Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

So sorry for you Dawn. I'm so glad you goto to tell him you loved him. He's a peace now and that's the blessing at this awful time.

Take it steady chicken.

Sending you much love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:wave_cry:

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and your family Dawn.

Gail xx

Sent from my iPhone

Just wanted to send a squeezy hug :hug99:

Hey bestie,
Just checking in to see how you are? (stoopid question i know but i'm not clever enough to ask it another way) thinking of you x x x

Just popping by to say hello, in case you're stalking but not ready to post yet.

Nice to see you this evening for a bit of a longer chat - I wasn't TOOOOOOO nice, was I?

Oh, and I am NOT stalking you! Really I'm not!

JimofTroy said:
Just popping by to say hello, in case you're stalking but not ready to post yet.

Nice to see you this evening for a bit of a longer chat - I wasn't TOOOOOOO nice, was I?

Oh, and I am NOT stalking you! Really I'm not!

Oh! And just WHY aren't you stalking me eh? Surely I'm worth a bit of a decent stalk...!

Hav to say u were bordering on being unacceptably nice tonight, & I blame u 100% for the slight downpour in the middle of wi, but u are forgiven Sarah. I shall assume it was a small lapse in concentration on your behalf, and that you will try harder to NOT be nice in future!
How great to see u tonight tho xx I was just sitting there thinking what a mistake it was to have even THOUGHT about going to class, when I looked up and saw u there! I know u weren't really planning on staying as you had loads to do tonight, but you did and I really appreciate it xx. It was good to talk xx
Well you hav a great weekend hunni. Try to forget all the rubbish that's been going on and enjoy yourself xx
Be good!
Love Dawn xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

.Nicki. said:
Hey bestie,
Just checking in to see how you are? (stoopid question i know but i'm not clever enough to ask it another way) thinking of you x x x

Hi bestie,
I'm doing really well hunni xx Feeling rotten that I haven't been here for you xx I hope you are coping ok Nicki...I've been thinking about you, but really not knowing what to say xx
Keep thinking I'm gonna start up on here again but can't quite get in the right frame of mind...the time never seems right somehow. But I miss everyone so much. I do hav a quick 5 min nose here and there, keeping up to date with you all. Just can't bring myself to get back to normal. Maybe tomorrow xx

Lots and lots of love bestie, and to all my super mates on here xx

Oh! And just WHY aren't you stalking me eh? Surely I'm worth a bit of a decent stalk...!

Hav to say u were bordering on being unacceptably nice tonight, & I blame u 100% for the slight downpour in the middle of wi, but u are forgiven Sarah. I shall assume it was a small lapse in concentration on your behalf, and that you will try harder to NOT be nice in future!
How great to see u tonight tho xx I was just sitting there thinking what a mistake it was to have even THOUGHT about going to class, when I looked up and saw u there! I know u weren't really planning on staying as you had loads to do tonight, but you did and I really appreciate it xx. It was good to talk xx
Well you hav a great weekend hunni. Try to forget all the rubbish that's been going on and enjoy yourself xx
Be good!
Love Dawn xx

Hmmm, well, let me see.
If you manage not to go all soggy every time I have the teeniest break in my nastiness, maybe I could get you an upgrade to stalkable!

Dawn,

Thank you for popping by to let us know that you're ok. I have been thinking of you. I suspect that you have lots of family around you which would be good. You are a truly amazing woman for going to WI, but well done to you.

I'm trying not to be too nice to you (but clearly failing miserably !) but it is lovely to hear from you.

Big hugs.

Gail xxx

Hi Dawn it's lovely to hear from you! Well done on going to your weigh in! We're all thinking of you over here and there's no rush to get back to normal! Lots of love xxxx

Hi Dawn, Gud to hear from you :hug99:

Hi bestie,
I'm doing really well hunni xx Feeling rotten that I haven't been here for you xx I hope you are coping ok Nicki...I've been thinking about you, but really not knowing what to say xx
Keep thinking I'm gonna start up on here again but can't quite get in the right frame of mind...the time never seems right somehow. But I miss everyone so much. I do hav a quick 5 min nose here and there, keeping up to date with you all. Just can't bring myself to get back to normal. Maybe tomorrow xx

Lots and lots of love bestie, and to all my super mates on here xx

:hug99: Don't feel rotten, i know your here if i need you and i'm ok, well you know getting there. Been over in the slimfast forum, put on a bit of weight the last week or so (been drowning my sorrows in chocolate fudge cake and other assorted naughtiness) so going to lose it and then some while i've got the motivation and then i will be back over here. I always intended to keep up with my dairy but i don't really no what to say in it at the moment, xxxxxxx

Evening all xx

Well, now I'm here I'm not sure what to write! NOT todays food, that's for sure!

Think I need to begin by telling you about Dad, then I hope I'll be able to move on a little...at least on here.

