Did you Know that .. Random facts and other useless knowledge.

Cats:

An all tortoiseshell cat (no white) are almost always female (if male, normally there is some white)
Tortoiseshells with white are called Calico cats in America. (I love that).

All true ginger cats (no white) are males.

jezzi999 said:
99.5% of tortoishells are girls -the remaining 0.5% appear to be boys externally, but genetically are usually hermaphrodites (instead of xx or xy they are xxy).

75% of gingers are male - and the males are usually sterile!

We thought we had a ginger female but she had a teeny white patch between her toes!

jezzi999 said:
Also pure white cats with blue eyes are usually deaf.

Cat genetics are really bizarre!

Single litters of kittens born together can have multiple fathers - half of the litter can be 3 or 4 days older than the rest in some cases.

Omg, thats so odd! ...we reckon our baby girl has got manecoon (sp?) in her, shes larger than an average cat and has the beard and ear sprouting hair lol. She also quite clever, my boy trained her to actually sit, like a dog, no joke!! It hilarious. Her brothers and sisters were all short haired and black, maybe she is an odd one out! X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

l0v3child said:
Omg, thats so odd! ...we reckon our baby girl has got manecoon (sp?) in her, shes larger than an average cat and has the beard and ear sprouting hair lol. She also quite clever, my boy trained her to actually sit, like a dog, no joke!! It hilarious. Her brothers and sisters were all short haired and black, maybe she is an odd one out! X

My Dorts cat prefers to wee in the bath! She sits in the edge to go!

We had a ginger girl and our very experienced vet said he'd never had such trouble finding a womb when she was spayed, he said it was tiny and in the wrong place :S
And our vet is convinced our cats now have different fathers even though they are from the same litter :) makes sense one looked about a week younger when we got him and now two years later he's 3 times the size and fluffiness of the other :)

Shirleen said:

My old cat used to wee in the bath used to position herself over the plug hole lol be careful though it ruins the enamel :S

Shirleen said:

My cat does that if it raining and dosnt want to go out! Pees down the plughole! Lol! X

My cat has done this too. It's funny how they know it's more hygienic (and easier to clean up) than just doing it on the floor...

Dorts cat did it first and howled in the bath until Dort came in to bathroom to see she was peeing blood! How clever is that?

DustQueen said:
And our vet is convinced our cats now have different fathers even though they are from the same litter :) makes sense one looked about a week younger when we got him and now two years later he's 3 times the size and fluffiness of the other :)

It's funny you should say that cos my cat (lives with my mum as when I moved out wasn't allowed to have her due to renting) and her brother are littermates, however they couldn't be more different. She is smooth short haired tabby and he is massive fluffy long haired white/tabby/tortie. Only thing that stops me thinking they had different fathers is that they both have no tail! Out of the 4 in the litter only 1 had a tail and mum had one so must have come from dad.

Here they are doing their very best "p*ssed off bookends" impression :)
Pebbles on the left, Ziggy on the right

.facebook_1579532570.jpg

yes she had a urinary tract infection, so was told to give her wet food not dry. Now she has diarrhoea, we had a cat like that years ago and on the advice of the Cats protection league we sprinkled a little bran flour on ever meal and she was cured so Dort is going to try that, poor lil cat!

Arctic-BNG said:
Domestic cats are not native to the UK. Thought to have been introduced by the Romans?

Thinking about it, neither are rabbits? Introduced by the Normans as a delicacy?

Ugh hate rabbits! Bliddy Normans!

Back