Does excersise slow weightloss??

Bumping this for someone on another thread.

Oh gosh, what a lot of mixed messages on this thread.

Doing too much cardio whilst on a VLCD, can burn excess lean mass and reduce your metabolic rate. A lot depends on how much you are taking in, and how much you need to lose. Have lots of fat to get rid of and it wont be quite so much of a problem.

Resistance is fine and gentle exercise is good too, but keep the heavy stuff for when you go up the plans and are taking in more.

So, if I have 7 stone to lose to get to bmi of 24 say, I am ok to do walking, abit of wii fit aerobic section and bits like that. Rather than big gym sessions.

I plan to do WW after I get to 2 stone to go, so I guess then I will be good to go for it more. I have a two week holiday end of Sep and I should have lost the 5 stone nearly by then and I didn't want to start SS after or lose the last 2 stone on the plans as I have done them before and honestly they are boring.
Brilliant post. Thanks.

So, if I have 7 stone to lose to get to bmi of 24 say, I am ok to do walking, abit of wii fit aerobic section and bits like that. Rather than big gym sessions.

That would be okay I would think.

I plan to do WW after I get to 2 stone to go,
:eek:

I will be good to go for it more.
Yes, should be okay. Though like with the higher plans on CD, you might not get results on the scales, but for good health and all that.

Exercise is important, especially in maintenance. I waited until I was on a higher plan before I started going to the gym. For me, there was no particular rush as I had another x amount of years I would need to do it for. I could wait a few weeks :D

lose the last 2 stone on the plans as I have done them before and honestly they are boring.
Shame you feel that way. They were more boring in my day before they changed them :D Personal choice and all that. I couldn't take the risk of messing up, but obviously you need to do what you need to do.

Remember resistance is good at any level and will help raise your metabolic rate throughout the day, not just while you are exercising and a little time after, and you burn cals doing resistance too :)

Ah Thanks KD, please don't be to shocked at my plan :hide: I didn't mean to swear... saying another diet word.

But I've been doing the CD since 2006, I lost 7 stone, put back on 7 and half..... I'm stick to the back teeth of the CD... But holiday in Sep and need to shift some quick... after that I have 3 months to lose what I put on on hoilday :cool: and another stone and a half before my hubby whisks me off some where hot and exotic :serenade:for our 10th Wedding Anniversary, :0chacha:so I think a step to the norm will be better for me.

It has taken me about 5 months to make 6 days on the diet... I don't want to face that again when I come back and the plans are just not easy on the higher levels and frankly not that nice. Some other diets have great menu plans, more choice etc. (WW)...... (I said it quick, I promise :D)

If I say it quick you have messaged me before, but never wanted to own up to putting with weight on before, as you said to me once that you didn't think I would put it on.... but I did :cry:...... I used to be a happy Rabbit... on the pink site...

Any way... thanks again KD.. fingers crossed bikini here we come.

KD a question about exercise as I'm still confused.

Is it okay to do walking/hiking on the tread mill? when on SS+/810 and
what about swimming?I'm going to be moving up to 1000 soon

Ah Thanks KD, please don't be to shocked at my plan :hide: I didn't mean to swear... saying another diet word.

LOL. You know, whenever I get a new client at the door, I'm always tempted to say

"Hiya....Slimming World in the room ahead, Weight watchers to the right, Cambridge on the left, but give me a moment to clear the Slimfast stuff away..oh and Avon in the garage". Don't know why...something to do with being a rebel I think :D
(WW)...... (I said it quick, I promise :D)

:copon: Still heard it :D

If I say it quick you have messaged me before, but never wanted to own up to putting with weight on before, as you said to me once that you didn't think I would put it on.... but I did :cry:...... I used to be a happy Rabbit... on the pink site...

Ahh, my little bunny. So I was wrong (for the time being anyway ;)), but then I assumed you wouldn't hop off down into your bunnyhole where I couldn't see you.

Ack Rabbit. How dare you try to prove me wrong :copon: (slaps again). But hey, you're still working on it...

You've owned up now, so tough...I'm watching you ;)

KD a question about exercise as I'm still confused.

