Do you think this is 'food abuse'?

Moo85

I've just been looking into the Jillian Michaels eating plan out of interest to see what the differences are from SW. Then I came across this recipe for Quinoa Crunch:

Jillian Michael's Quinoa Crunch Yogurt Topping (135 cals per 2 Tbsp) Recipe

I tried it and it's really nice (like granola). I checked my book and it says Quinoa is a free food, but 'if ground or used as a flour substitute', it needs to be synned.

I'm not doing either of those things, BUT it is being toasted instead of boiled and just the fact of it being so tasty makes me think it won't be free! What do you think?

I would obviously syn any oil/honey added regardless. ;)

Hi there

OOOOOHHH I love Jillian and have her books and THAT recipe looks good - I have loads of quinoa in the cupboard and lets be honest "quinoa needs something to make it yummy" :p

I wouldn't say its abuse as you are eating it in its whole form and if we can boil potatoes or boil em and they are free on EE/Green I can't see this being any different... well I hope not because now I HAVE to try it ...:D

*must look up syns in flax seeds too*

I don't think you're going to get an official pronouncement on this, because it's a cunning use of quinoa, lol :D

But I reckon it's not in the spirit of the SW plan, perhaps, because you're not cooking the quinoa as normal (adding water, and thus bulk) - you're dehydrating it further by toasting it. I would syn it if I were you - if you go by the calories alone, it's 3 syns a tablespoon.

who_la_hoop said:
I don't think you're going to get an official pronouncement on this, because it's a cunning use of quinoa, lol :D

But I reckon it's not in the spirit of the SW plan, perhaps, because you're not cooking the quinoa as normal (adding water, and thus bulk) - you're dehydrating it further by toasting it. I would syn it if I were you - if you go by the calories alone, it's 3 syns a tablespoon.

I think this is true, dried quinoa wont keep you as full for as long as it would if made regularly.

Having said that, if you limit it to once a twice a week, it might not do too much damage.

Back