Dissappointed by Pharmacy Support might stop.

bellyman

Hi everyone again,

I am disapointed by the non existant support of the pahrmacy I am using in Basingstoke. The first time I went it was on a Sunday and a nice girl talked me through the program and weighed me, took my blood pressure and talked me through everything. I therefore started this program in the knowledge that I was being overseen by a Pharmacy.

The next week I was checked on a Friday (work rubbish hours), this time though a young lad just weighed me and gave me my meals and that was it.

I therefore decided that I'd go in on Sunday and drive the 40 mile round trip to go on a Sunday because hopefully the lady who spoke to me on the first day would be there, fat chance. They say they can weigh me and give me the meals and that is that.

I am now at the end of my second week and am a bit disapointed to say the least.

These meals aren't cheap, I didn't mind paying the £45 for my 14 sachets with the support. If they are not supporting me I should either stop and try another diet or buy the supplements cheaper elsewhere (ebay).

I have questions that I want to ask.

1. Am I in ketosis?
2. What should I take as a laxative as I haven't been for over a week.

I was told when I started that they will check for ketones, weigh me and support me throgh the program. This is not happening and I am feeling let down.

This diet isn't easy and takes a lot of will power especially when the rest of the family are having take aways, beers coffee with milk and other treats.

I've followed this diet religiously and I have lost weight, though not excessive.

I would expect to lose weight as I'm not eating food just these boring shakes/soups and drinking black coffee and peppermint leaf tea, most of which I hate.

Oh well.:sigh::cry::break_diet::mad::confused::tear_drop::doh::raincloud::hitthefan::argh::help2::giveup::grumble::feedtroll::fear::faint2::d'oh::9529:

Wow, lot to respond to there but hopefully some of my ramblings below will be of use...

Pharmacy service
First, sorry you are disappointed. Personally all I get ni my pharmacy is pleasant service but noly a weigh-in and my shakes and polite chit chat. Perfectly nice though - I've never had any ketone measurement or blood pressure checking or anything. But neither have I asked. It is maybe worth you checking with Lipotrim themselves as to what support you should be entitled to expect from a pharmacy :) If that pharmacy told you that's what you should expect then definitely keep on at them (nicely of course, lol!) to get that. Me, I'm happy with the weigh-in, nice chat and getting my shakes but appreciate that we are all different and have different needs.

Ebay - please don't be tempted to buy sachets off ebay, as you have no idea what would be in them and they may be totally different to proper official Lipotrim products.

Willpower
As you say yourself, this isn't always an easy diet. But it IS possible to follow 100% and get the results you want and need. If you really want the results, you can do it. People on this forum are proof of that!

My interpretation of doing a TFR
We are not meant to love the shakes/soups/flapjacks. They are simply giving us our daily nutritional needs - they are meant to be helping us retrain our palates and getting us ready for a new healthier eating lifestyle once we've finished. We are also taking the time to disassociate food with being a 'treat' - perhaps this is just my personal interpretation of LT but it's a good way of thinking. Many obese and overweight people need a total change in mindset, I believe.

Things to think about
HOw much weight have you lost? What did you expect to lose? Maybe your real and hoped for losses don't match up? Do you think you could have the same results on another diet plan? Are you drinking 3-4 litres of water a day?

Ketosis
You should be in ketosis within 3-5 days - so if you're been following LT for more than 5 days then you will almost definitely be in ketosis. You can buy testnig strips called ketostix which can tell if you are in ketosis or not - i've not used them and some people on this forum have been confused by them or found them unreliable, so i've just figured sticking 100% will keep me in ketosis and saved me a few quid, lol.

Laxatives/fibre
Laxatives people have mentioned on this forum which have helped them include: physllum (sp?) husks, senokot, dulcolax. Someone else here will advise i'm sure. The LT-approved fibreclear is a fibre supplement which can be helpful - along with the LT flapjacks.

And finally...
How about setting up a tracker on here to chart your progress week on week? It's a great help.
Have you got a goal weight?
Have you set yourself goals to achieve when you have lost all your weight?
Do you have things you want to do to mark your different weight loss milestones?
All these thigns ar worth thinking about early on in your journey - they can all help keep you motivated.

This isn't the easiest diet, of course it isn;t,. it's about willpower, determination, perseverance, self discipline. But you can do it. You can follow LT 100% and carry on with pretty much normal life.

And, finally (!) the support I've had from this forum has probably been a big help in my success so far. It has been a very welcome addition to the pharmacy wekkly chats and weigh-in.

