Extra Easy Dinner party menu ideas?

Daisyboo

We are having people over for dinner on Saturday and Im struggling for ideas for starter and dessert. :confused:

I am making Morrocan Tajine for main course and would like a relatively SW friendly start and end to the meal as I think I will be having a couple of glasses of wine to cope with the stress of cooking for 8! ;)

Any ideas?

These are on the website for a 'Mothers Day menu' and are 3 syns each- look very special (recipe serves 4):

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greek filo and fig cups [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
1 large sheet filo pastry, approx 45 x 25cm (18 x 10 in)

Low calorie cooking spray
4 tbsp low fat custard
4 ripe figs
4 tsp clear honey​

transp.gif
transp.gif
transp.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
fig-cups.jpg
[/FONT]

transp.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INSTRUCTIONS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-2]
transp.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas 6. Cut the filo sheet in half and cut each half into four squares so that you have eight 12cm/4½in squares. Spray each square with a little low calorie cooking spray and use a pastry brush to spread it evenly over the squares.

2. Spray the insides of four non-stick individual tartlet tins with low calorie cooking spray and use the pastry brush to spread the spray evenly.
3. Line each tin with two filo squares stacked at a 90º angle. Bake the filo cups for 8-10 minutes, until crispy and golden. Allow to cool, then remove from the tins.
4. To serve, place one tablespoon of the custard in each filo cup. Cut each fig into quarters, place on top of the custard and drizzle with one teaspoon of honey. Lightly dust with the icing sugar and serve immediately.​

The new sw mag has a dinner party menu in, cheese souffle to start and rhubarb, ginger and whisky custards for desserts.

I forgot about that menu plan thingy! Those fig tarts look yummy too. Any starter ideas then?

You are doing a lot of cooking so I would resommend keeping the starter simple and easy to do ahead of time.

You can never go wrong with just smoked salmon, brown bread (HEX b)and lemon wedges. You could tart it up with some capers and fromage frais.

Or a tricolor salad of sliced low fat mozerella (HEX a), sliced tomatoes and basil leaves

Or roasted red peppers- Halve them, put in chunks of fresh tomato, garlic slices and chopped anchovy fillets and olive oil (HEX b) and roast for on about 180 for 40 minutes then top with shredded fresh basil
xxx

A starter of Salmon as CP said above is always a favourite!! You can have a mixed seafood starter (buy the packs of mussels, squid, etc mixed at tesco)

or check slimming eats (brit mums blog) for some ideas :)

xx

How about Rocket and Parmesan Salad, use the parmesan as your Healthy Extra, I saw someone had this at a restaurant for a starter and thought how yummy it sounded.

Also how about making some homemade houmous with crudites for people to nibble on when they get there, I think the red pepper houmous i got off here is absolutely gorgeous and everyone at work love it.

You could always make a pate (either smoked salmon or chicken liver & bacon). This could be made the day before, and could be served with a hex b of pagen krisprolls (saves having to make toast for 8 !!!)

Back