Diary of a Fat Fairy

Welcome to my diary.
I will start off by saying I was on minimins a very long time ago but I thought a fresh diet start needed a fresh account.
I'll also let you know now that I plan on using this diary as an 'everything' diary, sometimes I may be oversharing but I like having somewhere to come and dump my thoughts...you have been warned!
Oh and I have a terrible habit of overusing emojis and exclamation points so I'm sorry in advance for anyone reading this thing.

Here is a little about me.
My name is Claire and I'm in my early 30's. I am currently single and have no children. I do volunteer work in animal rescue and that is pretty much my life (and I love it!) I have a little nephew who I look after once a week and seeing him is the highlight of my week.
I have agoraphobia, borderline personality disorder, social anxiety and ptsd. I also have type 2 diabetes. My physical and mental health are not so great right now but I'm working on improving both.

Years ago I took the prescribed medication Xenical/Orlistat and I very quickly lost about 6 stone, that weight has stayed off.
Sadly like many other people I wanted a quicker weight loss and started trying meal replacements which never worked for me but that didn't stop me trying over and over and over again. I kept losing and gaining the same 2 stone and years later I'm no slimmer!
So after advice from some amazing nutritionists and personal trainers I've decided to give healthy eating a go. I'm also going to be adding some exercise. I've tried healthy eating and usually end up restricting too much and then get hungry and give up. This time I've been told I need to eat approx 1800-2000 calories a day, which seems awfully high but I'm trusting the professionals and I'll see how I get on. That calorie allowance is based on my current weight, my TDEE and activity levels.

I've added my stats on my profile but they're not coming up on the side under my pic like they used to.
My starting weigh is - Weight - 18st 7lbs

Let the weight loss begin!!

Food Diary - Day 1
Breakfast
-2 slices nimble bread
-2 large eggs, poached
-2 salad tomatoes

Lunch
-1 wholemeal pitta
-Kebab spiced Oumph!
-Natural yogurt and mint sauce to make a dressing
-Mixed salad
-100g McCain oven chips

Dinner
-3 weetabix
-200ml semi skimmed milk

Snacks
-1 bag quavers
-1 celery stick with 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
-1 small banana
-25g unsalted mixed nuts

Total Calories - 1712

Welcome Clairey, lovely to see you back here! And emoji away to your heart's content, I do the same :D.

I like the sound of your healthy eating plan, lots of flexibility and choice, and nothing banned, so to speak.

We're here to cheer you on! xx

Welcome back and good luck on your healthy diet journey - your first day's food looks great!

the higher cals is right and good - it also gives you room to reduce your cals as you come down rather than constantly be starving and it stall because you're not eating enough :)

it might be worth you starting a myfitness pal account if you haven't got one already - it calculates it all for you on your information and then it tells you when you've lost enough to take a step down. I also find it easier to use the barcode scanner to add things onto the page.

BUT please make sure that you check the cals are right after entering it if you choose a prelisted one or scanning the barcode as sometimes (and it is usually rare) they can be wrong. I had a tesco vegetarian kiev last night and it said on the barcode scan that it was 100 cals less than it is. (not vegetarian but also not a massive meat eater either :) ) Good luck and welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread everyone :D

SunHill I do have a MFP account and log my food every time I eat something! I always check my food packets to make sure the info on mfp is what it should be. I've noticed so far a few items I've added have more than 1 option with different calorie amounts so I'm definitely double checking everything.

As weird as it sounds I'm actually struggling to eat enough calories.
Before this healthy eating I was pretty much just snacking on junk all day so that's where my calories came from.
Now I'm eating healthy it's really difficult to try and eat about 2000! I think it's because I'm vegetarian and diabetic so I'm trying to keep my carbs down and I don't eat meat so can't snack on meats which would be low carb! So I'm sort of already wondering what else I could be eating so my menus don't get too 'samey' and I get bored.
Any food ideas welcome!

Food Diary - Day 2
Breakfast
-Quaker oats porridge sachet made with water
-100g Strawberries
-Weight Watchers fromage frais yogurt - peach

Lunch
-Warburtons wholemeal protein wrap (used as pizza base)
-30g reduced fat mature cheese
-Tomato puree
-Chopped onion, mushrooms and peppers (for pizza toppings)
-Large mixed salad

Dinner
-2 slices nimble bread
-1 poached egg
-1/2 tin reduced salt and sugar baked beans
-2 Tesco lincolnshire sausages
-2 rashers Tesco meat free bacon
-2 Asda hash browns

Snacks
-25g unsalted mixed nuts
-1 small banana
-1 packet walkers french fries - ready salted
-Weight Watchers fromage frais yogurt - Apricot
-1 celery stick with 1 tablespoon peanut butter

Total Calories - 1717

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread everyone :D

SunHill I do have a MFP account and log my food every time I eat something! I always check my food packets to make sure the info on mfp is what it should be. I've noticed so far a few items I've added have more than 1 option with different calorie amounts so I'm definitely double checking everything.

As weird as it sounds I'm actually struggling to eat enough calories.
Before this healthy eating I was pretty much just snacking on junk all day so that's where my calories came from.
Now I'm eating healthy it's really difficult to try and eat about 2000! I think it's because I'm vegetarian and diabetic so I'm trying to keep my carbs down and I don't eat meat so can't snack on meats which would be low carb! So I'm sort of already wondering what else I could be eating so my menus don't get too 'samey' and I get bored.
Any food ideas welcome!

