Extra Easy Do you think diet drinks make you fat?

cmcewn

Silver Member
I read an article yesterday from some university in the states that said that diet drinks are really bad for you because of the artificial sweetener and that they actually cause a weight gain. I drink quite a lot of coke zero but since reading that I havent touched it all day .... scary! :cry:

Do you think diet drinks can make you fat?

They make you bloat. I drink flavoured water as much as I can now. I have gone from 6/7 diet fizzles a day to 1, sometimes none. Flavoured water is better for you, not to mention it tastes nicer

I think the sweetner in the diet drinks/water obsorb water and cling on to food in the body. After all these sweetners are artificial (chemicals). Also the sweet taste of them stimulate appetite. If you can drink plain water or add some lemon/orange zest to it.

calorie wise i don't think so, but they can increase your sweet cravings as they promise you a sugar hit and the body prepares and then doesn't get it.

my particular vice is pepsi max, full on addiction :eek: when i reduce it i lose weight better i think.
that though could be cos i drink more water :rolleyes:

I have read the same article and it has made me think about my intake of fizzy drinks.
if you stop coke suddenly you will get bad headaches so be warned xxx

I think I'm addicted to Pepsi max too. I make sure I drink only water at work then in the eve I have a cpl of glasses of Pepsi max n a pint of water. I do wonder Wots in it if there's no cals, no fat, no sugar lol..all fake stuff..can't be good x

I think I'm addicted to Pepsi max too. I make sure I drink only water at work then in the eve I have a cpl of glasses of Pepsi max n a pint of water. I do wonder Wots in it if there's no cals, no fat, no sugar lol..all fake stuff..can't be good x

Chemicals - called artificial sweetner.

A few years ago friend of a friend's mother died of cancer and they said it was because she drank and ate stuff with artificial sweetner in it (how true that is I do not know).

I actually can't stand to be anyway near a diet drink after I've had a chemotherapy infusion, but when I've recovered, I can drink them again. It's weird, but I think it speaks volumes - my body seems to know it's not good for me.

I think it does make you crave something sweet. Coke zero is my only vice, and I am gradually trying to cut it out of my diet. Tried to go cold turkey the other day and I am not kidding you I felt like death. Have now cut to 3 cans a day, then will cut to 2 next week then 1 fingers crossed.

It has not however slowed my weightloss but I think that is because I have always had it, so for me it is the norm.

The way I see it is, I don't drink, smoke or eat bad foods, so if it is bad at least its the only bad thing I have at the mo hehe

I know the correct answer to this for you so I hope it helps. (did a personal training and nutrition course)
Artificial sweetners are hundreds of times sweeter than sugar there for your body gets ready for a major sugar rush, but gets no sugar, areas of the brain then create a desire for this more.. Some of these sweeteners can cause the body to crave high sugar and high carbohydrate foods because phenylalanine(in aspartame) blocks the amino acid serotonin that plays a part in regulation of appetite. When serotonin is lacking it screams out for these foods. (therefore making you eat more) they are chemicals and they're not good for the body. The same

Oops...
The same goes for MSG in foods. They put it in foods to enhance the flavour but this chemical is highly addictive and part of the reason they put it in(you buy more of it) . So best to stay away from processed foods as much as we can. Hope this helps xxxx

sparklesazzy said:
I think it does make you crave something sweet. Coke zero is my only vice, and I am gradually trying to cut it out of my diet. Tried to go cold turkey the other day and I am not kidding you I felt like death. Have now cut to 3 cans a day, then will cut to 2 next week then 1 fingers crossed.

It has not however slowed my weightloss but I think that is because I have always had it, so for me it is the norm.

The way I see it is, I don't drink, smoke or eat bad foods, so if it is bad at least its the only bad thing I have at the mo hehe

I do drink it occasionally, I dont really get major cravings from it but it can cause of you drink alot I should imagine

Oh I had no idea there was Msg in savoury rice....grrrr! I will be making my own again. Had been having it as a quick addition to meals now and again, but not having it if there is msg in it!

I used to always make my own using stock and adding peppers, peas etc into it but got lazy!

All ready meals, packet foods, tinned foods are laddend with soya (bulking agent), sweetner and food enhancers(e.g MSG) which make us crave for me food. When you read the packets it does not tell you or disguise them by using different terminology. This is a marketing strategy to sell more food.

I drank alot of water and green tea 2 weeks ago!and lost 4.5 pounds But this week I got slightly addicted to diet vimto and diet lemonade! And only lost half! Sobieski think I will be restricting! Do no added sugar cordial have the same effect??

Back