Do you choose low fat options??

Starlight

Gold Member
This is something I was curious about. When youre buying foods which are 'free' do you just pick anything or do you still check cals, fat content etc. Having done WW for a couple of years obviously Im quite aware of the fat content etc in things.

I find when Im buying things like bacon, tinned beans, spaghetti, sausages and the like I still go for the lower calorie, lower fat option. I still always buy WW beans and spaghetti, figuring theres no point in eating extra cals I dont need. I still buy quorn for my spag bol etc.

Does anyone else bother with things like that .... or is it just me ;)

It depends. Yes, I buy the lower syn/ free foods, but I dont look at the contents, unless its going to effect the diet in any way.
I tend to stay away from guessing that lower fat foods are lower in syns, as this has quite often caught me out!

Given a choice between two products I would usually go for the lower syn one but I've never been one for checking labels for calories and fat content. That said there are a small number of products where I do not go for the lowest syn or free choice. One being Asda meat free mince and chicken-style pieces. I prefer these to the quorn versions and so choose the syns over the free quorn.

Im far to lazy for that, plus.. as iv learnt in the past, lower fat content, lower calories etc.. dont always mean low syns!

xxxx

I do. Obviously with synned food, I would look up the syns. But when it comes to one free food or another, I go for the lower calorie option. I do this with yohurts, beans, tinned spaghetti, all those. Theya re all free, but one tin, may ahve sgnificantly less calories than the next.

Lynda

Yes Starlight I do - there's something very satisfying and virtuous in buying all low fat food's.

I don't buy WW baked beans so much now though, I have found Branston Beans to be just as nice and only 3 cans for a £1 at Asda at the moment, I particularly like them because they are not all thin tomato sauce and not many beans as some cans are - the sauce in Branston beans is thick and the can is full of lovely plump baked beans.

It varies with me. I have natural yogurt on my weetabix, but I don't like the fat free stuff. I like Yeo Valley Organic Probiotic Yogurt and so I eat what I like the taste of. The whole 500g pot is 7 syns, so I have it over 5 days, spreading the syns out like that. I don't see the point in eating foods I don't enjoy, as it's more likely to make me crave other things.

Things like cottage cheese, however, I will by the lowfat ones as they're free or low syn and therefore easier to work into recipes with breaking the syn bank. If I can find a good quality low fat cheddar, I'll buy it (that Low Low cheese is probably the nicest of the bunch, with Cathedral City Lighter coming a close second) but I think nothing of having ordinary cheese and just weighing and synning it.

I'm not a big fan of sweetners and often the low fat/low cal versions of things have sweetners in them, so I tend to avoid on that basis. But that's just my personal choice.

i do with certain things,like you i still buy ww bacon ( or stores own version) but things like beans i usually buy the smart price,cos even when i was on ww i found the points difference was tiny for the extra cost.
With some things its personal taste. i'm really not keen on frylite so i use a spray of olive oil and just count the syns,to me its worth it

To me if it's the low fat version then it has to taste as good. I don't like most low fat cheeses, I'd rather have less of a really strong cheddar for example. And with baked beans I have to side with Donnie, I don't like the after taste of the sweetner in the lowfat ones and branston beans are just the best tasting beans around! I buy them at £1 for 4 when they're on offer in Morrisons. They taste like heinz used to before they changed the recipe, and the amount I eat, there would be too few calories difference to make any difference.

Back