Difference between men and women?

martbarr

... besides that I mean :)

Why are men supposed to lose weight faster than women?
Not that I have - I'm a man and into my 9th week, and only lost 2 stone - and I see a lot of ladies losing a bit more than that

Just wondered? Not much I can do about gender anyway (no suggestions on this one please !!!)

It's difficult for you to compare yourself with another woman in regards to weight loss, because you can only really do it with someone the same height and weight as you. IE, a 5'2'' woman, even if she weighed the same as you would be losing more in the first few weeks, as she is holding more fat.
As for the differences, I'm not sure but I think it is to do with the menstrual cycle, and the fact that women retain water each month which weighs a couple of pounds and effects the scales. So whilst in measurements they might lose the same as men, on the scales it appears as less. Also perhaps women pick at food more than men due to cravings during TOTM etc. Women also hold on to fat more easily than men, like on hips etc, not sure why, probably something to do with having babies.

No idea basically... haha, just a few guesses for you :)

To me it looks like its because you dont have that much to loose, thats maybe why some women are loosing more than you they may have lots to loose seems to come off more then.

I think, and i may be wrong, men generally tend to be physically bigger with more muscle which leads to higher metabolic rates.

It also made me smile your start weight is about the same as my target weight, it just shows you we are all different.

I think, and i may be wrong, men generally tend to be physically bigger with more muscle which leads to higher metabolic rates.

Yes, that's right. Also the metabolic rate doesn't slow so quick, so usually continues at the higher rate for longer.

So, yes martbarr, maybe a little slower than most men, but we really are all different and you aren't very overweight in the first place, so that will mean a slower loss than others.

Still, 2 stone in 9 weeks is fantastic, so well done!

Back