diets don't work!!!!

popsicle

Bet the title got your attention!!!! I've just been reading some stuff on the internet where people have basically been saying that diets don't work. What a load of rubbish!!!! Diets do work- except they shouldn't be seen as diets but as lifestyle changes. We go to weight watchers because we are overweight due to our unhealthy lifestyles- we follow weightwatchers which means following a healthy lifestyle. If we then go back to how we were eating once we get to goal of course we will put on the weight we lost, but that's not because the diet didn't work, its because we're NOT following the healthy lifestyle any more!!!!!!!! Sorry for my rant but I was angry!!!!

Youre so right. Its the same as people who say VLCDs dont work because the faster you lose it the faster you put it back on - rubbish. How you lose the weight is irrelevant its what you do when youve lost it that determines whether it goes back on or not.

the word diet has been misused for years. It comes from the Ancient Greek's language and its etymology means "way of eating". This means that you're on a diet all the time, whether you're slimming down or just fattening up. But unfortunately people keep on thinking that "being on a diet" means that they're slimming down... I love WW because it's a diet in the proper sense of the word, a lifestyle change that you can continue to use for the rest of your days. That's what I call dieting, and it's now nearly 1 year that I'm maintaining and hopefully, I'll keep on maintaining for the rest of my days, unless of course there's going to be some good news in the babies department ;)

I do think that to a certain extent, your body gets used to what it consumes. Your metabolism slows down in prportion to what you eat. Hence your bosy goes into starvation. This is why each time you lose it is easier to put back on and harder to lose!. In this way, yo yo dieting makes you fat!! Diets can amke you fat, unless you really change for life absolutely, and lets face it, hopw many of us actually do that!!

I plan to follow PP for the rest of my life so that when I get to target(which I hope isnt too long now) I can maintain my weight. People think of a diet as a short term thing which a lot of them are, as you cant keep doing them for ever. Thats why WW is so good because it is a way of life and not a short term thing.

Nodding away here at all the posts! A friend at work always comments that she can't believe how much food I can eat, when I'm supposed to be on a diet (when I have a huge 2pp tuna salad in front of me, or a big bowl of 0pp soup!).

I lost my rag a bit the other day, because she says it all the time. And this is the woman who eats 1 chocolate bar during the day - that's it! Then a big evening meal with tons of veg & protein, and a small amount of carbs. It obviously works for her as she has a great figure, but it's certainly not a healthy diet, and sends out the wrong message to her kids too.

I was explaining that it's not a diet, it's about retraining myself to make better choices, and she agreed, but she is still commenting how much food I can eat, despite me explaining that my 2 x WW yogurts and tuna salad probably have less cals, carbs & certainly fat than her pack of Rolos - argh!

Sorry for the hijack, needed a rant!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Bet the title got your attention!!!! I've just been reading some stuff on the internet where people have basically been saying that diets don't work. What a load of rubbish!!!! Diets do work- except they shouldn't be seen as diets but as lifestyle changes. We go to weight watchers because we are overweight due to our unhealthy lifestyles- we follow weightwatchers which means following a healthy lifestyle. If we then go back to how we were eating once we get to goal of course we will put on the weight we lost, but that's not because the diet didn't work, its because we're NOT following the healthy lifestyle any more!!!!!!!! Sorry for my rant but I was angry!!!!

I 100% agree with you diets should be renamed life style changes!

I do think that to a certain extent, your body gets used to what it consumes. Your metabolism slows down in prportion to what you eat. Hence your bosy goes into starvation. This is why each time you lose it is easier to put back on and harder to lose!. In this way, yo yo dieting makes you fat!! Diets can amke you fat, unless you really change for life absolutely, and lets face it, hopw many of us actually do that!!

I totally agree with this and this is why you should never go into diets that put you on too little calories per day. You need to go in diets that give you variety, that give you a SUSTAINABLE way of controlling your menus and that allow you to keep on following it for the rest of your life. It's not about restrictions anymore but about CONTROL. When you know what it takes for you to maintain your weight then it's easy to keeping on doing it. But if you return to do what you've always done before dieting, you will always get what you've always got (e.g. put all the weight back on!)

I really don't understand those who finish dieting and then throw the diet down the bin and start eating rubbish again. What about all the hard work put into losing the lbs? Unless there's a reason for coming back the old ways, like I don't know, stress due to bad things happening to you, or an unresolved psychological problem, in which case comfort eating is normally what people rely on, then it's inadmissible in my humble opinion. Yet, loads of people do that all the time.

I get very annoyed when people say to me that diets don't work (mostly men). It is that sort of attitude that stops people who are overweight from trying to lose some pounds.
Diets in the sense of eating 1000 kcals a day of course don't work in the long run, you lose muscle mass and can't manage on so few calories indefinitely.
But plans like ww and sw encourage you to eat but make wiser choices. I successfully lost 12 pounds on sw since Christmas and have not gone hungry once, in fact I ate more than I used to but the right things.
I am joining ww tomorrow for a change, I can't fault sw for weight loss but I have become bored and need a change to give me a boost and would like to give pp a go.