Is it okay to do walking/hiking on the tread mill? when on SS+/810 and
what about swimming?I'm going to be moving up to 1000 soon

I can't be sure because there's many variables. Swimming sounds fine as long as you aren't training for the next Olympics. Walking is good too, but just don't go mad. There's plenty of time to do all this.

My concern is mainly with people who are going flat out whilst on SS, especially if they are expecting the scales to reflect their hard work.

Some exercise is good for the soul, and a start to healthy habits.

I have been avoiding all social events like the plague! I am almost a recluse now! I was planning on starting back at gym next week though as I feel more supple but I know I haven't energy just now so I thought just some toning exercises and an easy swim. It'll get me out! x

I don't think exercise slows down weight loss, it certainly hasn't for me! I've lost 3 stone in 2 months. I've done loads of exercise throughout the enitre time I've been on cambridge and it's never slowed me down.
The exercise I do is -
Play hockey. In quite a high league so lots of running about
Play cricket
Play camogie (irish sport)
I have a personal trainer twice a week. We go to the park during my lunch hour at work and do loads of cardio and full body toning.
Go to spinning classes at the gym
Go running a couple of times a week.
Also sometimes I cycle to either hockey or camogie training which is about 5 miles.

Wow, that is a lot of excersise! I didn't have the energy to do one aerobic class last week :D, how do yo manage? Are you on ss?

Ive joined up for toning tables not used them in years and they were fun and use the Wii for my arms i have a great Samba games where you can shakes your hips and play the maracas to up beat music and play against the computer.

Welcome to minimins Kiwi :wavey:

I don't think exercise slows down weight loss,

And of course, you are entitled to your opinion, just like the researchers are entitled to theirs :D
it certainly hasn't for me! I've lost 3 stone in 2 months.

Well done :clap: That's exactly the amount I lost without a load of exercise, so maybe you might have lost more...maybe not. Depends on a number of variables...how much you have to lose etc.

Also, just say that you have lost lean mass during this time as research suggests could happen (especially closer to goal), would you know?

People say that they have built muscle...muscles bulging everywhere ;) when that's almost impossible on any weight loss diet. What's happened is that they can actually see it once some of the fat has gone.

LOL. You know, whenever I get a new client at the door, I'm always tempted to say

"Hiya....Slimming World in the room ahead, Weight watchers to the right, Cambridge on the left, but give me a moment to clear the Slimfast stuff away..oh and Avon in the garage". Don't know why...something to do with being a rebel I think :D

:copon: Still heard it :D

Ahh, my little bunny. So I was wrong (for the time being anyway ;)), but then I assumed you wouldn't hop off down into your bunnyhole where I couldn't see you.

Ack Rabbit. How dare you try to prove me wrong :copon: (slaps again). But hey, you're still working on it...

You've owned up now, so tough...I'm watching you ;)

Thanks KD :grouphugg:

Hi Kiwi and welcome to the forum.
I seriously do not know how you have the energy to do that if you're doing any of the programmes up to about 1000. You must burn that in calories.
It's obviously working for you, in that you're able to do it and happy. I am curious though why you are doing Cambridge, because you could do a less restrictive diet of say 1500 cals and I would have thought lose similar amounts.
You sound like you should be on the Biggest Loser!!! :D

I prefer, and what works for me, when I have any energy, is a bit of yoga or pilates, some arm weights to tone and a walk with the dog twice a day.

I wish I had the energy to do more because I would love to get fit (that is my main goal). However, I believe the information posted by KD and am listening to my body. It doesn't want to do it believe me! Plus there is so much time as you work up the levels.

I don't think exercise slows down weight loss, it certainly hasn't for me! I've lost 3 stone in 2 months. I've done loads of exercise throughout the enitre time I've been on cambridge and it's never slowed me down.
The exercise I do is -
Play hockey. In quite a high league so lots of running about
Play cricket
Play camogie (irish sport)
I have a personal trainer twice a week. We go to the park during my lunch hour at work and do loads of cardio and full body toning.
Go to spinning classes at the gym
Go running a couple of times a week.
Also sometimes I cycle to either hockey or camogie training which is about 5 miles.

Hi,I do a 2 to 3 mile walk on the treadmill each day at 3 miles per hour, and also spend half an hour on gentle swimming some days - do you think this is too much exercise?

Back