Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

pjallen1982 said:
Hope you have a lovely weekend Dawn. Anything nice planned? x

Hi Penny x

Aww, we obviously cross posted lol!

Think I've answered your post without knowing it lol!

And I can't get in the shower as Dan obviously had the same idea and has jumped in ahead of me!! If I get in mine, there won't be enough power for the water pressure! Ooh he's out now...gotta go...

Morning all :)

Apologies if I'm a bit distracted but I'm laying in bed with a cup of tea, a puppy who's decided that my ears are filthy and obviously need a good wash, and the England v France match on the tv. How exciting is this game??? What a difference to watch some REAL men in action...in comparison to that bunch of overpaid footie fairies! Typical of the French to finally find their form against us :( ...they're 6 points ahead but its early days, hopefully! Wales won this morning so I have a very happy hubby, and this afternoon we're off to the saints so its a good day as far as we're concerned! Would be even better if we could win!

I've been a bit awol from here (well my own diary at least) as I've just been so busy. Work has been pretty dire, with both general hospitals being on black alert, so panic stations all round. And I've learned that 3 staff are leaving at the end of the month which could put the nail in the coffin for us...it will probably mean dropping 2 vehicles which is something we simply can't afford to do operationally. We should hear if we've kept the contracts this month so keep your fingers crossed for us please xx

And of course when I got home from work last night, it was absolute chaos as Daniel had moved back in and there was loads to sort. We seem to have gained a lot of furniture that we haven't got room for, even though Dan told Katy she could take everything. And of course we have to find room for all of Dans prescription food which comes in bulk in big boxes so that's ended up in the utility room.

I'm really sorry for him as he really loved that little flat and it must be awful for him to give it up, but financially its the only thing he could have done. And from a selfish mummys point of view, it was nice to have all my babies back home last night.

But its certainly going to take some getting used to as Dans had a taste of independence for 6 months and is used to only having himself and Katy to think about.

And I'm so out of touch with cooking his food! Hope the poor kid is prepared for some disappointing dinners!

Anyway, half time now so I'm hitting the shower...hope to see you later, have a great day xxx

Sorry for Dan about the break up but I know just how you feel having all your chicks under your wings again! And the shower thing!! LOL! Mind you 2 of mine went off early to watch the rugby in town this morning.

What's Black alert?

xx :)

Bess said:
Sorry for Dan about the break up but I know just how you feel having all your chicks under your wings again! And the shower thing!! LOL! Mind you 2 of mine went off early to watch the rugby in town this morning.

What's Black alert?

xx :)

Hi Bess!

We're all just mother hens aren't we lol!

Black alert is when the hospital is in a minus bed situation. So ambulances then stack up in the carpark, unable to offload their patients, and are then not available for emergencies. It has a devastating affect on everything.

So my job is to get out any patients that don't medically need to be in hospital, and get them to another hospital, a home, rehab centre, or their own home. The problem is that we're also contracted to transport outpatients and day patients to and from their appointments, and cover various day hospitals and dialysis units too. So we reach a situation where we've got very sick people who need to come in for their appointments, and then home again, versus the need to discharge inpatients in order to free up beds and consequently casualty and the emergency ambulances.

And often I'm down to 5 or 6 vehicles.

Until we know if we've secured contracts, we're not allowed to recruit new staff or lease new vehicles, and lots of people have left and the vehicles are well past their best. But we plod on, doing the best we can with the resources we have available, and hope that things will get better soon. But its very disheartening, especially for someone like me who's been there for nearly 20 years and has always taken great pride in the job :(

Ok ok, I'll give you that one! :)

I'll be doing my utmost to keep out of reach...yet oddly I still can't wait to see what numbers you clock up on your first week! They're usually biggies aren't they?
Yes, sort of!

The first big number will be the WI and the gain figures!

Then I can concentrate on just seeing the figures slide! - at least that's the theory! - I always have this fear that I will go to the well and it will be dry.

Maximus said:
Yes, sort of!

The first big number will be the WI and the gain figures!

Then I can concentrate on just seeing the figures slide! - at least that's the theory! - I always have this fear that I will go to the well and it will be dry.

Nah...won't happen Steve x

Whatever the scales say youve gained this week isn't real weight. Common sense tells you your body can't have worked that quickly to store fat.

Once you get back into your normal routine with your food and also start walking again, it will fall off you :)

Now why am I being so encouraging when I'm in direct competition with you???

That's it, I'm off before I say anything nice and have Sarah after me!!

We won!

Time for a celebratory curry! ;)

Hi Bess!

