Total Solution Does anyone else think Exante hot meals (spag bol etc) are gross?

There isn't a LOT of rice in the curry packs, but it IS there :D

i quite liked the curry. Great smell and taste, reasonable texture.

I always go for porridge, bars and hot meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I do exante.

I like most of the meals although they do get boring! I've just tried the sweet and sour today and have to say I really like it! If you make it too thick just put it back in the microwave for another minute and it should thicken up.

With most of the meals I sieve them first then microwave the soya/beans/whatever for a couple of minutes first then I add the dry powder and microwave for another minute or two. This way you get properly cooked pasta/beans/soya and the sauce isn't ruined. They work far better like this. It's not that much of a faff - I mean if I wasn't on the diet I'd be chopping stuff, frying stuff, stirring stuff etc...

The pasta carbonara is a bit salty but I like it.
The chilli is ok but the kidney beans take a while to cook.
The spag bol is ok.
The shepards pie - I find it impossible to cook the peas without ruining the mash so I just have slightly hard peas. Pity as I really like this one.
Sweet and sour - only had once but nom nom!
Curry - I'm not sure if they've changed this as I don't recall rice last time I had it. It was quite poor and nothing really resembling a curry imo.
Moussaka - was ok but nothing like moussaka.
Turkey dinner - too many herbs but ok.

The eggs and the sausages are a waste of time imo and leave you feeling hungry.
Same with the pancakes.

Raspberry porridge is disgusting! It goes lumpy and doesn't taste very good at all.
The other two porridges are good.

Thanks for the tips on cooking the packs. It's my first full TS day tomorrow so going to try a proper meal as I've been solely shakes so far. It's annoying that some meals can turn out gross, especially as we're not getting a lot to eat! Trial and error I guess, I have the mixed pack so going to try everything this month :)

And, how do you do the carbonara? I follow the directions on the packet and have no problems with the spagbol or chilli but every time the carbonara is so thin it's just like cheese flavoured soup :( horrible! And I love normal carbonara so I wanted to figure out if anyone else has problems with the carbonara one?

Oh and i love all the porridges! Strange how taste can differ! I have a real sweet tooth though so am more than happy having porridge for breakfast, shake for lunch and bar in the evening YUM

Just had my first pizza!! All my house mates were complementing how nice it smells :) Always a good sign and i actually really enjoyed it! It could have done with being a bit crispier, maybe I made it too thick, but I can experiment in future.

I did that too when I tried the pizza. I wasn't overly fond of it but I think if I stretch it out so it's crispier I'll like it more

It was just so watery looking, I didn't quite understand how much it would crisp up and rise. It bonds together well at least :)

Becca - try sieving it and either soaking the pasta for 10+ mins or micromanaging it for a while first until it's cooked then add the powder and just giving it another minute.

Also you say you like all the porridge? How do you get the raspberry one not to curdle?

Oh and I tried the curry and rice tonight, it IS different from the old curry. I wish I'd known I'd have got more!

I'm excited for the curry, I've only heard good things :)

Thanks And, i'll try that... I just don't see how it comes out so different compared to the spagbol! I guess it doesn't have any 'meat' bits in it.

As for the porridge.. I just stir it twice while it microwaves! And I give it a good stir when it's done. Always comes out nice for me :S Maybe you could start off using a bit more water / microwave for less time? Looks like these things take a bit of experimentation... and of course all our microwaves are different blah blah blah :p

Ooh I just wanted to add... I'm so thankful for these forums and you guys on here. I really don't think I'd have gotten past day 1 without all the support and knowing other people doing the same thing! My boyfriend can't even do it with me because he's lactose intolerant and all of the products have lactose in them! Humpf... "oh, shame" he says (Coward! :p)

I wonder if I got a dodgy batch? The other porridges are always yummy.

I wonder if I got a dodgy batch? The other porridges are always yummy.

No idea, but I've noticed they change things don't they? I had something the other day I'd had in the past and it had different instructions. If I remember correctly the porridge i put a little extra water in it and microwave it for 2 minutes and make sure I mix it well 2/3 times during that time.

Oh that's why I love the porridge. It's extremely sweet but then I've got such a sweet tooth. I crave sugar all the time so I find having one of the porridges for breakfast sorts me out :)

Still to try the porridge. Still only one shakes and a pizza so far! X

Stupid phone posted twice!

Last edited:
Had another Sweet and Sour today. Not bad, but after only two in total, I feel I could become sick of them quite easily.

The best shake for me so far is the creamy coconut - superb.

Close seconds are the Cherries & Berries and Blueberry Smoothie ;)

I'm already sick of the Peanut Butter bars after only three in total - luckily I only ordered 20 of them :rolleyes:

The Lemon & Yoghurt bars are by far the best I've tried, but the Double Chocolate ain't bad either.

I'm trying the toffee shake today, hope it's ok!

Back