Diary of a fat kid who turned into a fat dude !

korbendallas

Hello,

I thought this might help keep me motivated and share what i'm going through with the rest of you.

backstory

Since the age of 10 when I was put on massive does of steriods to cure mild asthma I have struggled with weight (Balooning 2-3 stone right after and never getting down to a normal weight after). To combat my weight I was always incredibly active a rugby player, football, basketball even playing rugby (at age grade) to the highest level, constant gym time and working out used to keep my weight down but even so I was still overweight.

After finishing school and university I got into a series of jobs and stopped exercising, this prompted the weight to just pile onto me.

I took a stand about 3 years ago and went on a sensible diet and exercise routine with the aim of playing rugby again and lost 3 and a half stone and got into pretty good shape, unfortunately I got offered a new job which was a "field" based job meaning I spent up to 7 hours a day in a car and to be honest I stopped exercising totally and the weight piled on like never before.

finding myself heavier than I have ever been in my life, just turned 30 and now in a new job with more reasonable hours and a wedding to my long term partner at the end of the year I have decided that I'm going to make a permanent weightloss change get in shape and start playing rugby again before I get too old !

(I also saw the success of lighter life in my partner who lose 9 and a half stone and has kept it off for over a year).

So I will update with my thoughts and feelings on a week to week basis !

Week 1

Having seen my partner go through a week one on lighterlife total I was somewhat prepared, but watching and doing are two intemperate animals.

Start weight 23st 08 lbs (how depressing)

First day was fine I felt hungry but I got through it, drank lots of water and kept my mind off it I have a busy job so that helped a lot in making me not think about it.

second day, felt like garbage so took a day off work, kept drinking and on packs didnt feel hungry but did just feel like all my energy had been stolen from me, just drank water had my packs and sat down for most of the day.

third day, crap feeling remained but diminished took the day off work again and just drank, packs distracted myself with TV and pain killers.

Fourth day, like a veil had been lifted I suddenly had energy and felt normal, the headache started to subside and I went in to work where I felt full of beans and energy.

Firth day, a Friday still felt good and just getting on with it, almost no hunger now (which is great!)

Sixth day, A saturday, struggled mentally a bit here as we had family round so there was lots of cooking, lovely toast etc all round me put me in a right grumpy mood but I stuck to my packs and ignored it ! (some how!)

Seventh day, I think by now im at the point where Ketosis is fully kicked in, no real desire to eat as im full and lots of energy to do what I need to now !

eighth day, Weigh in day the day drags but I still feel no hunger and am just getting on with work now

Weigh in for my first week

22st 06 lbs

Meaning 16 lbs lost in my first week, made me very happy and apparently the highest my Councillor has ever had, I cant notice anything yet but im hopeful by the end of July if I carry on I might be able to notice it in clothes at least.

We discussed a goal weight and decided to shoot for 16 stone (im 6 foot 2 and a big dude anyway) so that seems like a good goal to aim for, one more week and I can start training too which im looking forward to loads

:D

Struggling today had to miss two packs because of work and then had to go shopping for the family on one pack in 12 hours :( feel shitty and faint

Congratulations to your OH on her weight loss! Nine and half stone is inspirational!

Well done you on losing 16lbs:happy096:

You can always have two packs together...not good to miss your packs as you need your protein and vitamins etc and need to be keeping your water intake up during the day.

Your blood pressure goes down on a vlcd so getting up too fast from sitting and lying down can make you dizzy.

Hope you are feeling okay!

Hi guys,

I got through the day and had a pack quite late on which made me feel better.

I think the biggest thing I forgot to predict when going on to this diet was effect work and life would have on it.

As we are getting married there is a lot of working and then driving for me which means trying to steal a pack here and there is the way I have been doing it thus far.

Including the torture of having to sit in a pub watching everyone eat gorgeous bar meals around me on Saturday! but the way I took that episode is if I can get through that then nothing else will be even close to as hard !

anyway weigh in tonight so very interested to see what I have managed on my second week and really looking forward to be able to start training now :D

so second weigh in and now im

22st 02lbs

4 lbs loss

20 lbs total so far

not a great week, I have a feeling using a mouth spray took me out of ketosis coupled with barely being able to drink water for a few days

A loss is a loss and im happy for that but I will double efforts for next week !

thats a marvellous loss and 20 in two weeks - WOW!! you must be feeling over the moon!

thats a marvellous loss and 20 in two weeks - WOW!! you must be feeling over the moon!

yeah its been pretty awesome to be fair, never imagined 20lbs in 2 weeks, I know as well I had a lot of things against me this week so im going to focus on my water drinking this week and try to hit 7 pounds this week !

I was a bit dis-heartened that my councillor told me that aerobic exercise is totally "out" on a VCLD today, but I guess it means lots of weights and situps during the course of the diet for me !

