Difference between 'Atkins' and 'the new high protien diet' by Charles Clark

pixar

has to be done this year
I am very curious to know what the difference is between Atkins compared to 'the new high protein diet' by Charles Clark. Has anyone tried both and know the difference and what their weight loss are like?

Last edited:
The new high protein is higher carb, about 40-60g (preferably below 40) compared to 20g on Atkins, so they say you can have one piece of bread a day.. thats it really, after you have lost the weight you increase carb amount to 60-80g so you can have fruits etc... so really just higher amount of carbs,, I did it in the past and lost quite alot, found that being able to have a piece of toast in the morning sometimes really helped when I couldnt face more eggs!!
Im now following the 17 day diet, which is again very atkinsy,, except you do it in 17 day phases to supposedly trick your body so you dont plateau,, its in 4 cycles. Cycle one only lean chicken, turkey and some fish are the only meats you can eat, no rice, pasta, potatos, bread etc. But you have to have two pro-biotic serves a day, ie yoghurt, and two lower carb fruits before 2pm, no carbs after 2. Plenty of water.
Cycle 2 - You alternate with cycle one days. But now you can add other meats, beef, pork etc. And you get two serves of selected carbs ie 1 medium potato, 100g rice etc, but still before 2pm..
Cycle 3 - You can eat how you do in cycle two but everyday. You can add alcohol, but you now need to watch your meat sizes as you are allowed carbs everyday.
Cycle 4 - Choose on of the above plans to eat from Breakfast Monday to Lunch, then over the weekend you can eat your favourite food in moderation, not eating more than three favourite meals. Then get back on plan on Monday..
That is a brief description there are some other tweaks, ie you should exercise 17 minutes a day.. but ive been on 5 days now and doing really well. I like the idea of having small periods of time to focus on ie the 17 days at a time, and not having to exclude carbs forever,, so going to see how it goes,, really enjoying it at the moment... I use the atkins forums as they are very similar at the moment..:D

Hi Pixar, not sure if you're referring to Dukan but if so, I may be able to help. They are both "low-carb", but as Rissolle says, Atkins is lower in carbs during their induction (vs. Attack on Dukan).

The difference though is that Dukan is VERY low-fat (you can't even use oil to cook), there is no cheese allowed except a small portion of Extra-light cream cheese in 2nd phase, there is up to 1kg of dairy allowed (again, but be non-fat... some exceptions up to 2%), and all the meat must be very lean (no higher than 8% fat). Veggies are allowed on alternating days (I'm on one with/one without) 2nd phase (Cruise - where you lose the bulk of the weight).

Once you hit the 3rd stage (Consolidation), you can gradually introduce some very light carbs as well as your first fruits. You stay on Consolidation 10xdays for every kilo you lost during Cruise. Once you finish that that, you move to final stage, which is Stabilisation and then its just eat whatever you want again, but have one Pure Protein day each week - every week forever... but the weight WILL stay off (or so they say... fingers crossed! :))

soshbfly and rissole76 thanks ever so much for your replies, it has been great help and has elaborated my knowledge in both diets> soshbfly I was actually referring to ' the new high protein diet' by charles clark

soshbfly and rissole76 thanks ever so much for your replies, it has been great help and has elaborated my knowledge in both diets> soshbfly I was actually referring to ' the new high protein diet' by charles clark

OH!! Ha, ha... I thought you were just being purposefully vague... hadn't heard of that one. Too funny - well, now you know all about Dukan... just in case ;)!

Ive heard of Dukan, but not sure if i can stick to it as it seems very low calorie compared to atkins, i do prefer Atkins way in which you can use butter and have eggs and cheese:) I am on a exante at the moment which is a very low calorie meal replacement diet and will be coming off that in 2 weeks time and I want to get my body to get ready for the next diet, but im just so confuse because there are so many low carb diets. I want the one that gives me the fastest weight loss as I will be going away in 2 months time.

Atkins is high fat, medium protein and low carbohydrate. As such it turns around all the 'traditional' dieting advice we have been given over the years. And it works. I may stray at times but I always, always come back home to Atkins. And I am vegetarian!

girlygirl1 would you say from most of these low carb diets out there that atkins give you the quickst fat loss? Im in a tight rut with timing and need a fast weight loss and willing to try it all:)

Not heard of it but I was and still am a strict Atkins '72 man :)

72 man as in the first published version i take it:))

That's the one :)

Having read and done both the original and 'new' versions of the Atkins diet, they're actually both at a basic level exactly the same. The new one allows a couple of things the old doesn't, like caffeine, based on studies showing most people are okay with it (and that few ever gave it up on the old diet). The only things I'm wary of on the new diet is the acceptance of certain low carb Atkins brand products - that's just to make money, and Atkins recommendations in his original book show that he would be against the products now sold by his brand.

I have the new high protein diet book, the difference is that clark allows you one slice of bread a day and the carbs are 40g-60g a day from the beginning.
He also lets you use things like flour, red wine etc in small amounts for meals.
The old book lets you have unlimited eggs, cheese and cream, but the updated version restricts these to 5 eggs a week and 50g of cheese, dont know why this has been put in place as from the reviews i have seen people were losing weight without restricting these.
You are also allowed nuts and alcohol from the beginning aswell in small amounts, and he encourages you to have a piece of fruit each day to.
There doesnt seem to be anything for desserts though, but i have seen some people said they still lost weight by having a sugar free jelly but only occasionally, maybe once a week.
He also gives a list of other things in place of the slice of bread if its not your thing....like crisps, biscuits, veg, fruit, etc....but tells you with the biscuits etc that they should be severly restricted.
The vegetable range is also wider than atkins and he allows for things like peas and carrots etc.
I am giving it a bash this week to see how it goes, if it doesnt work then i'll be straight back to atkins, thought i would give it a try though as i like the idea of having a bit more variety, and i will maybe cut the carbs down to 30g a day to see what happens :0)

I think people might be getting confused here thinking the new high protein diet = the new Atkins diet when it's actually a different thing. Good luck on it!

kittiecat u seem to know a fair amount about the low carb diets:) thanks for the info. I'm just not sure what i should try 'the new high protein diet' by charles clark or the atkins diet like the 2002 version.

kittiecat u seem to know a fair amount about the low carb diets:) thanks for the info. I'm just not sure what i should try 'the new high protein diet' by charles clark or the atkins diet like the 2002 version.

hi pixar,i did atkins last year and i lost 2 stones in 8-9 weeks,the only thing is like all diets and plans ive done i never kept going,mind u it was the slowest weight gain i ever had after a diet! im back on atkins first version not the new one from tomorrow to shift 6 stones! and for once im not doing it for an occasion so its hopefully the last time ill ever say this is for life :) x

trivanam good luck with your Atkins journey. I know that horrible feeling when the weight creeps back up and then your left with lots of weight to loose, i to had nearly 5 stones to loose in total. Its a long and tiring journey, but good luck, may I ask why you prefer the old Atkins rather than the new edition? are you doing his 1972 version or the 2002 version?

Back