does anyone know? - frosting/icing

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
i want to make cupcake versions of my big decorated cakes as its easier and cheaper to make when they'r just for practise..

BUT i cannot figure out what i have to do to make my icing pipe on beautifully and stay like it does on the cakes you buy? when iv googled it im just getting american sites talking about 'frosting' but i just assumed it was a thicker version of buttercream, now i dunno whether my house is too warm but my icing just isnt thick enough for piping.

iv bought mini muffin cases and mini cutters so i can make my mini cakes for 2syns each and take them to sw for my group wed.. but i cannot get any information to help me prepare!

anyone know? x

i want my icing to look like this :

cupcakes.jpg

I did a similar thing and used Betty Crocker frosting - you can get it in the baking section of most supermarkets. Held up beautifully, it's white and you just add your colouring.

I have seen a recipe for cream cheese frosting:
11oz/300g cream cheese
2oz/60g butter at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
12oz/340g icing sugar

I daren't think how many syns there are in that!!

If you look just below the search box in Google you will see that it says

Search o the web o pages from the UK

If you click with your mouse in the little circle before it says "pages from the UK", then click on search, you will avoid most of those American sites.

If you put cupcakes recipe in the Google search box and click in the pages from the UK circle, you will see loads of UK results.

Fern, I am just about to run out of the door for SW but that sort of frosting will not be low syns.

I use a recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery and it is delicious but high syns.
Try googling it otherwise I will type it up when I get back from class.

Sorry I dont have time to do it now!!!

(It is super yummy though...)

Hi Fern, I am not a professional baker, but frosting is just the American word for our buttercream, as far as I know. For your icing to stand up stiffly to pipe, you would need to use more icing sugar in the mix, or less butter. Do you use a drop of milk too? If so, try dropping that. Hard work to mix it, but will def be stiff enough to pipe. Good luck, they sound Yummy!

I always use the tub's of Betty Crocker frosting, it is just thick enough for cup cakes and is really delicious too.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough frosting for about 2 dozen cupcakes

1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temperature
6-8 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

1. In an electric mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment or if you don't have an electric mixing bowl use a large bowl and an electric mixer, mix the butter until smooth and creamy (a few minutes).
2. Add 4 cups of the sugar, the milk and vanilla and on low speed mix until combined.
3.Add two more cups of sugar and on low speed mix until light and fluffy. If you need to, add the remaining two cups of powdered sugar.

Tips: When mixing together the buttercream frosting ingredients, be aware that powdered sugar is very light and will get into the air. You will know this is happening because when you breathe in you will feel and taste a sweetness in your breath. To avoid this, place a clean dish towel over the mixing bowl.

There 'ya go! Buttercream frosting made perfect for your cupcakes.

Buttercream frosting comes in a lot of different flavors, the most common is vanilla, which I have given you the frosting recipe for. It's also often seen in chocolate buttercream and occasionally in other flavors such as almond or peppermint. To get almond or peppermint buttercream frosting, simply replace the vanilla extract with almond or peppermint extract and alter according to your taste.

Mmmmmmmm if only they were syn free... *drool* xx

Haha.. well im making mini ones tonight for about 2 syns (i hope haha)

thanks guys! must get myself to shop and get proper unsalted butter

yeah you just need to thicken up your butter cream. You need block butter (as in not the stuff in tubs as the tub stuff has been broken down and has water added) and more icing sugar, just keep adding icing sugar untill its thick enough.

Side note though its REALLY hard to get your swirls like that, you need the right tip & practice, practice, practice!!

I suggest maybe you tubing it and see if any tuts are on there :D

Back