Doctor advised SW to me...

laurenmay

Gold Member
I've just got back from a doctors appointment for a viral infection, and weirdly the doctor wanted to weigh me and take my height. She then told me I'm obese in the BMI scale, which I know, and asked me if I've had weight issues for long - which I haven't.

It's only since Christmas I've gained weight, going from 9.7st to 13st, purely through laziness and greed. She advised SW to me and told me that if I sign up online, I can get the starter pack and books then go it alone if I'm not fond of going to meetings - I like the idea of signing up online but when I looked the price ranges from £40 to £75?! I can't afford either amount, but the doctor told me it shouldn't cost that much & if I ring them it's cheaper?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

starting weight - 13st o goal weight - 10st

I can't afford to and wouldn't have anyone to watch my LO for me either. People are selling SW starter packs on eBay, I could buy one and follow it myself couldn't I?

You'll probaby end up paying more on ebay tbh. Its 15 pounds to join. Check the sw website for any current offers. If you had joined last week you would have got it for a fiver as there was a voucher in one of the womens mags. You can take you LO to class with you so that's not an issue. The consultant talk will be invaluable and you'll have access to the sw members site for a few weeks even if you never go back to class. By the way you won't get it cheaper by phoning sw so your doc is wrong. That's the set price for a three month online membership

I agree with Patchwork Puss - You'd be better off going to just one meeting so that you get the up to date books and the new members talk. Lots of people take babies and toddlers to my group and no one minds at all. Good luck - SW is a fab plan and you'll really enjoy it.

I don't mean to sound or be awkward but I really don't wanna go to a class, even if it is just the one time. I have social anxiety disorder so being around people frightens me. If you could all let me know just what I need to start then I can browse online - some eBay members are selling the 2012 new starter packs, is that all I'll need?

You can take kids with you x

Sorry hun, that bit didn't sink in - I suffer with anxiety problems too and know how debilitating is. There is one book you really need - it's orange and white and says 'Food Optimising' on the front with a pic of a heart shaped orange splashing into water. I really hope you can find a good deal on Ebay so you can get started. You can learn loads from this site too - have a look at some of the sticky threads at the top of the page especially http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...d-advice-new-comers-including-extra-easy.html

Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks girls, I'll have a read of that stickie now before buying anything online.

Awww sorry to hear you have bad anxiety have been there too was in all sorts of pills at one point thought I had schizophrenia the only thing that helped me in the end was a book called essential help for your nerves or self help for you nerves by a dr weeks it's on amazon for a couple of quid xxxx

Thanks girls, I'll have a read of that stickie now before buying anything online.

Its also quite easy to find the fact sheets online, I am an online member so I have them all saved on my PC, I would send them to you in email but I can't private message as I'm a new member! Theres loads available online though, good luck :) :)

Its also quite easy to find the fact sheets online, I am an online member so I have them all saved on my PC, I would send them to you in email but I can't private message as I'm a new member! Theres loads available online though, good luck :) :)

You can't offer to send stuff on email, in a pm or otherwise, it's a breach of copyright.

Just had a read of the stickie, and I admit it does sound a bit confusing but makes sense at the same time - if that makes sense?! Lol. I definitely wanna give SW a go, to me I'm at the point in my life where I don't wanna be on a strict diet forever, it's depriving and just makes me miserable. After having my LO last year I've realised life is too short to fret about dieting and stuff, but I do wanna implement a healthier lifestyle for both my son and myself, and slimming world seems the right path to go down for that :)

You can't offer to send stuff on email, in a pm or otherwise, it's a breach of copyright.

Oh well I can't anyway, all available on various websites anyway!

On another note, I was having a conversation with a friend about this, I think the £60 sign up online fee is quite excessive, I wonder if they should consider a 1 month thing?! Very strange!

£60 is excessive, especially for online membership! That's what put me off when I researched SW in the past!

Just had a read of the stickie, and I admit it does sound a bit confusing but makes sense at the same time - if that makes sense?! Lol. I definitely wanna give SW a go, to me I'm at the point in my life where I don't wanna be on a strict diet forever, it's depriving and just makes me miserable. After having my LO last year I've realised life is too short to fret about dieting and stuff, but I do wanna implement a healthier lifestyle for both my son and myself, and slimming world seems the right path to go down for that :)

It does seem very complicated at first but you'd be surprised at how quickly it all sinks in, once you get on a roll. I agree that the online membership is extortionate for what you actually get. I think it works out as the same price as actually attending a class (which in itself is well worth £4.95 a week if you ask me).

Online membership is the same price as a group - £20 a month, it's just they make you sign up for 3 months up front. I think SW want people to go to group to be honest!!

Weight watchers online is cheaper - £30 for 3 months

Or you could do what an awful lot of my friends do these days, calorie counting for free!!!

Back