do i have to use extra- lean beef mince?

hi, was wandering if i have to use extra lean mince beef in my recipes? my friend told me i could just brown some mince off and then drain the fat off and it would be free, is this true? extra lean minced beef seems so expensive, i would use quorn, but my children dont like it. is turkey mince free? thankyou for your help.

janemasters said:
hi, was wandering if i have to use extra lean mince beef in my recipes? my friend told me i could just brown some mince off and then drain the fat off and it would be free, is this true? extra lean minced beef seems so expensive, i would use quorn, but my children dont like it. is turkey mince free? thankyou for your help.

Unfortunately it won't be free even if you do that.... Using lean mince is my only tweak to the plan as I use it and don't syn count it.... Cannot abide quorn mince and the extra lean stuff is sooooo expensive and the amount you get doesn't provide enough for my family ( we like out meals very meaty). so far it hasn't affected my losses but it's not recommended.... As for turkey mince I think it has to <5% fat to count as free but I'm not 100% about that.

Ive always used lean steak mince from morrisons or the butchers, as per previous poster ive never sinned it, i just make sure i drain all fat away. If im being extra good i will drain using a sieve and then pour boiling water over to remove any remaining fat (you probably lose all flavour this way but if putting it in spag bol etc cant say I notice)

Dont think it ever affected my losses as lost nearly 2 stone before getting pregnant, im back on the slimming world wagon now and plan on doing the same again! :D

Back