Dilemma - Need guidance

Charmangel

I'm going away next weekend to London for a night, will be there for two days to see a show etc.

Do I try to stick completely to diet as much as possible or what will be likely to happen if I have two days off as such. I'm going to have to plan a lot if I want to completely stick to it and deff take oatbran with me. Also will be going out both nights for food, can be flexible with restaurant choice for the first night but will be going to a Chinese buffet the second night as it's my nephews choice for his birthday.

Any suggestions of what to do or what have people done in these circumstances... also do I just pick up from where I left off if I do end up eating things that are not on the list?

Thank you x

You've just started out on the diet I believe from your statistics so, while possibly difficult, your best bet would be to stick to your guns. Restarting the diet is never easy, and the results never quite as good.

You're thinking about this weekend well in advance which is excellent. Plan out your meals. If you know you're going, say, to a Chinese restaurant, check out the menu beforehand to see what you can and can't eat. Have someone else fill your plate at the buffet, if you don't trust yourself.

That's the best way, particularly at your stage of proceedings.

Its often easier to 'go atkins' for a weekend away, avoid the carbs and turn a blind eye to the fat content. If you can stay off the alcohol its easier to make good choices.

Most the burger places (byron, gbk etc) will do a burger without bun, there are plenty of places that will do steak/chicken/fish with salad and theres always nandos.

In the buffet it will be really hard if its one of those AYCE for £8 type places as they dont have a separate menu.

They do however often have a salad bar and so if you could either eat before hand (something youve taken with you or some cooked meat from tesco express - there are a few in the westend, its exactly the time to break out the prepackaged stuff) and just have salad when you get there. Or have salad and the least sauced looking meat/fish you can find.

What are you going to see?

Thanks that's great advice, I know deep down that I should try to continue on with it. Some chinese buffets do fresh prawns and raw fish so hopefully they might have that.

I am going to see Wicked! hehe can't wait.

It's going to be difficult... when my nephew and boyfriend (who is also doing the diet but lost 9lbs in the first week so will prob be finished the cruise phase before we go) are munching out on sweets in the theatre lol... which leads to my next question... Dunkan friendly snacks appropriate for theatre or cinema lol

i'm going out tomorrow night, so will be filling up on cooked meats from the supermarket, and then will be drinking, but no snacking or eating

i like the 'go atkins' advise - can will remember it

crabsticks, boiled egg for cinema! cherry tomatoes perhaps? make yourself some celeriac crisps?!

eat dinner first?!

Oooo Cherry tomatoes it is thank you

I always forget about the veg on PV days that you can actually eat as much as you like

Peel the skin off your celeriac... (throw it away!) then keep peeling right down. Pop your "crisps" on a baking tray (use spray oil and/or greaseproof), and pop in oven. (Can't remember what temperature but keep an eye on them as they're pretty quick!).

Hard work, you don't get many, but they give you the "crisp" feeling.

You can also make crisps with slices of packaged turkey or chicken on a PP day. (baking tray + greaseproof, and chopped up pieces of "meat").

You're right re PV and unlimited veg in theory, but best to keep your protein in the majority still on a PV day (2/3 to 1/3 is recommended).

Peel the skin off your celeriac... (throw it away!) then keep peeling right down. Pop your "crisps" on a baking tray (use spray oil and/or greaseproof), and pop in oven. (Can't remember what temperature but keep an eye on them as they're pretty quick!).

Hard work, you don't get many, but they give you the "crisp" feeling.

you can also make celeriac chips in a similar kind of way - just do them thicker - this was a recommendation on the Cambridge diet...

other decent cinema snacks are beef jerky (if you can find it) and goji berries. I would make sure I only take a smallish amount with me of each, so I can't munch my way through the whole packet :)

As for the weekend away - I have just done the same thing fairly successfully. Spent the weekend with my super-chef friend who is always keen to cook for us when we stay - just told him I could eat anything other than carbs. Didn't eat strictly Dukan by any means, fattier than usual but still avoided all the big no-nos. Allowed myself one glass of champagne each evening too - which actually helped and made everyone else stop asking me to have a drink!

Before you go to your chinese buffet, just partly fill up on some cooked chicken breast or similar - then when you can only eat a small amount of the food on offer you will be fine I'm sure

Good luck!

Back