do you have to have superfree food with every meal ?

I am having superfree with my main meal and if I have a cookeed brekkie but say for lunch if I have a sandwich I dont always have superfree x

If I have just a sandwich and on an EE day I would eat fruit afterwards, and try and make my sandwich with salad on it.

If it was a green day I would usually have an egg mayonnaise (extra light mayo) and still have some fruit.

I try to include fruit or veg with whatever meal I choose.

This is just me, Im sure other people will be along to tell you what they do ?
Best of luck

I am the same as Peppypig. I will try my best to have salad in my sandwich, or a bowl of soup beforehand, or fruit after. As far as SW is concerned, you get out what you put in. :)

yep, I'm a loadup on salad and fruit person. for instance tonight I am having a low syn fry up (grill up) for dinner. I don't like tomatoes grilled, so I'll follow it with a nice bowl of fruit.

It depends on how militant you are about following to the letter.

The answer is - Yes, you DEFINITELY need to have 1/3 superfree with every meal if you are following the plan properly

To really follow it properly you should have it on the same plate as the rest of the food (not in a bowl afterwards), and it should replace a higher calorie free food. For example, a plate piled with 3 Grilled chicken breasts, SW chips & baked Bean would not be okay if you followed it with a bowl of fruit. If you replaced 1 chicken breast with but some actual veg on the plate that would be fine. Why? Cos your chicken breast that you've replaced would have significantly more calories that the veg you eat instead. But because the veg is filling,l you would be full, even though your calories intake was lower. Conversely, if you ate that original meal, then had a bowl of fruit you would actually be eating more calories, just to try and fulfil your 1/3rd superfree allowance.

Unless of course you are going to leave 1/3rd of your plate empty? Which is just a bit strange :)

However, if you had a meal with 1/3rd superfree in it, and afterwards were genuinely hungry, you can still have that extra chicken breast - but only if you are actually hungry!

Now, some people can get away with doing it the way others have suggested above. I'm just not one of them I'm afraid :(, so I do tend to be fairly militant on the whole 1/3rd superfree on the plate with every meal thing.

thanks I havnt had it with every meal so will start now oops although still lost 6lb so cant complain :/

slimmoley2be said:
thanks I havnt had it with every meal so will start now oops although still lost 6lb so cant complain :/

See, if you are losing still, & your happy with the rate at which u are losing, then do whatever works for you hun x

whatever plan i do i trend to eata maority of super free foods. As well they are filling and low cal so making them the main partof my meal, also helps me loose the weight. I will sometimes concentrate on ss foods as well. Currently doing extra easy and not found it difficult at all to eat a thirdof super free everymeal :). Breakfast is generally fruit so big bowl of fruit and sorted.Lunch will be a big salad and i[ll cook dinner and put several types of veg on there. Eating a lotof green veggies atm, to make sure my calcium intake is up to scratch :)

I just can't see how my stomach will know my fruit was in a bowl not on my dinner plate, it's eaten at practically the same time?
and I'm losing so it can't be all bad lol.

Flibsey said:
I just can't see how my stomach will know my fruit was in a bowl not on my dinner plate, it's eaten at practically the same time?
and I'm losing so it can't be all bad lol.
I am trying to say this in a way which doesn't come over as arsey - cos i really don't mean it that way. Read my explanation again, and it should explain why it being in a bowl rather than on your plate is important if you want to stick rigidly to the plan. Its not about your stomach - its about your brain!

I have been out and bought loads of salad and fruit. I always have the veg so ie with spag bols it always gets bulked with veg etc and if I have cooked brekkie I have toms and mushrooms but its more when I have cereal/sandwich etc - so got the salad and fruit for this :) if I'm losing 2lb not doing hopefully I'll lose more doing it :) every little helps as they say - it totally makes sense the way you explain it xxx

I don't want to contradict previous posters but SW have responded to a number of people on this question and said that they understand it may not be possible to have superfree with every meal and also that it is perfectly acceptable to have superfree as a dessert following your main meal. Yes the ideal is to have it at every meal and either as a starter or as part of your main course for the reason given above. But they are happy for you to have it after and if you look at the SW menu plans this does happen.

