Differences between CS/CAmbrigde/Atkins?

Tracy P

Okay I'm confused, as I understand in celebrity slim you have a couple of low carb milkshakes and the a low carb meal. Isn't this the same as us if we have a whey protein shake a couple of times a day? What really is in these shakes?

I know a couple of peeps on this board have tried these other diets so can compare.

I only know Atkins Tracy, so I can't help there, sorry.

Wow! Your piccie Jim. What a difference. Bet you feel so much better!

Right, back to the original question :D

CS is more like a low carb slimfast. I suppose it's a bit of a mix of Atkins and CD higher plans

CS, if done without tweaking is about 110g of carbs to prevent ketosis. Well, that's what you are supposed to aim for I'm told. It's still lowish carb though and so will help with hunger. The calories are more like a low calorie diet, but it depends what you chose to eat. Many people 'tweak' CS to make it ketogenic, but the diet isn't designed to be so. Personal choice and all that. Calorie levels are about 1200-1500 if done according to the guidelines. I hear the shakes taste good :)

Atkins
is low carb, so you are in ketosis with that. It works on the idea that when in ketosis, your hunger is reduced, so you hopefully automatically reduce calories. Ketosis suits many people as it makes them feel good, and is also protects lean mass usually more than non-ketogenic diets. There is much more freedom on this diet compared to the other two.

If you do the diet correctly, and make sensible low carb choices, it's a healthy diet. Weight losses can be good (especially in men), but many Atkins people find that as they get closer to goal, an awareness to calories becomes more important.

Cambridge. Again, you are in ketosis, and if you do SS, you reduce calories to a very low level. Since the calorie factor is the reason why we lose weight, you can't help but lose...and lose quickly. Being ketogenic makes it easier to manage so few calories as hunger is supressed. Cambridge has everything you need nutrition-wise in the shakes. There are also food options on the diet. It's not just shakes as some people believe. Obviously, more food, more calories, less weight loss...but the options are there.

Hope that helps

And its true about hunger being suppressed on Atkins. I can hardly believe it! I always ate very healthy, B = toast L = fruit and maybe a slim a soup and D = whatever the family were having, never crap though. I was permanently hungry, I didn't snack often - one packet of crisps at the pub if I came home from work starved (not surprised) but the hunger was always there, and I was always miserable. The day I started Atkins I noticed no hunger pangs at all, and I've not felt them since. I have felt a bit empty once or twice when I have gone a very long time without food, but honestly, I just can't believe it! Meat eggs and fish are VERY filling!

Thanks KD, I feel great.

TT, I agree, I'm rarely hungry these days, I do eat of course but I'm not starving come mealtimes.

I guess thats why i love Atkins! However i only seem to lose about 2 pounds a week (yes i know thats healthy) but the CS/cambridge people seem to lose 3/4 pounds weekly. I just want to lose this weight asap :(

Tracy, from my point of view, slow weight loss is maintainable weight loss. :)

I guess thats why i love Atkins! However i only seem to lose about 2 pounds a week (yes i know thats healthy) but the CS/cambridge people seem to lose 3/4 pounds weekly. I just want to lose this weight asap :(

It's a case of weighing up the pros and cons. If you love Atkins, then you are more likely to stick with it and will probably lose weight quicker in the long run (cos you'll do it!)

If losing the weight quickly is more important to you, and you can do it, then Cambridge will do that.

Tracy, from my point of view, slow weight loss is maintainable weight loss. :)

Ooohh, I'll disagree with you that slow weight loss is maintainable weight loss, but will agree that it is your point of view :D

Is that a slapped wrist then KD ;)

Jeez, I've had enough of that with woofy. LMAO

LOL @ you two!

Yes Jim I know know what you're trying to say. I've learnt about good carbs vs bad carbs and low GI etc by doing Atkins. So when and if I do get to my goal weight i can maintain that by eating properly. Whereas if I was taking ready made meals I haven't learnt anything. (No offence KD)

I guess I'm not that desperate to lose weight for any thing other than vainity during the summer. If it takes longer to acheive it then so be it :)

Thanks for your comments :)

Your welcome love.

