Did anyone gain weight when increasing exercise?

krupskaya

Gold Member
I've increased my exercise to an hour of tae bo every day. Loving it and really look forward to my daily body magic. I wondered whether anyone gained weight when upping their exercise though?

I don't buy into the idea that I'll be increasing muscle, as if it was that easy body builders wouldn't need to take steroids to increase theirs...

Be interested in people's experiences.

Yeah it's definately not easy to build muscle, although I think so many dieters hold on to the 'muscle weighs more than fat' to try any justify any gains!! In actual fact, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat!!

There was a study in the Observer recently, done over a number of years, which showed that if people were trying to lose weight (presumably without class support of any sort), then they were unlikely to actually lose weight over the study period. Those who altered their diet for weight loss, without exercising were actually much more likely to have lost weight.

The reason the exercisers weren't losing weight, is that it turned out they were more likely to reward, or overcompensate with food, undoing all the good work they'd done exercising.

On SW this obviously shouldn't be so much of a problem, as the syns don't change if you exercise, but I did find it very interesting. I personally have found that after I started exercising I initially STS, but carried on losing in the weeks that followed - probably just retaining water.

My friend trained for a marathon while she was on SW and she lost 4.5 stone.

Yeah, my C always pointed out that you will be building muscle but the type of exercise most of us will do is fat burning, not muscle building so this is just an excuse. Muscle is thicker density than fat but you need alot more of it to make a difference.

However, I think it has been show that if you exersize you hold onto water more than normal as your body does need it, but im sure after a week or so this would then become normal if you keep up your levels of exersize. I only ever last for a few weeks at a time, and cuz im a fainter I never over-exert myself when exersizing so have not noticed any correlation between losses and exercize other than I felt better after doing it! x

muscle is denser than fat, so even though a pound of fat and a pund of muscle weigh the same, the muscle takes up a smaller volume..

I've upped my exercise to 5 sessions this week as a jump start to the new year and my scales are showing a 3lb loss so far this week... I agree with custard, the stuff I am doing involves trying to work in the fat burning heart rate zone and its unlikely the kind of exercise I am doing will result in significant muscle mass, so hopeful of some good losses through doing that little bit more! xxxxx

hiyer, it did happen, when i 1st started exercising, but, adjusted after a week or two;)

I find my losses are about the same when I exercise but I do take my measurements more regularly as find they can change a hell of alot when the lbs don't show on the scales.
One month I did circuit training & boxing once a week and lost 4 inches off my thighs, i was over the moon as my thighs have always been the hardest part to shift lol!
xxx

I upped my exercise this week adding in The Biggest Loser wii game. Lots of squats and lunges and my thighs feel as if they've been pumped up with lead! Thats the water retention and I know my weight won't alter much for the next couple of weeks but the tape measure is out and it doesn't worry me. My spare tyre has deflated this week!

It is very difficult to build muscle, especially for us girls as we have very little testosterone in our bodies. I do 3 hours weight training a week and am maintaining my weight nicely- like you say, the guys I see in the gym who want to gain real muscle lift massive weights, hammer the gym for hours a day and, sadly, I am sure many of them take steroids

Like everyone has said- water retention in aching muscles may cause a gain at first, but you certainly won't bulk-up- you will just be lovely and toned

Good luck and WELL DONE on your fantastic fitness plan

xxx

I upped my exercise this week adding in The Biggest Loser wii game. Lots of squats and lunges and my thighs feel as if they've been pumped up with lead! Thats the water retention and I know my weight won't alter much for the next couple of weeks but the tape measure is out and it doesn't worry me. My spare tyre has deflated this week!

I have got that game too I plan on starting this week. Do you think it's good?

Hey! Just saw this question pop up and thought I'd let you know you're definately not alone! I started vigourous swimming 3 times a week for an hour a go, first week lost 3 and a half lb but every week after that I was only losing about 1 (2 was my average before), I did lose inches though (only on the bottom, as swimming is quite focused on the upper body)

I'm not sure if It was muscle gain or not, my arms certainly felt more toned but I dont think swimming is that brilliant for building muscle!! I did notice my whole body was a nicer, sort of smoother shape but it was getting me down not losing the weight so I'm ashamed to stay I stopped swimming!!

I personally think that excercise with SW really comes in when you are maybe a stone or half a stone away from target?! I dont want to tone my body as it is I want to get a smaller body before I tone it! haha!

whatever works for you though is obviously the best thing to do :) its obviously making you feel good so thats the main thing!

I say keep it up! by what previous posters have said it levels out in a few weeks, maybe I just wasn't patient enough!

Thanks for all your replies lovely lasses. Whatever happens I'm going to stick with the exercise. It makes me feel so much better in myself - all those feel good endorphins coursing round my veins! I try to do it first thing as it gives my day a real boost and I'm just too knackered by the evening (I'm more of a morning person anyway). Tae Bo is great fun and low impact which is important for my knees and ankles (had to stop running because of joint pain). And Billy Blanks (the instructor) is such a diamond geezer - his enthusiasm is infectious!

Yeah it's definately not easy to build muscle, although I think so many dieters hold on to the 'muscle weighs more than fat' to try any justify any gains!!
Controversial but I have to agree;)

To date I am certainly replacing fat with muscle and as yet not had a gain because of it. I sometimes "feel" heavier - usually my muscular but aching legs after walking the latest bunch of miles lol.

No doubt this means I will have a gain this week because of this, but even if I do, or should I say even when I do I know the reason for it lol.

Steve

anyone who starts an exercise regime should start measuring inch loss as well as lbs.

it is possible that your weight is not going down or may even go up slightly, but the inches will definately be coming off.

I've done quite a lot of exercise since the new year, i havn't had a gain but my losses have been much much smaller. This could be due to the exercise, or it could be the fact that i havn't been 100% :eek:

I can see a massive difference in my body shape though.

I am doing a very intense weights program
That I started the start of December, and I lift VERY heavy ? and my losses are consistent, and I must say im carving A very nicely toned body!!

You know what I also have changed my way of thinking too.. I want to see how fit/ how heavy/ how far I can run and become.. And my focus is on that and not so much with the scales and it's such a relief that I have a different focus and not obsessed with the number on the scales now. I work out 6 days a week, 4 days weight training!

Also I feel fantastic, and you can't beat that feel-good feeling and sense of achievement after too!

Back