I get very annoyed when people say to me that diets don't work (mostly men). It is that sort of attitude that stops people who are overweight from trying to lose some pounds.
Diets in the sense of eating 1000 kcals a day of course don't work in the long run, you lose muscle mass and can't manage on so few calories indefinitely.
But plans like ww and sw encourage you to eat but make wiser choices. I successfully lost 12 pounds on sw since Christmas and have not gone hungry once, in fact I ate more than I used to but the right things.
I am joining ww tomorrow for a change, I can't fault sw for weight loss but I have become bored and need a change to give me a boost and would like to give pp a go.
That is the same as me Good luck x

the word diet has been misused for years. It comes from the Ancient Greek's language and its etymology means "way of eating". This means that you're on a diet all the time, whether you're slimming down or just fattening up. But unfortunately people keep on thinking that "being on a diet" means that they're slimming down... I love WW because it's a diet in the proper sense of the word, a lifestyle change that you can continue to use for the rest of your days. That's what I call dieting, and it's now nearly 1 year that I'm maintaining and hopefully, I'll keep on maintaining for the rest of my days, unless of course there's going to be some good news in the babies department ;)

This is what I was going to say lol, its like when people say they have a temperature. Well yes, we all have a temperature all of the time, be it low, normal or high!

I do agree that 'diets' don't work though, the only thing that works is an indefinate change of lifestyle habits. How many people achieve this though?

I totally agree with this and this is why you should never go into diets that put you on too little calories per day. You need to go in diets that give you variety, that give you a SUSTAINABLE way of controlling your menus and that allow you to keep on following it for the rest of your life. It's not about restrictions anymore but about CONTROL. When you know what it takes for you to maintain your weight then it's easy to keeping on doing it. But if you return to do what you've always done before dieting, you will always get what you've always got (e.g. put all the weight back on!)

I really don't understand those who finish dieting and then throw the diet down the bin and start eating rubbish again. What about all the hard work put into losing the lbs? Unless there's a reason for coming back the old ways, like I don't know, stress due to bad things happening to you, or an unresolved psychological problem, in which case comfort eating is normally what people rely on, then it's inadmissible in my humble opinion. Yet, loads of people do that all the time.

I've lost it before and put it all back on. Three times. Twice with pregnancy. The last time it took 3 years to put it all back on. I didn'tt throw in the towel and say diet over. I'd go away for a weekend. Have a holiday, a birthday. Putting on a little, losing a little, but not all. And gradually, but surely, it went back on. And it's so much harder to lose it now, cos I kept the lifestyle, in general, so have so little to change!!!

I've lost it before and put it all back on. Three times. Twice with pregnancy. The last time it took 3 years to put it all back on. I didn'tt throw in the towel and say diet over. I'd go away for a weekend. Have a holiday, a birthday. Putting on a little, losing a little, but not all. And gradually, but surely, it went back on. And it's so much harder to lose it now, cos I kept the lifestyle, in general, so have so little to change!!!

I agree with you completely! I lost just over 9 stone and over the last 18 months 20lbs or so have crept back on. I didn't mind at first because I felt I had lost too much, but now I am panicing that I will gain the lot back!

I still am very strict, never ever have takeaways and very rarely have a drink, I still don't chocolate or crisps and my meals are all mainly veg and salad based.

I really do believe keeping the weight off is nearly impossible! No wonder the statistics are something like 95% of people gain all the weight back and more!

I agree with you completely! I lost just over 9 stone and over the last 18 months 20lbs or so have crept back on. I didn't mind at first because I felt I had lost too much, but now I am panicing that I will gain the lot back!

I still am very strict, never ever have takeaways and very rarely have a drink, I still don't chocolate or crisps and my meals are all mainly veg and salad based.

I really do believe keeping the weight off is nearly impossible! No wonder the statistics are something like 95% of people gain all the weight back and more!

I'm not not talking about that. I have a couple of colleagues who dieted to lose 9 or 10 lbs and when they finished, they said that they didn't want to follow maintenance but just return eating what they did before. as much as I told them not to do it and that it was a waste of their hard work, they didn't listen to me. They now left my office so I don't know how are they doing, but I have a feeling they put all the weight back on...

It is a shame if you put the weight back on without changing much your plans and while still following maintenance. have you got a leader or someone to talk to to try and find a solution? xx

My plan when I get to goal (I'm not even sure what that is yet as am taking it 5% at a time) is to stay on the maintenance plan and continue to go to meetings at least every OTHER week if not weekly. And if I need to have a week off not worrying what I eat I'll go to the meeting the following week and get weighed and then I'll know by the scales whether I need to go back on the plan for weight loss the following week.

Could be a while though as I'm hoping to get to a size 12 which I haven't been for years!

My plan when I get to goal (I'm not even sure what that is yet as am taking it 5% at a time) is to stay on the maintenance plan and continue to go to meetings at least every OTHER week if not weekly. And if I need to have a week off not worrying what I eat I'll go to the meeting the following week and get weighed and then I'll know by the scales whether I need to go back on the plan for weight loss the following week.

Could be a while though as I'm hoping to get to a size 12 which I haven't been for years!

that's what I've done also, and it worked for me. Now it's 6 weeks I don't go to meetings for a reason or another and next week I can't go as well because it's my hen night and I'm in Italy but I'll return straight after to my meetings -- the following week end my fiancé is off in Ireland for his stags so I would be on my own... nice to see someone on a Sunday night when I feel lonely :)

For every overweight person losing the initial weight is just the start of the battle. After that concious effort has to be made to make sure it doesnt happen again. (in 2004 i lost just under 4 stone with WW, maintained for 3 years, fell pregnant gained it all back and then some!) I also think we have to be realistic. We have celebrations throughout the year and a lot of these do involve food. Theres a chance we may gain a pound or 2 due to this, so long as work at it we'll eventually get it right. :)

my hubby keeps asking when am i finished with weight watchers:confused:i have to keep telling him this is it.. this is what i intend to do forever:pkeep telling him it's not a diet it's a lifestyle change:D

Back