Whereas if I was taking ready made meals I haven't learnt anything. (No offence KD)

Absolutely no offence taken, but you don't think I'm going to lay down quietly over this one do you :D

Saying the above is the same as saying Atkins is high fat, no fruit and veg (as some people believe). Now we all know that isn't true, but people don't do the diet correctly.

Same for Cambridge. I guess you just read chapter 1 of the book? and only did the first phase? Not recommended!

What about the Cod with linguine and a side salad? Or marinated chicken skewer with noodles? Or maybe the tuna lasagne with broccoli. All low GI.

I learnt loads doing cambridge ;)

That would be wholewheat pasta I presume?

Does CD look at GL aswell as GI??

Absolutely no offence taken, but you don't think I'm going to lay down quietly over this one do you :D
LOL! I'm glad you are replying, I truely am interested :)
Same for Cambridge. I guess you just read chapter 1 of the book? and only did the first phase? Not recommended!
NO, no not me, but I have friends who have and who tried to tell me about it.:eek: Sadly they are the type to want super fast results and when they don't get them they give up and move on to the next diet. So I could never get a true comparison from them. I'm genuinely interested, because I thought that i could possibly try to mix the two together abit. To see if that would work for me.

I did atkins very sucessfully before I feel pregnant with my number 3. Sadly my doctor and midwife didn't like me doing it and convinced me that it was too extreme. I was nursing too I found it very difficult to continue and soon I was back to my old ways.
So while I know that atkins has worked for me before, I thought I might like to try something similar. :)

That would be wholewheat pasta I presume?

Does CD look at GL aswell as GI??

Yes, wholewheat pasta. I assume it looks at GL as most people do :D

Personally, I didn't do those plans as they weren't around when I did cambridge. There were different plans back in those days :D

I also don't particularly follow GI or GL myself now I'm in maintenance, but know about them and sometimes use them to make my food choices. All depends :)

NO, no not me, but I have friends who have and who tried to tell me about it.:eek: Sadly they are the type to want super fast results and when they don't get them they give up and move on to the next diet.

This is the trouble, and if I had a pound everytime people said that they don't learn anything on Cambridge, or that you don't learn good eating habits because it's just shakes, then I'd be living the rest of my days in the Burj Al Arab :D

Sadly my doctor and midwife didn't like me doing it and convinced me that it was too extreme. I was nursing too I found it very difficult to continue and soon I was back to my old ways.

I think most doctors are more clued up these days...thankfully!

Wow! Your piccie Jim. What a difference. Bet you feel so much better!

Right, back to the original question :D

CS is more like a low carb slimfast. I suppose it's a bit of a mix of Atkins and CD higher plans

CS, if done without tweaking is about 110g of carbs to prevent ketosis. Well, that's what you are supposed to aim for I'm told. It's still lowish carb though and so will help with hunger. The calories are more like a low calorie diet, but it depends what you chose to eat. Many people 'tweak' CS to make it ketogenic, but the diet isn't designed to be so. Personal choice and all that. Calorie levels are about 1200-1500 if done according to the guidelines. I hear the shakes taste good :)

Atkins is low carb, so you are in ketosis with that. It works on the idea that when in ketosis, your hunger is reduced, so you hopefully automatically reduce calories. Ketosis suits many people as it makes them feel good, and is also protects lean mass usually more than non-ketogenic diets. There is much more freedom on this diet compared to the other two.

If you do the diet correctly, and make sensible low carb choices, it's a healthy diet. Weight losses can be good (especially in men), but many Atkins people find that as they get closer to goal, an awareness to calories becomes more important.

Cambridge. Again, you are in ketosis, and if you do SS, you reduce calories to a very low level. Since the calorie factor is the reason why we lose weight, you can't help but lose...and lose quickly. Being ketogenic makes it easier to manage so few calories as hunger is supressed. Cambridge has everything you need nutrition-wise in the shakes. There are also food options on the diet. It's not just shakes as some people believe. Obviously, more food, more calories, less weight loss...but the options are there.

Hope that helps

Oooh thats great info! but do you know anything about the w8 to compare with the others?

that would be fab :D as that is what i have been doing,(but i have been cheating a bit by adding in more protein!!)

W8/ Lighter Life/ Cambridge are all very similar. xx

Back