We're all just mother hens aren't we lol!

Black alert is when the hospital is in a minus bed situation. So ambulances then stack up in the carpark, unable to offload their patients, and are then not available for emergencies. It has a devastating affect on everything.

So my job is to get out any patients that don't medically need to be in hospital, and get them to another hospital, a home, rehab centre, or their own home. The problem is that we're also contracted to transport outpatients and day patients to and from their appointments, and cover various day hospitals and dialysis units too. So we reach a situation where we've got very sick people who need to come in for their appointments, and then home again, versus the need to discharge inpatients in order to free up beds and consequently casualty and the emergency ambulances.

And often I'm down to 5 or 6 vehicles.

Until we know if we've secured contracts, we're not allowed to recruit new staff or lease new vehicles, and lots of people have left and the vehicles are well past their best. But we plod on, doing the best we can with the resources we have available, and hope that things will get better soon. But its very disheartening, especially for someone like me who's been there for nearly 20 years and has always taken great pride in the job :(

Crumbs, what a job - and to be handicapped by lack of resources must be very frustrating. Now I understand what you mean when you say you've had a bad day. x

Woop Woop, a victory and curry for you! Yay. Shame those silly English ruggers couldnt be as successful earlier.
I can only imagine the chaos that must have been your house last night. Do you mind me asking what prescription food Dan has to take? Hope it is not anything serious.
Enjoy having all your children together. I actually wish at times that I lived with my sister and brother. I had many many great times with them, and am very close to them, but we all move on and it's not like I don't see my sister often. My brother however is in Bangkok so rely on skype which is hardly the same. I miss him a lot.
Anyway hope you have had a lovely day. Have a good evening x

Nah...won't happen Steve x

Whatever the scales say youve gained this week isn't real weight. Common sense tells you your body can't have worked that quickly to store fat.

Once you get back into your normal routine with your food and also start walking again, it will fall off you :)

Now why am I being so encouraging when I'm in direct competition with you???

That's it, I'm off before I say anything nice and have Sarah after me!!

Hey! time out here! you ARE allowed to be nice to me and others. Sarah can't stand nice. THe rest of us love it.

One thing I am hoping is that a massive proportion of the weight is actually fluid/liquids - the biggest thing I like about the States is when you go in and pay for a drink (non-alcoholic) you can drink free refills all session. Having 5 or 6 diet cokes is easily done. Huge amounts of liquids are consumed because of THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY.

That could also go some way to explain great first week losses. - here's hopin'

Hope you're checking out & finding good curry houses;)

skinnydawn said:
We won!

Time for a celebratory curry! ;)

My friends we were out with last nite are massive saints fans an have gone to the match today glad they won he will be very happy :) :) I've been for a curry tonight too enjoy your night xx

hi dawn i've just found ur diary i can't believe i haven't come across it b4 am up to page 20 it's going to take me a while to read it all :eek: just wanted to say it's brilliant :clap: and i'm looking forward to reading the rest of it xx

Hi dawn! I hope your having a lovely curry this evening to celebrate the saints winning, i take it there was no wine involved ;) xx

pjallen1982 said:
Woop Woop, a victory and curry for you! Yay. Shame those silly English ruggers couldnt be as successful earlier.
I can only imagine the chaos that must have been your house last night. Do you mind me asking what prescription food Dan has to take? Hope it is not anything serious.
Enjoy having all your children together. I actually wish at times that I lived with my sister and brother. I had many many great times with them, and am very close to them, but we all move on and it's not like I don't see my sister often. My brother however is in Bangkok so rely on skype which is hardly the same. I miss him a lot.
Anyway hope you have had a lovely day. Have a good evening x

Thanks Penny x

Daniel has a genetic disorder called phenylketonuria (ply) which means he can't break down a type of protein called phenylalanine. Instead, it heads for his brain and can cause severe brain damage. So he's been on a very low protein diet since he was 2 weeks old. It means he can't eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, poultry, milk, bread, etc. Any foods that have a negligible amount of protein in can be eaten freely. And food that has a medium amount of protein, like potatoes or cereal, has to be weighed and counted (in exchanges) Daniel has an allowance of so many exchanges a day, a bit like our syns really.

Daniels prescriptions are for low protein bread, milk, pasta, rice, biscuits etc and for medication to give him all the amino acids he needs which he can't get from his food.

We're lucky to have received very good care from the hospital since Dan was diagnosed, and thankfully he has developed properly. They warned us he might be academically slow, and unco-ordinated, and could suffer fits. If he didn't stay on the diet, his brain would become so badly damaged to the point where he would have very little capacity and possibly end up in a vegetative state.