For some reason very hungry today ( I think its hunger, its become quite hard to tell) not giving in but it is very distracting :(

I was a bit dis-heartened that my councillor told me that aerobic exercise is totally "out" on a VCLD today, but I guess it means lots of weights and situps during the course of the diet for me !

I didn't think aerobic exercise is out of the question - if you were fairly active before, I was told you can continue as you were, but just to take it easy if necessay for the first week or so until your body fully adjusts to the low calories, then you can pick it up again. I have been doing spin classes and running (well, jogging - or the equivalent of other people walking really fast!) for a while before starting this week and my CDC just said to take it easy, drink more water when exercising to replenish and slow down or stop if you feel unwell. So I am continuing with my normal routine but just taking it a bit easier. Have you read the exercise thread on here - it is quite informative too! Everyone seems to have different results with the exercise though - each to their own!!! Good luck for the coming week!

I havent done much exercise for a while is the issue, I was at some points in my life very very active but not so much now (or in recent times) I think I will be fine but my CDC was super against me doing any sort of aerobic exercise.

Thanks going to make sure I do everything I can to make this week a good one ! :D

Are you using the meal bars?

I've picked up a few habits in the past few weeks that have helped with the work/busy lifestyle. So I travel a lot and am out and about a lot for work, and the CD lady had these (incredibly tasty) meal bars as well. They're easy to keep in your bag and are perfect for when you can't get a soup or shake done. You can only have one a day but it always seems to come at the right time.

And yeah I know what you mean about the exercise. I think the councilors just don't want you to take on too much too fast; exercise makes you hungrier sometimes, and the diet works without. I take a walk with my wife a couple of evenings a week and I've found that to be the best exercise for CD. Always promise myself I'll hit the gym seriously once the diet is over.

20lbs is pretty awesome, keep it up! And thanks for sharing your journal, I'll be coming back to it often.

No meal bars yet, my CDC told me not until the 4th week I am very much looking forward to bars though !

Thanks for the comments as well :)

The sun has been great for water intake (have really upped my water levels) but for some reason last night I actually felt quite "hungry" again its very hard to work out if this a psychological thing or a physical thing (after all the mind controls the body), but I had a palpable sense hunger for sure.

Anyway I have started some weights an effort to tone up as I lose weight currently doing

3 x

10 arm curls
10 overhead curls
15 flys
15 lying flys

with an extended break inbetween sets, feel actually pretty good on it using 10/15kg dumbbell's

My next plan is to start situps and alternate days

so M/W/F/S - weights
T/T/S - situps/ab work

going to supplement this all by using the "couch to 5k" running app, as long as I dont pass out doing it anyway !

Weigh in day today and

5 lbs loss

taking me to

21st 11lbs

Motoring along now be happy if I can keep it around 5-7 a week would get me to goal very quickly

So I have a bit a of a problem.

Firstly as I found out CD does nothing but shakes and bars I have been looking around and seen slim and save which looks like a far better version of Cambridge (real meals etc), MY CDC is ok, but I'm not sure she alone is worth £58 a week given slim and save would cost me £31 (if I buy it on a monthly basis).

the second issue is this, I have my stag do and my wedding coming up (sep 14, Oct 6th), and I'm sort of wondering what to do, I will be forgoing christmas/my birthday and everything else but I HAVE to eat and drink on my wedding/stag (really do) so Im wonder how best to ease myself out of ketosis (but still dieting) so I can drink and eat ?

going to supplement this all by using the "couch to 5k" running app, as long as I dont pass out doing it anyway !

The couch to 5k running app is brilliant - I can highly recommend it. I used this when I first started running a couple of years ago and was running 10k races last year. Just before Christmas 2011 I was in training for a half marathon - then I fell, injured by hip and have been told to avoid running until next year!!! No running and coupled with the steroid injection I was advised to have (which did nothing grrrrr...) I gained a stone. Whilst I was running (I used to run 3 times a week usually 10k each time but a minimum of 5k) I could eat what I wanted and gained none of the weight I'd lost previously.

This is what's keeping me positive. I'm now taking advantage of the down time of no running to lose the weight I want then once I do I will start the program again and I know I'll be able to maintain my weight loss. Exercise is really key I feel in maintaining. I'm also hoping that weighing less will make me faster !!! lol.

Great weight loss so far btw.

Yes I really want to start upping the game and ideally get to around the 7 pounds a week mark.

MY CDC is really against starting any "new" exercise, but I have always untill the last few years been a fit and fairly healthy guy so I'm going to take the risk with it I think !

I'm not sure about a marathon mind I did run one once but back then I was incredibly fit and it still nearly ended me ! :D Crappy news about the hip hope it recovers soon for you :)

Back