Do you keep SS a secret?

i tell everyone because i am proud of what i am doing.

i still get some idiots saying "aren't you amazing! i couldn't do it! amazing!" and i feel like saying "i'm not amazing, i'm just fat and doing something about it".

i get the stupidest comments sometimes but i try to ignore them xxx

Only tell people if they ask. I usually say it's soups and shakes with an evening meal of meat and veg. I have only had a couple of people comment. The last one was at a training day last week, a complete stranger offered me a danish pastry in the break, I said no thankyou I was on a diet and she tried to argue with me why I should accept it. I just said again that I was 'being good'. And let it drop. But she did try to keep telling me the best way to lose weight 'is everything in moderation' whilst scoffing a big danish. I said that it was because I couldnt do cake in moderation that I got up to 17 stone. She let it drop eventually. Funny isn't it? total stranger arguing for my right to eat cake, even when I am saying I do not want it. Not sharing food with others really pushes some peoples buttons, and until this point I would have accepted food when ever it was offered. Doing a VLCD has really made me look at the social function of food and realising that I ate not only because I was bored/angry...but sometimes just to be polite. No longer.

the only people that know are my husband, daughter and one of my sisters. I don't tell anyone at work, like MrsT people at work have noticed and ask if I'm on a diet, I just tell them I'm cutting down on carbs (true) and cutting out junk food(also true),They are used to me having a "cup a soup" for lunch, used to have one before, plus yogurts and sandwiches etc so they don't question it. At work when you are on a diet people seem to try and make you cheat, like 2 who are doing weight watchers if one cheats they go and buy something for the other like a bacon barm so that they cheat too, so I find it easier to say nothing, also I don't want lectures

Hi,

I've told my housemates, dad/mum sisters, close friends and family (lovely grandma, aunt) at first. I don't lie when people ask me; 'how do you do it exactly?' but when they are not specific in their question I'm vague. I don't think everyone should know or anything so I'm not out there with a CD sticker on my face, but I will tell people if they ask me outright.
Most people don't ask me outright, so I don't tell them what I do exactly. :)

xxx

The only person that doesn't know that I'm doing a VLCD is the queen! lol
I've told every man & his dog. I was in Tesco tonight & a girl I know commented on how much weight I'd lost & I told her I was on CD.

I'm not bothered by peoples comments about it being bad for you, or whatever. I'm doing it for me & I know it's a good diet, so that's all that matters :D x

about being polite and not refusing food. i KNOW i've been guilty of that in the past. and i'm always being offered things. although the guys at work don't offer me cake and such any more. they do still offer to get me something from the shop but don't offer me the stuff they pass around each other. but then i can tell people i'm skinnifying madly because i want to buy my wedding dress after christmas. and they accept that because i suppose they can understand it. ha.

abz xx

I didn't tell anyone besides my immediate family until people started noticing the weight loss and asking how I did it - and knowing how some people can be negative about VLCD, I just said "by being really good and disciplined, cutting out all sweets and treats and no alcohol" and left it at that!

I haven't said what plan I'm on to many people at all because the response might not be a positive one and I don't want them to throw me out of my zone 'cause I’m proud of how I'm doing, though it is feeling harder now I’m in week 8. People are certainly noticing now and I feel good for it. I will keep going! Sometimes the less people who know the better!

I actually had a couple of ladies ask me if I’m well (in good health) because of all the weight I’ve lost in such a short space of time. I’ve let them know I’m fine and I know for sure that I certainly don’t look sick.

So far the only people who know are my other half and my mother (and CDC of course).

I actually had to lie to his OH's family the other day when we were meant to be having Sunday dinner. His mum has recently lost a stone and now is very vocal on the best way to lose weight (which in her opinion is not a VLCD), if I told them i'd never hear the end of it. Instead I said that i'd been out the night before and my stomach was a little dodgy so i'll eat the dinner when it settles down (OH ate it instead). Don't think I can keep that lie up tho, they'll be sending me to rehab soon!

I go to dietition(cdc) once a week, on a strict diet of porridge, high protien food and exercise. Doing 810 now but said the same when on ss+. Thats all anyone other than my family need know, not that im the sort to take notice of peoples media polluted views anyway just dont need lecturing. :)

yeah. i have used the low calorie, lowish carb, low fat line more than once... the fact that they see me walking around with porridge in the morning helps i think :)

abz xx

I haven't told anyone! - Although I'm planning on telling my family over x-mas, but as between us we have tried everything from WW to atkins to cabage soup I dont think it'll be an issue. I just want to see if there'll be any 'you've lost weight' comments before I do - lol.

