Does anyone bake?

sharron12

I have always been a bit of a cook and love following new recipes etc but as I've been on a 'diet' for most of my adult life I've avoided baking. Anyway, now on pp and feel like I have a lot more freedom to make a cake every now and then as long as I track it. I made a lovely lemon cake the other day but at 10pp for a small slice I know there has to be a healthier way to do this. Has anyone tried substituting flora light for butter or sweetner for sugar? Does it work or isn't it worth it? X

we dont have real butter in the house and use flora all of the time, they turn out fine.

You can get half sugar, that supposed to be 1 tsp equivalent to 2 tsps of sweetness.

I've used sweetners in cold cheesecake, but I wouldn't know how it would cook... might be a bit iffy.

You should try cupcakes, they tend to be a lot lower in points than cake is and you can freeze batches of them x

(if you're anything like me and make a batch of things then eat them all at once...... lol)

thanks for reply- will try using flora light and half sugar in the cake and see how it goes. Might have to give it a go tomorrow for research purposes! I want to be able to do birthday cakes etc so need to get practising :)

thanks for reply- will try using flora light and half sugar in the cake and see how it goes. Might have to give it a go tomorrow for research purposes! I want to be able to do birthday cakes etc so need to get practising :)

Yeah definitely. I'll never forget my childhood disaster cake experience.. My mum made me a cake, I think it was my 5th birthday, and it didnt rise, AT ALL. Blue icing too, I got a blue frisbee cake for my birthday :D

I would be interested in any good baking recipes people have too..will def try just using light marg instead of butter. i made some ww recipe cookies before but they were awful!x

I bake lots and recently found out the Half Spoon has exactly the same amount of points per gram as the usual caster sugar. So definitely double check before baking. :)

I've heard at a.meeting (last year) that you can use sweetener aka canderall instead of sugar. But there's something to do with it tasting metallic if cooked at high temps so had to be cooked for longer at a lower temp! But try researching it. Look on the candela website they might have recipes and you'll see from temps. :)

Oh and meringue is easy and low pp to make. Yum yum yum :)

in one of the WW recipe books theres a recipe for banana loaf that i made recently, had a few friends round and it soon disappeared, was really nice with a coffee and only 2pp a slice.

You can use sweetner as a replacement for sugar. I know this is weight watchers but there are some good recipes in sw for cakes I imagine they won't be high in pp as you whisk egg whites to make them rise more.

Spanish Orange cake bit made with bananas is vet very yummy!!

Sorry to come over from sw but I'm thinking of going back to ww :)

The Weight Watchers Complete cookbook which I got from Amazon has some lovely low point cakes etc, which I will be trying later on but the all used sugar instead of sweetener. some used butter as well and some low fat spread. I prefer not to use sweetener if possible

I've used splenda granulated before in baking, and the it came out fine, it's just a pain working out how much you need to substitute for the sugar. I find spelnda to be a really good sweetener, it's the only one i've tried that doesnt have the horrible artificial taste to it - if you go on their website it gives you the nutritional content for if you want to point it and they have some recipes on there too which have also got the nutritional info!

Just had a look and instead of weighing the Splenda you just measure it out in tablespoons, so 25g/1oz of sugar would be replaced with one level tablespoon of sweetner, which would be pretty easy to calculate for most baking recipes x

Thetrigos said:
Just had a look and instead of weighing the Splenda you just measure it out in tablespoons, so 25g/1oz of sugar would be replaced with one level tablespoon of sweetner, which would be pretty easy to calculate for most baking recipes x

I agree, it is a better tasting one. I have used it in a few cakes and they always taste nice.

aye but you're only supposed to use half the amount in any recipe x

Oh really?? I didn't know that. So if the recipe calls for 100g you only used 50g?

Back