Extra Easy Do you think diet drinks make you fat?

I've cut down from drinking fizzy drinks, to NAS cordial and my losses have been a bit better. More importantly I feel better - as the sweeetners in pepsi max etc were a bladder irritant (TMI) and now that's not an issue!

Okay, bit of a reality check here.
Diet drinks do not make you fat!

Foods high in calories and saturated fat make you fat.

Diet drinks do have a higher potential to make you bloated, retain water, or have sugary cravings. BUT if you drink enough plain water and ignore the cravings you will still loose weight.
I don't mean to be arkward when saying this its just that i have lost count of hte number of times someone comes on here having not lost and suggests it might be because they drank too much diet coke- it really isn't the reason - the food is the reason!

Okay, bit of a reality check here.
Diet drinks do not make you fat!

Foods high in calories and saturated fat make you fat.

Diet drinks do have a higher potential to make you bloated, retain water, or have sugary cravings. BUT if you drink enough plain water and ignore the cravings you will still loose weight.
I don't mean to be arkward when saying this its just that i have lost count of hte number of times someone comes on here having not lost and suggests it might be because they drank too much diet coke- it really isn't the reason - the food is the reason!

So glad you said this as I was about to. :)

Diet coke is 3 cals per 2l, 3500cals = 1lb so you would need to drink 2,332 litres of diet coke in a week to gain a pound. If anyone does that they have problems worse than the weight gain. :strikeout_button:

It's the same principle as with the pill/injection/coil etc. People say it makes you gain weight - IT DOESN'T. It makes you crave stodgy/fatty foods and increases your appetite (like having TOTM cravings but for a longer period) so as long as you control your cravings/appetite you'll be fine.

dreamslim said:
So glad you said this as I was about to. :)

Diet coke is 3 cals per 2l, 3500cals = 1lb so you would need to drink 2,332 litres of diet coke in a week to gain a pound. If anyone does that they have problems worse than the weight gain. :strikeout_button:

It's the same principle as with the pill/injection/coil etc. People say it makes you gain weight - IT DOESN'T. It makes you crave stodgy/fatty foods and increases your appetite (like having TOTM cravings but for a longer period) so as long as you control your cravings/appetite you'll be fine.

I have to disagree with you about the coil! My friend had it in and within 2 weeks had gained 10lbs she had already lost 3st with SW and when she went to set doctor distraught about her weight gain her doc said it was fluid, she had worked so hard at SW and was furious with the gain she made them take the coil out, she lost the 10lb within a few days! She hadn't craved anything and didn't eat differently her gain was completely down to the coil! :)

I have to disagree with you about the coil! My friend had it in and within 2 weeks had gained 10lbs she had already lost 3st with SW and when she went to set doctor distraught about her weight gain her doc said it was fluid, she had worked so hard at SW and was furious with the gain she made them take the coil out, she lost the 10lb within a few days! She hadn't craved anything and didn't eat differently her gain was completely down to the coil! :)

Sorry, I should have made it a bit clearer. Yes, initially you do tend to have a gain due to water rentention (I have the injection and gain about 3lbs every time I have it) but drinking lots of water usually helps (maybe that wasn't the case with your friend though). I meant in the long term, I have a friend who had the implant and she had it removed after the 3 years and decided she didn't want it replaced with anything and APPARENTLY the nurse told her she will lose 2 stone in a heartbeat without changing a thing about her diet. She didn't change a thing and she didn't lose a pound (in fact, she put on about 7lbs in the first month). When I chatted to my nurse (as I tend to have to have the 'obese' convo everytime I go in at the mo) she said it is the cravings etc and that if the nurse did say that to my friend then that was very irresponsible of her.

I said my losses are slightly better, but I do agree they don't make you fat. Full fat, aye, but nay the diet ones.
They did make me bloated (and a urine MACHINE) which is why I stopped and my losses were a bit better due to being less bloated less often!

I said my losses are slightly better, but I do agree they don't make you fat. Full fat, aye, but nay the diet ones.
They did make me bloated (and a urine MACHINE) which is why I stopped and my losses were a bit better due to being less bloated less often!

This I agree with, I'm not drinking fizzy drinks much at the mo coz I've given up caffeine and I feel so much better for drinking loads of water etc. I know that some Doctors will say that diet coke etc counts towards your 2 litres a day of water but I'm not sure I wholly agree with this, you definitely feel the benefits more when drinking water. IMO anyway. :)

Sorry, I should have made it a bit clearer. Yes, initially you do tend to have a gain due to water rentention (I have the injection and gain about 3lbs every time I have it) but drinking lots of water usually helps (maybe that wasn't the case with your friend though). I meant in the long term, I have a friend who had the implant and she had it removed after the 3 years and decided she didn't want it replaced with anything and APPARENTLY the nurse told her she will lose 2 stone in a heartbeat without changing a thing about her diet. She didn't change a thing and she didn't lose a pound (in fact, she put on about 7lbs in the first month). When I chatted to my nurse (as I tend to have to have the 'obese' convo everytime I go in at the mo) she said it is the cravings etc and that if the nurse did say that to my friend then that was very irresponsible of her.

ahhhhhh right, it completely put me off getting the coil, I worked too hard to loose this 4st so I sent the hubby off for the snip instead :eek:!! ;)

ahhhhhh right, it completely put me off getting the coil, I worked too hard to loose this 4st so I sent the hubby off for the snip instead :eek:!! ;)

Hahaha, well, fair enough. Lol. I just couldn't believe it when my friend said that to me, my first response was 'yeah, but if you try' and she said that the nurse had told her no and that she would just lose it anyway.

