Dining out tomorrow - help with menu!

Passiflora

Dasvidaniya FAT & FLAB!!
Firstly, let me apologise for the number of posts I've been making since I found this forum, I feel like a kid at Christmas with it - you guys are giving out so much good information, advice, hints and tips - your great!!

Secondly, I'm going out with friends tomorrow night. I've had a quick look at the menu and my first thoughts are "uh-oh". If you don't mind, would you have a look at it suggest what I could have? I'm fairly easy on food but no lamb, duck, mushrooms or foie gras!!

Thanks!

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thewaltonfoxbamberbridge/food/

Its the Main Food Menu that I'm looking at.

hi passiflora!! dont worry about asking questions- it makes the website way more fun. I had a quick look at the menu i would probably have the soup and then the seabass but id ask for lemon juice instead of the butter. but even still you can be sure! i went to dinner on tuesday last minute and i suspect even the veg were cooked in butter! i still havent recovered from the side effects! your best bet would be to call ahead and explain your dietry requirments

I would suggest not taking your tablets as they seem to favour using butter a lot so you might find it on things you don't expect too.

I tend to have a steak, i ask for it to be grilled or dry fried. I then have potatoes, no butter or jacket spud. I would explain that you can't eat any fats, it makes you ill (dont have to go into details) and even ask if they could rinse any veg in hot water before serving if they make a big batch and add butter to it. I'd steer clear of any dressings. I once went out and had a chicken salad that came with a honey and mustard dressing. I asked what was in the dressing and he said honey and mustard, so i asked if that was it, and he said yes, so i told him i could have it then as it didnt have oil and his reply was it has olive oil in it!!

Just ask when cooking not to add oil/butter/sauces ask for it to be grilled or oven cooked and dont add dressings ect to salads and go for a baked potato/or boiled and no butter & vegetables....I always ask how things are cooked, you have the right :)

Just ask when cooking not to add oil/butter/sauces ask for it to be grilled or oven cooked and dont add dressings ect to salads and go for a baked potato/or boiled and no butter & vegetables....I always ask how things are cooked, you have the right :)

exactly!! your the one paying for the meal, you have it cooked how you like!!

Thank you!!

I had a lovely night with my friends and stuck with the tablets and decided on the chicken, bacon and avocado salad, with the dressing on the side (it came in one of those extremely small white ramekins, so I was able to dip) and no avacado (don't like it!), but is it me being me, but when I make a "salad" for our tea, it consists of tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, peppers, sweetcorn, carrots etc, but I paid £8.95 for two pieces of lettuce, 3/4 of a tomato, and a helping of baby spinach. I couldn't say that there was a full chicken breast or even one whole slice of bacon on the salad.

I should have gone in their kitchen and showed them how to make a "proper" salad!!

Thanks again for your advice!!

Back