Good luck - don't give up, give it a few weeks and you will see wonderful differences in your weight loss.

great advice Elle ;)

what can i say Elle has everything covered, stick with it will def be worth it, it is tough but if it wasnt every1 would be doing it and there would be no overweight people,
i've only lost nearly 2 1/2 stone,(which isnt alot compared to some on this forum) but i have to say its completly changed my outlook on everthing, and i mean everthing,
from wanting to go out to pub (where i used sit in ashamed of how i look and nothing fitting me)
wanting to go for walks with kids,
looking forward to getting up in morning because i look and feel well

it is soooooo worth it stick with it :)

;) best of luck

Bellyman don't give up or got it alone, mine are similar to yours weigh in and what food do I want and see you next week but I'm there for a purpose to get my food and lose weight for me - if they never done it they dont understand so use these forums as your support and use your chemist as your weekly weigh in to keep you on track. In relation to your weight loss perhaps your not drinking enough water I am not a water lover so drink 2.5ltrs a day I honestly dont know how others get time to drink more. Your doing this to lose weight regardless of the support from the chemist there your means to an end and we are your support.

Elle has covered everything else and great email by the way - I love reading your weight losses over and over when see your posts they really are such an inspiration to keep going.

Thanks all,

Thanks everyone,
I wouldn't give it up as i'm as stubborn as a mule, just must have been on a bit of a low/moany moment.

Thanks everyone, Twiggy, Nicolas and especially elle for her long thought out reply.

I am going to the chemist later today to have my weigh in for the 2nd week and collect my sachets. I will update you with the news of my losses on my return.

I thought I had a tracker set up, the green tape that is in my posts with the tortoise. I'm trying to get to 14.5 stone. So a few stone to lose yet.

I'm managing ok, but I do feel hungry, I am up at 4.45hrs Mon to Friday though so it might be the time between shakes. I have the 1st one about 1000-1200hrs and the 2nd at 20.00hrs-2100hrs and got to bed about 22.00-2300hrs.

I've stuck to the diet and not cheated at all, so at least that must be good. I drink as often as I can when I am near a tap, but it must be 2pints then few hour then 2 pints etc, tall guy, need fluids otherwise get headache, if mouth is dry I drink. Enough to float a small boat. lol:D

Update - been to pharmacy and have been weighed

week start 265.2 Ib 27/07/09
week 2 257.7 Ib 31/07/09
week 3 249.3 Ib 09/08/09

I was a bit disappointed until the pharmacy said I was losing approximately a stone every two weeks and that made me think it was alright.

Last edited:
-hugs-

I can`t really add any more to Elle-Emms advice other than to ask if you know that the chemist down Giffard Drive in Farnborough has started doing Lipotrim?? It would be nearer than Basingstoke??

They started doing it a couple of weeks ago as I was going to go there when I started. In the end I decided to go to West Byfleet one as they`ve been doing it a long time so I thought they may be more knowledgable.

Maybe give one of them a try??

I only get weighed, have a chit chat and get my shakes at mine. No wee checking or BP but I`m happy with that.

LiSe Xxx

Well I am in Ireland. And a lot of our pharmacies have been closed all week as they are on strike. So my friend has been left with no where to get her lippo!!! I would be fuming if it was me. The pharmacies are money grabbers.

I tried 3 different pharmacies and was disgusted with them all. Like you, you would find the odd assistant that was interested in her job. But the others were just useless. One of them would constantly give the wrong info.

So this time I have done the dreaded thing....ebay! I know, I hear you all hiss disapproval. But hey they taste 100% identical to the other sachets. They come packaged the same and in a lipotrim plastic bag and all. Not ideal but it is working.

The pharmacies are money grabbers.

I tried 3 different pharmacies and was disgusted with them all. Like you, you would find the odd assistant that was interested in her job. But the others were just useless. One of them would constantly give the wrong info.

How true. My WI day goes like this.
-Go in, say hello (not always a reply tho)
-Get weighted
-Pharmacist pulling faces, convert kgs to stones and pounds(wrongly never done it right from the beginning)
-Write in details, ask for flavours
-Take money, sometimes I even get a bye but not holding my breath.
That's it.
Never taken my blood pressure ask any questions other than: cash or card?:rolleyes:
Please don't give up. If the pharmacy is only there to give you your shakes than not a lot we can do. They only doing this because the percentage they taking from LT for selling it. I just find out recently that only small number of GPs doing Lipotrim because it's
good extra money for them. The rest is
a:-do not believe in TFR-VLCD
b:- does not want to lose their money from government for treatment for obese people(which is significantly more than what LT is offering for endorsement.)
c: don't give a **** about obese people because it's always our fault of being FAT

On the other hand how Pharmacies making money?Selling medicines. If all the obese people would lose weight and some of that people whom are taking medicines for treatment (which they are described because underlying healthproblems due to being overweight )would just stopped taking medicines.It would be bad for GPs and pharmacies also. Less money from the government and from us NOT overweight (anymore ).

