Did anyone panic buy petrol

peggypig

Silver Member
Just wondered if anyone was tempted to panic buy fuel after the idiot ministers told us to fill up and use cans.

The poor woman who was burned trying to decant fuel in her kitchen.

Generally I thought they must be mad to queue like they did. I thought stuff it if I couldnt get any I would bl99dy walk.

No I didn't. Can't understand the mentality to be honest - they are creating the shortage they are trying to avoid? If I haven't got any petrol then I'll walk, take the bus, cycle, do whatever .... but no way will I sit in a great long queue in a petrol station.

No, I didn't bother panicking! I might get some petrol tomorrow if there are no queues, but only because my tank is getting a bit low. Having said that, I am not going any great distance in my car for about another two weeks, so I probably have enough to last quite a while.

Id rather not! If it gets so bad that petrol runs out and I can't get to work, I'd just have to ring up and be like 'oh soz there's no petrol I can't get to work' and my boss would just get it. I'm not worrying myself about it :)

In the last petrol strike our regular garage would limit the petrol to £10-00 worth but us regulars would get 1st option for any available as they said " we go there every week not just when they have petrol! this time I just used the push bike where ever possible and will get my regular quantity on Monday at the regular garage (small family one)

nope i didnt panic but it made me very angry to see all the cars parked up waiting for the fuel, blocking the roads, roundabouts and really causing caos when there was not any need for it but thanks to the politicians for scare mongering as they usually do. i need fuel as i drive a cab for a living and my tank is always full so we didnt need to panic and if i did run out then i would just of had the day off

Me neither but it was gridlock at Morrisons in Brid on friday, I had difficulty getting into the carpark because the stupid lemmings were blocking the road! I'm lucky to be retired, we live 6 miles from town down a country road, but a tank lasts us a month! and I am half full.I'll fill up this week, and then I can always shop online.

jim prepared for a potential lack of fuel by raising the seat and handlebars on my bike (he doesn't have one and I still can't ride since the hand operation) so he could bike to the station, drag my bike across london on the tube and bike from the station near work to his depot.

but we have a fairly economical diesel car which he filled up last week. should last him til at least monday, possibly tuesday and it's been fine.

No, didn't panic, but it's been mad here. We were running low, but couldn't get near a station. Finally got round to getting some yesterday and we had to queue for 45 mins :rolleyes:

There were no queues at the petrol station around the corner this afternoon - but that was because they had no petrol left! They only had diesel.

judimac said:
Me neither but it was gridlock at Morrisons in Brid on friday, I had difficulty getting into the carpark because the stupid lemmings were blocking the road! I'm lucky to be retired, we live 6 miles from town down a country road, but a tank lasts us a month! and I am half full.I'll fill up this week, and then I can always shop online.

If I remember bird rightly it's not the close to anything else, and doesn't have the greatest public transport system! I imagine that would. Ate it a bit of a nightmare. Could be wrong though, it's a few years since I've been there.

My sister lives in Withernsea (about 30 miles out of hull), and they have 1 petrol station there. It's run out already. she's got a disabled daughter who if she needs to go to hospital. She NEEDS to go, if they can't get petrol they'll need to phone an ambulance for her. all because some thoughtless people have used up all the remaining petrol 'just in case'

I didn't panic buy any, we just done our usual tank fill up on pay day. We were a bit worried that we wouldn't get any tho as the night before we topped up, the Tesco petrol station had been closed by the police as the traffic queuing for petrol was backing up onto the roundabout and causing havoc :eek: and the Asda had completely run out of petrol :rolleyes:

When I was sitting in the car as bf was filling up (that is his job even tho I drive lol) I was nosing around at the other pumps, people putting in £40 - £80 :eek: I rarely see those meters go up past £30 lol. Mind you it was pay day for a lot of folks so maybe not panic buying! Did seem odd to see every pump have £40 or more though.

I work in a garage. Ours is a bit like a McDonald's drive thru , you get back in your car drive up to the window and pay. We are normally extremely busy at the best of times. These last few days have been hell. We have been getting all our orders as per normal. As soon as it comes it goes. We've nearly had fights at the pumps, arguements over queue junping it's been horrendous. Luckily today it was as quiet as anything. (very unlike a normal Sunday) everyone's got their full tanks now hopefully it'll be quiet tomorrow I really deserve some peace after the last week lol

evilpenguin said:
When I was sitting in the car as bf was filling up (that is his job even tho I drive lol) I was nosing around at the other pumps, people putting in £40 - £80 :eek: I rarely see those meters go up past £30 lol. Mind you it was pay day for a lot of folks so maybe not panic buying! Did seem odd to see every pump have £40 or more though.

Could it be anything to do with the price of petrol getting bumped up by some garages? One by us was charging £1.50 per litre eek!!

I refused to panic buy any. The worst thing that would happen to me personally was that I wouldnt be able to get to work. Shame.

Back