I had gestational diabetes a few years ago when I was pregnant and I am also vegetarian and trying to eat low GI and I have the same problem as you! Last night I was 500cal short and I had to force myself to eat (there's a sentence I never thought I would write ) and had a boiled egg and 2 slices of low GI bread with laughing cow. Have to admit, I am not overly strict as you would be on sugar but I find nuts great for snacking and building up cals for a relatively small amount of food. Also boiled egg, cheese strings or babybels. I also eat hummus with carrots, but I think they are carby so maybe you could switch to a different veg to dip, also apple slices with nut butters.

Do you eat quorn? There are cooked cocktail sausages that are in the chilled fridge... half the pack would be 200cals..

Cant think of anything else.. Its a while since I had the pregnancy diabetes so I am sorry if I suggested anything that is completely unsuitable!

Yes I can see that you're limited - do you see a diabetic nurse I wonder - or use the Diabetes UK website - you might get ideas from there? Good luck!

Orla_D Thank you so much for the suggestions. I totally forgot about the quorn cocktail sausages, they're not my favourite but would be handy to have in the fridge.
I do tend to snack on cheese but like my planner on mfp for today, I'm 'over' on my fat allowance but if I'm cutting carbs then hopefully having a little extra fat won't hurt too much.
I've actually never tried hummus! I think I might have to give that a go.

Upndown I was referred to the diabetic clinic and saw someone last year but they just told me to 'eat healthy' and take my medication! Not too helpful.
I'm on some diabetic facebook groups but a lot of people do really low carb and use lots of meat/fish/chicken.
I don't even know how many carbs I should be aiming for a day.

See things just seem complicated because of being veggie and diabetic! This is the reason I give up with healthy eating and try meal replacements, you don't have to count or think about anything then but I can't stick to them :(
Sorry for the moan everyone, I'm having one of 'THOSE' days. The weather isn't helping, I'm hot and sweaty and I feel like I'll never get to my goal weight.

Food Diary - Day 3
Breakfast
-2 weetabix
-150ml semi skimmed milk
-Weight Watchers fromage frais - Raspberry

Lunch
-Wholemeal sandwich thin
-Linda McCartney mozzarella burger
-1 Dairylea light cheese slice
-20g Reduced sugar ketchup
-100g McCain skin on fries
-Mixed salad

Dinner
-50g feta cheese
-2 quorn fillets with bbq seasoning
-Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Red onion, Sweetcorn
-Tesco red pepper salad dressing

Snacks
-1 small banana
-1 medium apple
-25g unsalted mixed nuts
-1 celery stick with 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter

Total Calories - 1659

Last edited:
Have you looked at the blood sugar diet at all? Obvs you aren't necessarily wanting to do thr calorie restriction (although you might fall into it) but the principles might really help.
One of the main things is to cut bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and cereal. Think about replacing with veg, bulger wheat etc.
Might also be a good place to start with snacks (if you need them-when dealing with diabetes, arguably better to avoid).
Well done!

Food Diary - Day 4
Breakfast
Quaker oats so simple sachet made with water
Weight Watchers layered fromage frais - Apricot

Lunch
2 slices nimble bread
2 large eggs, poached
15g clover light
2 salad tomatoes
1 small banana

Dinner (this is my absolute favourite dinner so it'll be listed a lot!!)
50g feta cheese
2 quorn fillets with bbq seasoning
Lettuce, Cucumber, Cherry tomatoes, Red onion
Splash of vinegar

Snacks
25g unsalted mixed nuts
2 laughing cow light cheese triangles
Light and free skyr yogurt - Raspberry razzle
Walkers french fries, ready salted

Total Calories - 1285

So yesterday was HOT and I really wasn't in the mood to be eating (not like me at all!) so I ended the day on just 1285 calories. I guess the problem is, when it's hot I do just want a nice big salad and it doesn't come to a lot of calories even though I have a huge plate of it.
It's been explained to me why it's important to keep my calories higher to start with...when I start losing weight I'll have to start reducing my calorie intake and if I'm already only eating minimal calories then trying to reduce those will have me eating next to nothing.

As well as the healthy eating I'm trying to exercise more.
I started out attempting a Leslie Sansone walking at home video, the 3 mile one. A few days ago I struggled to finish it and felt like I was dying half way through! This morning for the first time I completed the video (all 44 minutes of it but who's counting!) and had so much energy afterwards I felt like running laps round the garden!
However I got a fitbit to make sure I'm getting the steps in that I should be and the damn thing has only recorded my 3 miles of walking as 1.8 miles and 4000 steps when it should be 6000 :( Gutted and pretty annoyed. I wonder if it's because the walking video isn't just walking on the spot...there is a lot of other moves included too and maybe the fitbit wasn't picking those up.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
My goal for today is to leave the house (as an agoraphobic that's a huge thing for me!) and go for an actual walk in the sunshine :D

Food Diary - Day 5
Breakfast
Quaker oats so simple porridge made with water
100g strawberries
1 small banana
Light and free skyr yogurt - Blueberry blast

Lunch
200g Jacket potato with grated cheese and red onion
Mixed salad

Dinner
2 quorn fillets with bbq seasoning
50g feta cheese
Lettuce, Cucumber, Cherry tomatoes, Red onion
Tesco red pepper salad dressing

Snacks
50g light garlic and herb cream cheese
1 carrot

Total Calories - 1130

I have walked my butt off today! I wore my fitbit for the first time and managed to get over 10,000 steps in. I also went for a walk OUTSIDE (huge thing for me!) I went with my sister and we did just over a mile, it was so nice to be out in this weather as it'd cooled off just before it started to rain.
I'm finding the more I exercise the less hungry I am though. Very odd.

Well done for getting outside - that is fabulous! Little steps and often (in the weight loss as well as pushing through and getting outside) you're doing so well! Careful with your calories though my love, they're looking a little low

Back