Ahhh, sorry i could go on and on and on.....
Anyway, Please dont give up. I know it's not easy without support and specially for us who have families and they can be really unsupportive sometimes. This forum is here 24/7 for us to give support for each other. I am always here if i have a doubt or have cravings. (and most of the times when my family is eating, lol)
Write together the reasons why you are doing LT and always be positive. Good luck for your next week. Take care.
x:family2:

ON the water... how about taking a big bottle of water with you to work every day? It's better to have little and often than to gulp down 2 pints at a time, more likelihood that you'll p1ss it all out quicker! ;)

good luck - we share the same trait of stubborn-ness :)

Woo, Single+ for PM!:cool: Well said. Now I am not using LT atm but I am no stranger to the vlcd. Indeed, I have a mixed supply of LT and Exante in my cupboard as I type.:rolleyes:

I believe any pharmacy offering the LT prog should provide support, BP checks, weigh-inn as basic. A lot of them who don't are obviously only in it for the cash and there should be checks carried out to make sure they are giving proper care.

Please noone go to Ebay, it's a rip off! I just checked there now and it's still a rip off. For e.g. 2wks supply female shakes, £97.99 plus free postage (big deal lol). I do know what it's like cos I have bought from Ebay in desperation and paid over the odds when I couldn't get a doctor's signature.

The Exante vlcd has good offers on atm at about £37.99 and is legit as it's from their site, loads cheaper than Ebay.:D

Like Sara, I am in Ireland and our pharmacies have been on strike all week. I luckily have a 3 weeks supply left over from my trips to the UK but as we dont know how long this strike will go on I intend to get some towards the end of this week.

Our pharmacies are funded differently to the UK ones which is why they are on strike. They make a mint from LT patients/clients but this strike means any pharmacies that are opening are only opening for 2 hours at a time........... I dont know the full politics of the strike but am dreading trying to pick up my 4yo prescription for his asthma meds later in the week!! Took a friend 48hours to get his daughter prescription during the week, no-one had sympathy and she is 18months old and has cancer!

Ooops sorry rant over!!

Lyn,

when you are paying upwards of €65 per week £97 is cheap.

I have seen it cheaper on there too.

I am still hoping if I am not at goal by my next UK trip then I will get some there..

love T.x

Ebay is cheaper than Ireland!!! Hands down! But that is not why I went there. I went there as I felt the pharmacies were just rediculous over here. I object to them fleecing me.

Meant to say.....LT is approx £38 sterling per week that works out at about €44. So where do our pharmacies get off charging us €65 per week????

Totally agree Sara!!!

When I am in the UK I get it for £36 which equates to around €42 at todays exchange rate. I am going over in September, my flights cost me €18 therefore even if I only get a weeks supply I have already save €5 and had a weekend away. I will hopefully get another 4 weeks....

4x£36=£144 about €168+flight€18=€186

Alternatively €65x4=€260

I will have a wonderful weekend away meeting loads of friends too, as well as saving €74...............enough for the next week I have to pay for in Ireland!

Totally agree Sara!!!

When I am in the UK I get it for £36 which equates to around €42 at todays exchange rate. I am going over in September, my flights cost me €18 therefore even if I only get a weeks supply I have already save €5 and had a weekend away. I will hopefully get another 4 weeks....

Alternatively €65x4=€260

I will have a wonderful weekend away meeting loads of friends too, as well as saving €74...............enough for the next week I have to pay for in Ireland!

Totally agree Sara!!!

Alternatively €65x4=€260

BTW, I dont get much support in pharmacy either.

Back to Bellymans Thread....Lol

I said from the off my Chemist were not great, this week there was not even a weigh in, I have bought me own scales, and know its working, so I guess the chemist is doing what I really want.....Supplying.

Some seriously good well though out and constructive answers, well done all.

Bellyman, keep it up, if for no other reason than to save me asking all the questions you seem to, I am a week behind you, so need you to be there Buddy.

Thanks all

Bill

Hi Bill,
Thanks m8, nice to know there are some guys doing this diet also.

Thanks everyone else also for the support. This forum is great.:)

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear you have not had much support from your pharmacy. I'm kinda guessing you go to the one at Crown Heights in the town centre if you went on a Sunday. I fould them unhelpful when I tried to buy Fibreclear in there and they refused saying they would only sell it to their own LT customers!!!!

That isn't the only chemist in Basingstoke that does it, there is one on the north-east side which is open Monday to Saturday and another just off the A30 (close to junction 6) at Old Basing, unfortunately this one is only open Monday to Friday 9am - 6pm but the lady in there is very professional (although they never tested my wee just weighed) She always has time to chat through any problems, although if she doesn't know the answer she will encourage you to ring LT direct. She actually lives in Aldershot and travels in every day.

Hope this helps.

x

Back