But he HAS stayed on the diet and I'm extremely proud of him. He's grown up into a very intelligent, witty, sporty and extremely handsome young man...and he knows it! Whenever we go out, he turns all the girlies heads!

And he's good at following his diet... tbh he's an inspiration to me. We all moan about having to restrict what we eat when we're slimming...but Dans had 22 years of it! It's quite humbling really.

Anyway, sorry for the long rambling post Penny...bet you're sorry you asked now! Xx

Last edited:
valerie11 said:
hi dawn i've just found ur diary i can't believe i haven't come across it b4 am up to page 20 it's going to take me a while to read it all :eek: just wanted to say it's brilliant :clap: and i'm looking forward to reading the rest of it xx

Ooh hello Val! Xx

How brilliant to see you!

Crikey...you must have much better things to do rather than read through all my rubbish lol! But I'm really flattered you've read so much of it, so thank you for that hunni xx

Now I have to do some detective work and find yours...not so easy when you're using a mobile! But I am a woman after all (cleverer species than the male ;)) so I shall find it! Hope you've got one now!

See you soon...:) xxx

Bess said:
Crumbs, what a job - and to be handicapped by lack of resources must be very frustrating. Now I understand what you mean when you say you've had a bad day. x

Lol...thanks Bess. I shouldn't moan cos there are much worse jobs I could be doing, but sometimes the stress of it all gets to me. And the frustration that I KNOW with the right resources we could do an amazing job :(

lynica said:
My friends we were out with last nite are massive saints fans an have gone to the match today glad they won he will be very happy :) :) I've been for a curry tonight too enjoy your night xx

Ooh well done on your friends for supporting such a brilliant team lol! Where do they live? Are they in northampton?

Curry seems to be the order of the day today! Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did! Xx

JackieN said:
enjoy your curry :D glad Dan is home but sad about the breakup bless him. He will love your meals you cook fab ones :D xxxxxxxx

Aww thanks Jackie xx

shenzi said:
Hi dawn! I hope your having a lovely curry this evening to celebrate the saints winning, i take it there was no wine involved ;) xx

Lovely curry thanks Emma! We got a takeaway as we were obviously in our saints gear...ok for a rugby match but probably not the thing to wear in town on a Saturday nite lol!

And yes, there may have been a little wine involved! We were a bit cold when we got home, so we actually opened a bottle of mulled wine that was left over from Xmas and warmed that up....and it was lovely! Just hit the right spot! ;)

skinnydawn said:
Ooh well done on your friends for supporting such a brilliant team lol! Where do they live? Are they in northampton?

oh Dawn you will think I'm a right numpty my friends support saint helens I don't follow rugby so when I read saints I just presumed didn't know where you lived an that there would be several teams with the same name ha ha. anyway glad your team won an you had a good day. I told my hubby saints had won after reading your post ???? Hope my friends saints did or I'm in trouble should always check your info :) x

Thanks Penny x

Daniel has a genetic disorder called phenylketonuria (ply) which means he can't break down a type of protein called phenylalanine. Instead, it heads for his brain and can cause severe brain damage. So he's been on a very low protein diet since he was 2 weeks old. It means he can't eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, poultry, milk, bread, etc. Any foods that have a negligible amount of protein in can be eaten freely. And food that has a medium amount of protein, like potatoes or cereal, has to be weighed and counted (in exchanges) Daniel has an allowance of so many exchanges a day, a bit like our syns really.

Daniels prescriptions are for low protein bread, milk, pasta, rice, biscuits etc and for medication to give him all the amino acids he needs which he can't get from his food.

We're lucky to have received very good care from the hospital since Dan was diagnosed, and thankfully he has developed properly. They warned us he might be academically slow, and unco-ordinated, and could suffer fits. If he didn't stay on the diet, his brain would become so badly damaged to the point where he would have very little capacity and possibly end up in a vegetative state.

But he HAS stayed on the diet and I'm extremely proud of him. He's grown up into a very intelligent, witty, spotty and extremely handsome young man...and he knows it! Whenever we go out, he turns all the girlies heads!

And he's good at following his diet... tbh he's an inspiration to me. We all moan about having to restrict what we eat when we're slimming...but Dans had 22 years of it! It's quite humbling really.

Anyway, sorry for the long rambling post Penny...bet you're sorry you asked now! Xx

Wow what an inspiration. I guess he is used to it now, but it does sound pretty bad and the consequences don't even bear thinking about it. Well done him for managing his diet though. Excellent x

Back