Ditched the scales properly

Veggiegirl

I have after YEARS of daily weighing ditched my scales. They were really expensive so Ive given them to a lady in my class who lives ages away and who I dont know mega well so I wont be able to pop round and get them - I didnt throw them away as they cost alot and I didnt trust myself not to get them out of the bin!!! Ive tried hiding the scales, the battery, getting someone else to hide them etc but it just hasnt worked, Ive always retrieved them again. Ive removed them completely for the following reasons:-

I was weighing myself more than once a day - obsessive.

I was happy/sad/angry with myself/disheartened/pleased etc at the start of each day, based on what the scales said - I want those emotions to come from "proper" reasons, not numbers!

It left room for leeway - eg a good result after a couple of days meant relaxing a bit, a bad result meant "trying harder" - there shouldnt be any of that, I should just be trusting and following the plan every day, not altering each day depending on my weight.

I want to see past the numbers and embrace the fact that most of the time SW means Im eating extremely healthily AND Im exercising a lot more.

I want to treat the "off days" and times off plan as blips which in the long run (ie a whole lifetime!) are just part of it all and not something to beat myself up over just because Im 2 lbs or whatever up from yesterday.

I want to go to my weigh-ins not having a clue what my weight change is going to be, rather than having got on the scales at home already that morning and therefore already knowing exactly what Id done (and sometimes a gain means I put of going to group....).

I want to see the big changes all at once - eg, on my really good weeks when Ive lost 3 or 4, Ive seen a gradual lb every couple of days come off, rather than a nice big 4 lbs all at once.

Finally - Im a person with good sides AND faults and my worth is NOT in how much I weigh - I want it to be a weekly check up, a tiny part of the week just to make sure all is going well on my weight loss journey and not the major stress that it is at the moment.

Sorry for the long post and I know this topic has been covered lots but this is a momentous step for me and Im sure there may be someone else out there who may decide to ditch their scales too or who has done so in the past and can maybe give some encouragement?!

Next Tuesday will be the first time in years that I will be completely blind to the result all week! It WILL be the first of many!!!!

Thanks for reading! xxxx

OMG you brave woman, I sooooo want to do this, i just cant, im obsessive too! I might give it a try one day if im ever feeling as brave as you! well done :)

Thanks Mrs Joy! - sounds ridiculous but I was dreading it!! Have been wanting to do it for ages but I had to feel "ready"!!! Now Ive done it I feel liberated already and I know I wont take any sneaky "risks" like extra syns because I wont be able to check if Ive "got away with it"! I will just be trusting the plan and Im already looking forward to next weeks weigh in. Will let you know how it goes, good or bad! xxx

I totally understand I also weigh myself everyday and discovered I can easily gain 5lbs in a day.
I have always been on and off the scales like a yo yo. Im joining a weight watchers class tonight after being back on the plan and losing 1st 4lbs.
first thing in the morning... wee then hope on to either shreak with delight at being 6 lbs lighter than the following morning or depressed that I am heavier and in a bad mood for the rest if the day.

You have inspired me to get rid lol. My scales also cost a tidy penny and have been a modern feature to my bathroom for the last 2 years.
Im sick of seeing them. A friend of mine has just moved so Im going to donate them to her although I doubt she weighs herself being a size 8.

Well done you xxxxxx

I was happy/sad/angry with myself/disheartened/pleased etc at the start of each day, based on what the scales said - I want those emotions to come from "proper" reasons, not numbers!

I was the same! I'd always weigh myself the morning before WI & I'd spent that whole day feeling rubbish 'thinking' I'd not done well I'd find it hard to stick to plan.

The things we do for a sneaky weigh in :sigh:

It even got to the point that my boyfriend could hear mr frantically pressing for it to come on with my foot and him shouting ''on the scales again madwoman??'' haha xx

My family are the same - "you're not weighing yourself AGAIN are you?? Theres no need!" which is very true. Lisa have you also binned your scales then? Has it made a difference? xx

My family are the same - "you're not weighing yourself AGAIN are you?? Theres no need!" which is very true. Lisa have you also binned your scales then? Has it made a difference? xx

No I didn't, somehow (over time I suppose) I managed to stop myself from doing it. I have medical scales which are brilliant & very accurate but I weigh at home which means without them I'd have no clue how I was doing ;)

Well done Lisa - I tried to many times to just wean myself off of them but just couldnt do it. I even thought about taking the scales when going away for weekends!! I didnt - but the fact I was tempted to put the scales in my suitcase shows how addicted I am! (Until today hehehe!) xx

Ha that is classic good job these buget airlines give you hardly any baggage allowance I could see us all now with the old bathroom scales in out hand luggage x

Well done Lisa - I tried to many times to just wean myself off of them but just couldnt do it. I even thought about taking the scales when going away for weekends!! I didnt - but the fact I was tempted to put the scales in my suitcase shows how addicted I am! (Until today hehehe!) xx

That made me chuckle ;) I think the reason I stopped doing it was purely because I'd feel so low that day, I just felt awful. I did have a few occassions where I'd tuck into something I didn't really want & was well over my syns just because I 'thought' I may have a bad weigh in. Silly really. All I can say is my mood is much better weighing only once a week :)

Wow - I love this thread!! I gave my mum (who lives next door) my scales. I weighed myself about 6 times a day or more. Before a wee, after a wee, morning, evening, naked, clothed and so on lol.

My sense of freedom is brilliant now - feel liberated!! x

hahahahaha you describe me so well sally ;)

Maybe we should all meet up and smash scales. Anyway I find clothes give me as good as idea as weight. Think my bf misses the morning weigh in where I would dash through the kitchen, drop my dressing gown and jump on the scales lol x

Hi,I'm pleased for you, i do it the way you want to be. So just wanted to say I love going to class to see the surprise,I stay on plan 100% and eat what I fancy,with no guilt ( on plan obviously) I've lost 2st in 14 weeks. Years ago I lost 6 stone with no home weighing on SW.
Good luck,I hope you'll be much happier trusting sw and yourself xx

I took the batteries out of my scales on saturday, and convinced myself i wouldnt put them back in....but i failed and they where back in place this morning, with my feet firmly on top of the scales! pah!

Back