made to feel that I was making a fuss about nothing. It took a scan/xray to find the coil and then it had to be removed under a general anaesthetic. i am now back on the depo and putting up with the last half stone!

the depo and pill makes you more hungry, thats why you gain weight cos its seems like your never full, if you know what i mean

ooohh lindam that post made me wince...poor you, never liked the look of the coil and after that no way lol

I'm kinda lucky in a way having become celibate since August cos most men are to$$pots :D I don't have to worry about periods either cos I don't have em. I cant have the pill/coil/depo or rod. The only contraception the doctors recommend for me is condoms.

Lou I know your nervous about letting a doctor see you down there but as someone who has been having regular smears since I was 17 can I just say please don't be. Just think of it as their job they have probably seen millions of flues and yours will be no different to em hun.

Maybe make an appointment with your local practice nurse and maybe have a chat with her. x

Thanks ikkle... I know I need to go, I just need to pluck up the courage. I WILL do it though as my Mum had breast cancer, but luckily they spotted it early so she got through it. So it's really important that things are spotted asap. x

i HATE the depo with a passion. was on it for 2 years - the 1st year 2 stone fell off me without trying, then it started going on! grrrr! had gyno problems after the 1st year too. i really hate the depo and wish i knew then what i know now. i strongly recommend reading up on the cons aswell as the pros.

the nurses at my surgery went on a conference about the depo and they have evidence that it causes weight gain. when they found this out they were trying to pursuade me to have the coil fitted....and were reluctant to give me the depo again.

cerazette (minipill) is quite good as you have lots of time to take your pill each day if you forget and it will still works - gp's don't like prescribing it as it's expensive. if you want to go on it mention it and say you want it as you can be quite forgetful at remember to take tablets.

for those who have come off the pill/depo/etc. - if your periods haven't returned for months and months then speak to your gp. apparently if you come off the pill but have no periods it can be unhealthy for your womb, as the lining can build up and cause complications such as endometriatis. my gp gave me 10 days worth of tablets - which were awful, but they brought my periods back - thank god!

Back