difference between potatoes

spottitchsam

Silver Member
can someone tell me what the difference between the options on step 3 is.you can either have 100g baked potato with skin,or 200g new potatoes,why such a diff in weight. also the recipe on page 57 there is no weight on the salmon.
thanks hope you are having a good day.xxx

It's probably best to ignore me as I don't actually know the answer for sure, but at a guess could it be that one is baked and the other boiled in water (and will therefore be heavier?)

Think it's to do with fact that new potatoes have a lower glycaemic index than older/baked spuds. I stand corrected if I'm wrong :)

Now you mention it JaxieD I believe WW pro points system has the two types of potatoes at different points for that very reason too. Something about the way in which the potato is cooked altering it's effect on blood sugar. (Again, I could be wrong, it seems to be a habit of mine lol)

Well I never! You learn something new every day! That makes sense...as the starches develop over time. Cor - vegetable science, eh?

JaxieD you're absolutely right, new potatoes have a lower Glycaemic index and Glycaemic load than normal potatoes.

Back