Diet coke?

Katy_the_kelt

Hi!

I know Diet Coke and other low-cal drinks are syn-free, but a friend was telling me today that they are just as likely as sugary drinks to keep weight on. I've done some googling and found lots of studies saying that they are just as unhealthy, but not much to indicate if they're weight-related or not.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Take care!

K xx

I don't know, but would love to know the answer if anyone comes up with one? Especially as I'm a bit of a coke addict and I'm trying to move onto diet coke!

I've lost 5 stone drinking loads of diet coke, people gain weight by eating/drinking too many calories than they burn up, it's as simple as that, in fact coke is a diuretic so will help get rid of fluids!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I drink loads of diet coke and have lost over 2 stone. Its still bad for you ie the additives and things for your teeth but the sugar that is found in regular drinks is replaced with sweetner in diet drinks which makes them alot better for weight loss however bad for your dentist bill. Try not to overindulge and to drink enough water a day along with it. x

But really if aspartmene was so bad surely they would of taken it off the shelves by now, probably nothing more that scaremongering!

Well today all you men better stop drinking tea, on sky news this morning it said men are 50% more at risk of getting prostate cancer if they drink 7 or more cups of tea a day!!!!

I've bought cans of coke zero, prefer it to diet coke and think its got less sugar or sweeteners? Not sure... But I got 12 cans for £4 in tesco, and I'm limiting myself to one can a day as a little treat :) if I drink too much fizzy stuff I bloat like mad so one is plenty for me!

I don't really like Coke but I LOVE diet coke. I could drink it all day long but try to limit myself and drink water or sf squash the rest of the time

Part of the theory around the concerns about diet coke is that it TASTES sweet but your body doesn't get any nutrients from it, leading it to 'retain' more of the next cals you put in...

Personally, I think it's twaddle. I drink diet pop and the weight's coming off me fine.

I don't drink loads, simply because i'd rather try to get more pure water in me. Oh, and I can't drink fountain diet coke, I think the sacharin is the issue in that - makes me ill as a dog the rest of the day.

Polished said:
Part of the theory around the concerns about diet coke is that it TASTES sweet but your body doesn't get any nutrients from it, leading it to 'retain' more of the next cals you put in...

Personally, I think it's twaddle. I drink diet pop and the weight's coming off me fine.

I don't drink loads, simply because i'd rather try to get more pure water in me. Oh, and I can't drink fountain diet coke, I think the sacharin is the issue in that - makes me ill as a dog the rest of the day.

I think Nother part of it is because it is so sweet it doesnt enable us to be weaned off super sweet stuff. Same as using sweetener. I am sure I read some where that people who used sweetener/ drank diet pop didn't lose weight as easily or effectively as those who didn't. Or put it back quicker cos they didn't lose their taste for sweet things when they were off plan. I think knowing this and being aware of it potentially being true is enough to guard against it if/when it does happen.

The fact that it stops me craving sweet things is why I drink diet pop, usually Pepsi max. Without it I would end up splurging on synned sweet things. It hasn't stopped my weight loss at all.

clairebrookes said:
The fact that it stops me craving sweet things is why I drink diet pop, usually Pepsi max. Without it I would end up splurging on synned sweet things. It hasn't stopped my weight loss at all.

That's a very good point!

Back