Do you think this is 'food abuse'?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Moo85, 8 August 2011 Social URL.

1. Moo85

Moo85 Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st2lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4lb(11.39%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've just been looking into the Jillian Michaels eating plan out of interest to see what the differences are from SW. Then I came across this recipe for Quinoa Crunch:

Jillian Michael's Quinoa Crunch Yogurt Topping (135 cals per 2 Tbsp) Recipe

I tried it and it's really nice (like granola). I checked my book and it says Quinoa is a free food, but 'if ground or used as a flour substitute', it needs to be synned.

I'm not doing either of those things, BUT it is being toasted instead of boiled and just the fact of it being so tasty makes me think it won't be free! What do you think?

I would obviously syn any oil/honey added regardless. ;)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. CAPRICORN

CAPRICORN Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st11lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(8.43%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi there

OOOOOHHH I love Jillian and have her books and THAT recipe looks good - I have loads of quinoa in the cupboard and lets be honest "quinoa needs something to make it yummy" :p

I wouldn't say its abuse as you are eating it in its whole form and if we can boil potatoes or boil em and they are free on EE/Green I can't see this being any different... well I hope not because now I HAVE to try it ...:D

*must look up syns in flax seeds too*

4. who_la_hoop

who_la_hoop Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1.5lb(36.62%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I don't think you're going to get an official pronouncement on this, because it's a cunning use of quinoa, lol :D

But I reckon it's not in the spirit of the SW plan, perhaps, because you're not cooking the quinoa as normal (adding water, and thus bulk) - you're dehydrating it further by toasting it. I would syn it if I were you - if you go by the calories alone, it's 3 syns a tablespoon.

5. Funky_Munky

Funky_Munky Put the kettle on

Start Weight:
    10st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    I think this is true, dried quinoa wont keep you as full for as long as it would if made regularly.

Having said that, if you limit it to once a twice a week, it might not do too much damage.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.