My problem is my flatmates are kinda getting obsessed with what I'm eating, to the point I'm trying to make a point of having bars or porrige around them. Hopefully though after x-mas I should be at a place where I can SS+ or 810 and they'll leave off some.

Only a very few people know I'm doing this, ie my family and a couple of very close friends. I tend to tell people I'm on a low carb diet with lots of water. I think they mostly think I'm doing Atkins and don't comment further. I can't be doing with the face pulling etc you get when you tell them what you really are doing.

My parents, sister, boyfriend and good friend from work know I am doing CC. My parents and sister are all behind me - they just want me to be happy.

My boyfriend and good friend also want me to be happy, but are scared about the effects and have said they are not happy with me doing this, but will support me . I am disappointed with their view, but I know they are just looking out for me.

I have no intention of telling work colleagues as I know they will make a big fuss about it and be very negative. I find it so strange how people seem to be happier when you are overweight (and unhealthy) but when you start to do something about it they get all crappy with you! There is a woman at work who has lost a lot of weight in a short period of time - we suspect a gastric band because we have seen her eat - but the negative comments people make behind her back are terrible - "oh, her trousers are falling off her" "she looks sickly". I can't believe it!! She looks so much better now she has lost weight and is obviously so much happier (and nicer to work with). I just wish people would stop being jealous and support those of us who choose to loose weight.

So, whilst I am doing CD - no one at work will know. If anyone asks how I am losing weight I will say by eating less (which is definitely true), not snacking (also very true) an exercising (which they all know I already do).

Besides when the weight comes off - I will be looking for a new job anyway - just need to get my confidence back and buy some awesome suits for interviews!!!!!

Christy you sound so much like me!!! the only thing I will say is that I stayed in a job which I was unhappy in for years for those reasons but something snapped and I went for an interview for a job I really wanted and guess what! I got it!

Good luck with Cambridge, you are going to love it!

Nina

Christy you sound so much like me!!! the only thing I will say is that I stayed in a job which I was unhappy in for years for those reasons but something snapped and I went for an interview for a job I really wanted and guess what! I got it!

Good luck with Cambridge, you are going to love it!

Nina

What keeps me going is buying some fabulous nipped-in the waist black suit and killer black heels to wear at interviews. I just want to feel confident in myself again (and soon)!

I'm just starting CD, but I did LL before. When I first started, I told friends and family only. I needed all the support I could get, after all! My friends and my husband were a little nervous at first, but once they saw that I could get through the first few weeks and I was OK, all that worry evaporated. They aren't worried at all now I'm on CD SS, in fact one of them was happier that I'm on CD (from LL) as she has a CDC as a client and has learned a lot about CD as a result.

Work was really difficult for me, mainly because the company I work for is very body beautiful and everyone there has a strong opinion on how everyone else in the office should lose weight. I'm by far the heaviest person in my office, and the majority of the other women are extremely thin and very competitive with each other over who's thinnest that week. I'm not exaggerating this a bit, btw - they mark down whatever they're competing over that particular month/week (waist/hip/arm/thigh measurements, weight) down in a communal calendar and make a big deal over who's ahead. On a site like this one, it makes sense, as we all have weight to lose... but from 4 women who are 5'9" and size six, it's a bit sick, really.

Anyway, I wasn't really interested in joining in the competition or getting any sort of focus on my weight loss from my coworkers, so I kept mostly schtum. I told one of my coworkers when I first started, mainly to ask her to let me know if the diet was affecting my moods or impacting on my job. I'm much more relaxed about it now. If someone comments on my weight loss and asks, I'll tell them. It's become more of an open secret since I switched to CD from LL, mainly because people want to know why. Since I switched over to CD, I've actually had one of the 5'9" size-sixers ask me if I could give her my unused LL packs, so she could fight the holiday flab. :doh:

Last edited:
I have told my sisters, some friends and OH, all people who will support me, but I am not saying anything to work, but then I don't see people from work all that often as I work from home or on client sites mostly! so hopefully by the time I see them I will get some great responses!

Back