Do you plan

Nikkiwales

your day or a weeks menu? At the moment i'm kind of planning each morning, which means im popping to the supermarket nearly everyday and its getting expensive. How do you manage your meals? and keep costs down?

generally i plan a week ahead and shop all in one go-some times need to top up fruit and veg mid week,and other fresh produce.

But i also try to build some flexibility into the plan -if you do your plan on a sunday like i do ,you can get to wednesday and not fancy beans on toast for lunch !!

I plan meal to meal. I know what I have in the house and decide according to my appetite, this is important to me because if I eat something that I don't really fancy, I will eat something else after it whether I'm hungry or not.

I need to start planning...in fact, I'm going to plan right now. Looking at the recipes on SW and liking the look of a lot of them. Making quorn tikka masala tonight :) Sounds yummy x

I tend to shop for the week, with small top ups. Then, from what is in the house, I decide day by day. I found that buying daily works out more expensive as I always buy more than I plan to.

I plan meal to meal. I know what I have in the house and decide according to my appetite, this is important to me because if I eat something that I don't really fancy, I will eat something else after it whether I'm hungry or not.

Glad I'm not the only one who does that !!

I'm another that plans ahead and take my shopping list with me, however I try to be alittle flexible, in that if there is something on the reduced shelf I can substitute meat :D Got a lovely pork loin joint that was 1/2 price so is sitting in the freezer now, and chicken is always good if reduced.

I do top up in the week for milk and fresh veg etc.

My family are enjoying what I am having at the minute, but I do add something extra on their plate that I wouldn't have, last night I had chilli and soy glazed steak stir fry but added noodles to theirs :D (steak was reduced lol)

Not sure if I could cope day to day shopping I like to be organised since starting SW :D

I plan a week's worth of meals before going shopping. Did this even before SW as I find I spend less. However I'm flexible on what meals we have each day as most of the meat goes in the freezer so tend to eat anything salad based first as stuff like carrots and broccoli tends to last further into the week.

Im a self confessed shop-aholic and go every other day to a different store, Sainsburys, Aldi, Tesco, Asda, co-op!

I plan day to day and look for good offers and plan my meals around what I buy generally.
Spend WAY TO MUCH though so maybe should take a leaf from your books and plan ahead.

My cupboards and freezer are always jammed full but still keep buying more :) An supermarket addict! Still better than spending it on clothes and shoes which was me before I had kids! :)

I live on my own, so there's only me to buy and cook for. I am not as organised as I should be, but there is usually enough in the store cupboard to keep me going if the fridge is empty.

I get a lot of vegetables in, especially those which keep well, like butternut squash (to which I am addicted!!), leeks, potatoes, etc. And I always have red lentils, barley, Ebly, rice, etc., in the cupboard so I can throw together a vegetable stew.

But I don't get meat or fish for more than one meal, or I find I forget about things and find them at the back of the fridge when it's too late!!

It is far too easy to get carried away in the supermarket, I find, so you will find me standing there muttering "if I have this on Sunday and that tonight, I don't really need that one as well". Well, when you are my age you can get away with looking a bit eccentric - I hope!!!

I sit with the wife in advance of our weekly shop, and work out what meals we will both want for the following week, and also what the kids will be having if they aren't having the same. We generally work dinners to suit my shifts at work.

Then we work out the base ingredients, add those for lunches, brekkies and other things for around the house, and pretty much stick to the list religiously instore.

All we pick up through the week are the things we couldn't get a weeks supply of in the first place due to best befores (mainly fruit and veg, milk, etc)

I plan the next day when I'm staring at the telly in the evening, lol. I generally try to incorporate whatever I've already got in - or needs using up, but I do nip to the supermarket quite a bit for just the one item I don't have!

Im a self confessed shop-aholic and go every other day to a different store, Sainsburys, Aldi, Tesco, Asda, co-op!

I plan day to day and look for good offers and plan my meals around what I buy generally.
Spend WAY TO MUCH though so maybe should take a leaf from your books and plan ahead.

My cupboards and freezer are always jammed full but still keep buying more :) An supermarket addict! Still better than spending it on clothes and shoes which was me before I had kids! :)

LMAO
My husband has just said to me why are you going shopping when we have 2 fridges full,2 freezers full and a pantry, yes you guessed it full.
Think I need therapy for my supermarket addiction lol

I'm actually running my cupboards & freezers down at the mo - no idea why, lol. (Other than I've been redundant for 4 months and OH's just taken a paycut!)

I have to plan, otherwise I struggle. I don't plan meals down to the fine details but I think up a few ideas what I'd like to eat and even buy some low synned food in case I'm feeling lazy and can bung a load of sw chips and beans on the side.

I loosely plan a few days ahead. My only problem is that I hate rigid boundaries and almost never want to eat what I planned for that day. So what I do now is plan a day in advance based on what I have available at home and top up with things I need every so often.

Back