Do fat cells eventually disappear?

LL Gal

Beautiful day
Hi all,

The above question crossed my mind today. I have heard in the past that fat cells shrink when you lose weight, but once they have formed, they never go away completely. Is this true, and if they do go away, how long do you have to remain thin for this process to take place?

I thought that the only way to get rid of a fat cell is to have it surgically removed, and even then you can still get fat because the body will find a way to store fat. I think that everyone has fat cells and it's just a matter of a) how they are distributed and b) whether you choose to fill them up and make them expand.

I would doubt that you could lose weight so you are thin, wait a prerequisite time i.e. until your fat cells have magically vanished and then carry on as you were.

I'm not a dr though so am perfectly prepared to be proved wrong!

sadly it's true. You can get rid of fat cells unless you have them sucked out.

Thanks guys ... it's frustrating that those cells will be there forever but interesting. I know that when I achieve my goal and carry on into maintenance it will be really hard work with self-monitoring and control. Can't wait to reach that day and give it a go!

apparantly we all have the same number of fat cells but different levels of fat contained within. so just like letting water out of a baloon it shrinks when emptied but still remains .....lipo here i come LOL!!!

LOL Sue, I am definitely considering it too, but of course I have a way to go before that!

Back