Diabetes, baby & my rejoin!

Sugarbaby

So... I rejoined SW last week after getting to target 3 years ago.

I've had type 1 diabetes for half my life, but the baby thing is almost brand new (my little girl is 10 months now).
I never used to understand how easy it was to eat a childs food, or grab a drive through mcdonalds because she's asleep in her car seat and I'm hungry lol.
I gained 5 stone with pregnancy, I rejoined with 48lbs to lose (about 3.5 stone?)

Just had my first weigh in and I'm a bit gutted!
I followed plan 100% for 5 days. Messed up a touch one day, and had a blow out on new years eve where I ate everything in sight.
The trouble I've had is that in my 100% days I've had low blood sugar everyday which has meant I've had to have sugar (which had consisted of biscuits, crisps, white bread and lucozade this week)
(Note to self, reduce insulin to prevent hypos and the inevitable cupboard raid lol)

Back to my weigh in... I gained 2 lbs. I've been a member twice before and never gained in week 1 .

I started a food diary (spreadsheet style) on Monday which has really helped me to stay on track, I've even included my hypo (low blood sugar) syns this week.

Seeing I bought a 12 week countdown I can't quit now, and I won't. Food shop has been done, meals have been planned and I'm excited for a double whammy loss next week.

I'll update with my progress and let's see if I get the results I want.

50lbs to go xxxx

I am also diabetic. I log in mfp which has improved my glucose control because I match my injections to carbs more accurately. I constantly have to adjust my ratio because losing weight and exercise affects insulin resistance, more if type 2 but type 1's too if overweight. It's so easy to hypo and a pain when you really don't want the calories. I think the best approach is to take it slow, try not to compare yourself with non diabetics and adjust as you go along.

Good luck

That makes sense!
I remember on my first go at slimming world I tried my hardest to eat pasta or something carby instead of lucozade but it's not that easy when you're out and about.
It's not the end of the world either, i'd rather gain 2 lbs than leave it untreated!!

If I wasn't on SW I'd have gained a lot more this week xx

I use half a pack of love hearts .followed by either an oatcake or an alpen light. You can keep it to 3 syns if you can still use the alpen light as a hexb.

You are just getting back into the swing of slimming world so don't be too hard on yourself about a small gain over new year. You'll get into a routine and then it will be easier. It's a healthy diet so it will be good for your baby too.

Back