PatchworkPuss said:
I don't want to contradict previous posters but SW have responded to a number of people on this question and said that they understand it may not be possible to have superfree with every meal and also that it is perfectly acceptable to have superfree as a dessert following your main meal. Yes the ideal is to have it at every meal and either as a starter or as part of your main course for the reason given above. But they are happy for you to have it after and if you look at the SW menu plans this does happen.

Yup - hence why i said its all to do with how strictly you want to follow it :). I wish i could miss it out occasionally but i just can't :(. There is logic behind it all, but if you're losing by doing it a different way, go ahead. I'm just jealous!

It depends on how militant you are about following to the letter.

The answer is - Yes, you DEFINITELY need to have 1/3 superfree with every meal if you are following the plan properly

To really follow it properly you should have it on the same plate as the rest of the food (not in a bowl afterwards), and it should replace a higher calorie free food. For example, a plate piled with 3 Grilled chicken breasts, SW chips & baked Bean would not be okay if you followed it with a bowl of fruit. If you replaced 1 chicken breast with but some actual veg on the plate that would be fine. Why? Cos your chicken breast that you've replaced would have significantly more calories that the veg you eat instead. But because the veg is filling,l you would be full, even though your calories intake was lower. Conversely, if you ate that original meal, then had a bowl of fruit you would actually be eating more calories, just to try and fulfil your 1/3rd superfree allowance.

Unless of course you are going to leave 1/3rd of your plate empty? Which is just a bit strange :)

However, if you had a meal with 1/3rd superfree in it, and afterwards were genuinely hungry, you can still have that extra chicken breast - but only if you are actually hungry!

Now, some people can get away with doing it the way others have suggested above. I'm just not one of them I'm afraid :(, so I do tend to be fairly militant on the whole 1/3rd superfree on the plate with every meal thing.

That is an excellent description Kingleds.

the 1/3 SHOULD be on the same plate and I'm sure we've all heard of or done the adding fruit or veg afterwards or in addition. It is all about the interpretation of 100% as you said.

By dividing the plate into "thirds" and one of those containing fruit/salad/veg as part of the plate as you mentioned we can achieve this.

Of course, as we all know people still lose doing their own version of this, but as you said, that is the official way to do it and losses of course would be even greater by integrating the 1/3 onto the plate replacing the other 1/3 of something else;)

This explains why I spend so much on fruit, veg and salad because 1/3 of every single meal has to contain them.

All because I like to call myself a 100%er:(

That is an excellent description Kingleds.

the 1/3 SHOULD be on the same plate and I'm sure we've all heard of or done the adding fruit or veg afterwards or in addition. It is all about the interpretation of 100% as you said.

By dividing the plate into "thirds" and one of those containing fruit/salad/veg as part of the plate as you mentioned we can achieve this.

Of course, as we all know people still lose doing their own version of this, but as you said, that is the official way to do it and losses of course would be even greater by integrating the 1/3 onto the plate replacing the other 1/3 of something else;)

This explains why I spend so much on fruit, veg and salad because 1/3 of every single meal has to contain them.

All because I like to call myself a 100%er:(
So do you put your 1/3 fruit on the same plate as your spag bol? Nooooooo.

I actually don't even put my salad on the same plate as my spag bol. I serve it in a bowl as I can't stand meat sauce on lettuce!

Doing SW on my own I actually emailed SW HO to ask for help and I was told that fruit after a meal was perfectly acceptable as long as it was a 1/3 of the total meal.

They used an analogy of a "virtual" plate. So this does contradict some of the advice being given here.

I understand all about the brain visualising what we are going to eat but I think practicalities do come in somewhere along the line.

How would we get our fruit in if we don't have it afterwards? As I tend not to have snacks between meals I just wouldn't eat any fruit at all. Sorry, but being an old fogie I was brought up this way i.e. snacks are bad for you - slapped wrist from mum.

But to answer your original question - yes 1/3 superfree with everymeal is recommended.

Back