Do slimming clubs work?

OpalLilyEats

Gold Member
I read this article in the BBC magazine on their website this morning, it is really interesting - BBC News - Do slimming clubs work?

It chats about the impact of slimming clubs and what impact they could have on losing weight. It also chats about evidence to support GPs referring patients.

There is a show starting tonight at 9pm on BBC Two called "The Men Who Made Us Thin" which looks really interesting - I'll definitely be watching!

I watched it too, mind you we all know that if we eat less and exercise more we'd be slimmer..... It's just that it seems to be hard work lol

It's the same programme Emsie! It was so interesting!

Yes, it was really interesting. It's a real pity they didn't cover SW only WW though. And I agree the stats on gaining weight were terrifying. Only 16% (I think) keep the weight off for longer than two years - actually could have been even less but you get the picture. It was very damning of the whole diet industry which is built on the fact that people fail, blame themselves instead of the diet so keep returning to the diet. Very depressing.

Gonna watch it tonight on iplayer. I watched the previous series the men who made us fat.

It was very interesting to seethe statement released by slimming world... I know they try to differentiate from WW by saying its a lifestyle change rather than a diet but I'd be willing to bet that slimming worlds long term success figures would be very similar to WW... It's people that fail not the diet at the end of the day if you think that once you get to target you can start eating junk again then it's inevitable you'll regain the weight.

It was depressing viewing. I did try intuitive eating after failing slimming world for the 1st time. The idea was to ditch dieting and eat what I wanted but slowly and when hungry, it made sense. BUT it didn't work either as I lost control and continously binged and gained weight.
So I came back to slimming world because as the ww said in the programme the alternative is to do nothing and stay obese forever. Im not blaming sw for my failure the first time, my sw consultant didn't force feed me. I'm responsible for what food goes in my mouth. I don't really see sw as a big corporate machine wanting us to fail to make money. The consultant I met was loving and had best interests at heart and wanted everyone to succeed.

I know what you mean. When I got to target the first time I tried to behave but gradually my old habits of eating junk crept back in. I had no-one to blame but me. I hoping this time round it will be a lesson learnt. I am aiming to change my thinking not just my weight!

It's really easy to fall back into old habits. If I had stayed on plan I wouldn't have put weight on. I think a lot of it is down to having a bad relationship with food and using as a comfort. This will take time to mend.

The episode didn't really offer any alternatives to dieting to loose weight. And I can't see the nhs telling us to stop.

I look forward to seeing the episode on slimming pills as I think its shocking how easy they are to obtain.

Back