I'm a bit of a nerd and did an internet search and the injection and the implant are pretty much the same chemicals and NHS direct listed the symptoms as 'increased appetite and weight gain' which to me implies that they are one and the same as opposed to 2 seperate symptoms. Then my nurse confirmed that. Although she still nearly fell off her chair on one visit when I just started sw and I had lost 10lbs in the 5 weeks since my injection. Haha.

Sorry to barge in so are we not suppose to eat anything with MSG in it??? If all tinned stuff including veg contains it also savory rice do most things contain it ? Does anyone know what is safe to eat- i near died when i saw about the sweetner id never used sugar or sweetner but started when baking in sw so i dumped it and bought the sucro stuff still scared to use it thou
I used to drink diet coke 24/7 it didnt affect my weightloss i jus drink cordual now cuz i cant afford all the coke but no difference in weight

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well msg is not definately bad for everyone, Some people are sensitive to it though. It gives me awful IBS symptoms, and I have been having it recently and didn't twig it could be that. There is a lot of it in chinese food and I always find the next day i have an awful tummy from it. Some people can get palpatations too but its not that common.

Most people don't get symptoms from it, but it is not as widely used now as it was. It used to be in lots of packaged foods, but not as much now.

As far as I am aware its not in tinned veg/fruit, and its not in baked beans, tomatos etc usually

It usually says it on the packaging as monosodium glutamate if you want to check and avoid it.

The sweetener thing is similar, some people get symptoms others don't so its personal choice

sparklesazzy said:
Well msg is not definately bad for everyone, Some people are sensitive to it though. It gives me awful IBS symptoms, and I have been having it recently and didn't twig it could be that. There is a lot of it in chinese food and I always find the next day i have an awful tummy from it. Some people can get palpatations too but its not that common.

Most people don't get symptoms from it, but it is not as widely used now as it was. It used to be in lots of packaged foods, but not as much now.

As far as I am aware its not in tinned veg/fruit, and its not in baked beans, tomatos etc usually

It usually says it on the packaging as monosodium glutamate if you want to check and avoid it.

The sweetener thing is similar, some people get symptoms others don't so its personal choice

Thanks for your reply:)

Im not sure what youre disagreeing with? :confused: Youve said it yourself, it causes fluid retention - that is not the same as weight gain in the sense of the reason you are on SW ie makes you gain weight as fat.

As a former diet Coke junkie (easily 5 tins plus a day at work) I think it can affect weight loss. It did make me hungerier for sweet things and bloated. Never mind the killer energy slump mid afternoon. I now allow myself 1 a day at work but only with my lunch as it nulifies the effects of sweetners on appetite

I think anyone who thinks artificial sweetner affects weight loss needs a tad of a reality check- SW is based on foods that contain them. Muller lights, low calorie drinks- look at food packaging?

As I said, it makes you bloat. If it made you fat and gain weight I wouldn't of lost 1.5 stone in 7 weeks drinking 6-7 low calorie artificial sweetener drinks a day.

Just like theirs no evidence "theyre dangerous". It that was true, im pretty sure i would be dead right about now. Before SW even I lived on things with artificial sweeteners, at least for the past 8 years.

Idrink one glass of diet juice a day now as i watche a thing on tv that shows you how the preservatives in them actually preserves fat pockets that cause cellulite. Im ugly enough without being plagued with that lol xx

bethibobshobnobs said:
I think anyone who thinks artificial sweetner affects weight loss needs a tad of a reality check- SW is based on foods that contain them. Muller lights, low calorie drinks- look at food packaging?

As I said, it makes you bloat. If it made you fat and gain weight I wouldn't of lost 1.5 stone in 7 weeks drinking 6-7 low calorie artificial sweetener drinks a day.

Just like theirs no evidence "theyre dangerous". It that was true, im pretty sure i would be dead right about now. Before SW even I lived on things with artificial sweeteners, at least for the past 8 years.

It's not that they directly make you fat. It's that for some people they can trigger cravings and cause bigger appetites. I eat artificial sweeteners(in my coffee, yoghurt etc) and don't notice any major cravings but I dont eat alot of it. I guess it varies from person to person. There was a scare before with saccharin as they found something similar was carcinogenic. But these sweeteners are still widely available. On the other hand so is fast food, alcohol and cigarettes.. I try not to worry about sweetener too much.

well- put it this way- i drink pepsi max and sugar free pop often, as well as diet energy drinks...i'm personally happy with my losses- 8 stone 1 in just over 10 months.

I don't think it makes me fat. Eating cr@p and not exercising did that for me ;)

Yup. I have two or three cans of diet soda every night and just got my 8 stone award this morning :) If anything they help me by filling my tum up with gas so I feel fuller and giving my mouth something to do rather than eat crap :D :) In an ideal world yeah we'd all live on fruit & veg and pure spring water - but this aint an ideal world, and to be frank I wouldnt wanna live in it if it was :rolleyes:

Back