Did I make a booboo?

Wendyuk

I'm thinking yes. I made roast chicken last night and chopped up loads of carrots and butternut squash. I added them to the roasting tin with the chicken and cooked them that way. I did soak them with kitchen roll afterwards but should I have cooked them separate to the chicken using frylight?
TIA
Wendy

I would say yes chick, as the fat that comes out of the chicken is quite a lot - hey ho, no harm done, just remember for next time :) x

Thank you :) That's what I thought but like you say I will remember for next time :D

Wendy

I cooked chicken the other day and startedto use the juices for gravy. Oooops...luckily I remembered before eating it! Made another batch and hubby had chickeny one :(

I am writing this to make you be aware and not to make you feel bad :eek:

I cooked a chicken in the slow cooker last week and there was some great juices left over so I thought I would use them as a stock for a soup. I left it overnight and the next morning there was so much fat sitting on the top I could not believe it, even by scraping the main fat off the top there was loads left behind, so threw it away :eek:

I now sit my chicken on a rack and let it cook like that and do my veg seperate.

These are all things I never used to think twice about before sw, but now :eek: at least I now know where I have been going wrong :eek:

You can buy a gadget so that you can roast a chicken 'standing' up, that way the fat etc flows away and the chicken isn't sitting in it, Lakeland will probably sell the gadget, I think you can get spices with it too.

You can buy a gadget so that you can roast a chicken 'standing' up, that way the fat etc flows away and the chicken isn't sitting in it, Lakeland will probably sell the gadget, I think you can get spices with it too.
I got one years ago from QVC and the chicken is amazing-the gimmick at the time was that it was so tender the guy used a carrot to "carve" it.
One thing I would say is try and get a cast iron one and it conducts better and will last. Spaneck or Spanek not sure of spelling.

Last edited:
How synfull is doing your vege this way then? Also... when you make your own stock from the carcus is that syned? I assumed it is but no idea how much...
Although after reading soccermoms postit sounds far less appealing doing vege this way!! lol

- i didnt realise this was such a big deal. I never use the juices in my gravey, but dont think twice about putting my roasties next to the chicken.

- never hindered my weight loss to my knowlege, i wouldnt fret. x

I got one years ago from QVC and the chicken is amazing-the gimmick at the time was that it was so tender the guy used a carrot to "carve" it.
One thing I would say is try and get a cast iron one and it conducts better and will last. Spaneck or Spanek not sure of spelling.
That sounds lovely, I'm not bothered about the chicken sitting in it but if it makes it more tender yum. Might have a look for that thanks.

- i didnt realise this was such a big deal. I never use the juices in my gravey, but dont think twice about putting my roasties next to the chicken.

- never hindered my weight loss to my knowlege, i wouldnt fret. x
Thanks for that Fern because it does taste soooo much better cooked like that, and I suppose the amount the veg can soak up might not be that bad. Oh well if it does start to hinder my weight loss I'll just stop.

Wendy

How synfull is doing your vege this way then? Also... when you make your own stock from the carcus is that syned? I assumed it is but no idea how much...
I e-mailed either SW or WW a few years ago regarding this and got an e-mail back saying it was fine, I've done it since, thing is I can't remember which plan, but if one says it's ok I would think it would be ok for the other?

Wendy

Back