I had a phone call from Leslie (one of the hospice nurses) on Saturday morning, to say that she thought Dads breathing had changed & thought we might like to come in. So I rang my brother David, & went to pick Shirley up. When we arrived, Dads breathing had altered slightly from laboured to more shallow, but nothing too drastic, & we settled down to be with him. The staff were wonderful, popping in to check we were ok, and offering drinks etc. The doctor came to see us, saying what a lovely man Dad was and how sorry he was to see how much he had deteriorated.
A little later Vicki & her fiancé arrived, and Shirley & I left them alone to chat to Dad for a while while we got a sandwich. Shortly after, my brother David & his wife Kerri came in, & Vicki & Matt set off for the shops as they were catering again for Matt's cricket team the following day.
So we sat in the lovely little room, chatting amongst ourselves and to Dad, and taking it in turns to hold his hand. Soon it was nearly 5 o'clock, and Shirley sent David and I home to watch our local rugby team in the Heineken Cup Final (which we lost) & I shot straight back at 7 when it finished.
It was obvious that Dad had worsened in those to hours. The nurses had noticed his ear was tucked under him so had gently moved his head slightly and placed a rolled up face flannel with a towel and pillowcase over the top to try and make him more comfortable. But Dad had shown signs of distress at being moved, and his breathing had deteriorated, although the nurses said they were confident it would settle back down again.
But it didn't settle down, and the pauses between Dads breaths got longer, and around 8pm I text David to tell him to hurry. Shirley & I were holding Dads hands, crying & willing him to keep trying, when David walked through the door. A minute later, my lovely, brave Dad gave up his fight and slipped away peacefully with his wife and children holding him.
The next couple of hours are a bit of a blur tbh. We had to let Gwyn and the children know, & Vicki, Matt & Andrew came up. We simply sat with Dad, recalling tales, laughing & crying together, still taking it in turns to hold Dads hand.
I suppose we came away around 10.30pm, very, very sad, upset, drained & empty...but relieved that Dad's suffering was over.
The following morning, I picked Shirley up to go and fetch Dads things from the hospice, and to collect the death certificate. Once again they were superb, saying what a gentleman Dad was, & how it had been an honour to look after him.
We called into Gwyn's church afterwards as I knew the service had just finished and they would be having coffee. Everyone was really lovely, lots of hugs and prayers, which led to lots of tears.
We are doing fairly well with the arrangements, and Dads funeral will be on June 7th 2.45pm, followed by afternoon tea at our village pub (also where my sw classes are held). We met the minister yesterday who seemed really sweet, and have finally decided on music and a hymn. It's so hard, and we are so desperate to do Dad justice. The notification went in the local paper tonight, but I've been putting off writing our own personal obituary. I know it has to be done, but I'm dreading doing it.
Popped in to work today to say thanks for the gorgeous flowers and card they sent, and was greeted with more hugs. I made a NON sw 3 tier strawberry & fresh cream sponge cake which went down rather well...and yes I DID have some.
Food consumed after I got home included potatoes with loads of garlic butter and cheese, more home made cake, and wine...so I can't see the point of counting syns etc...will give it a go tomorrow, maybe!
Shirley's son and daughter in law have travelled from Wales today to spend a couple of days here, so they are all popping round tomorrow afternoon which will be nice. And it will force me into doing some housework which is desperately needed atm.
Right, I'm off for a looky looky at some diaries. Feeling better now that's brought things up to date.
Thanks for all your lovely messages...they've helped me so much xx

Hi Dawn

Nice to "see" you about again my lovely...:flowers:
So glad that you got to be there with dad at the end -
Sounds like he was a very popular man, who will be sorely missed by all who knew him -but what a fitting tribute that he obviously touched so many people and left such an impression.

You take care of yourself (ooh and enjoy your time with your visistors -and the obligatory "goodies")......

Hi Dawn, thankyou for coming to share your touching story. I'm really sorry that you lost your dad but I'm glad you got to spend those moments with him with all your family. Youre doing so well, well done on making everyone cake at such a difficult time, what an amazing lady you are. Thinking of you xxxx

Hi Dawn,

Thanks so much for sharing that with us. I'm so pleased that you were with him. So sorry that his life was cut short, but so glad that he seemed to have had a peaceful end. I know I keep saying this but I mean it - you really are an amazing lady. You have dealt with this so amazingly - I know that it really won't always feel like that which is totally normal (and sometimes probably feels like you aren't dealing with this at all but you are as well as anyone could). I'm glad you made cake - sometimes it just feels right to do that and to make nice things to give people a treat - you shouldn't have done anything other than have a piece so well done. SW (which is hardly a priority at the moment but I know it is still important to you) must fit around life which it has.

I am thinking of you and will continue to think of you in the next weeks and months to come. I won't be around at the time of the funeral so may not be able to send messages but I WILL be thinking of you.

Big hugs.

Gail x

Hi Hun, nice to see you back. Hope it was therapeutic for you to write it all down, and I hope you realise that we all appreciate what you've been through and how well you seem to be coping xxx

Just checking in with a spare hug I found laying around, so thought I'd pass it on :hug99:

Back