Does it matter what foods I eat...

laurenmay

Gold Member
...so long as I track the calories I'm eating?

I don't mean that I wanna consume 1500 calories a day worth of takeaway and junk food. But I'm not a fruit or veg fan, and just can't cut the whole clean eating thing even though I wish I could.

I've ordered my food shopping, and it consists of things like asda reduced calorie frozen ready meals, mild cheddar cheese sticks, bananas, apples, low fat custard pots, freddos, ham, reduced fat garlic chicken kievs and pancakes, breakfast waffles & cereals.

I know those things contain carbs, and that ready meals contain a lot of sodium & a lot of that list is processed. But they are the foods I enjoy. I do eat some fruit & veg, veggies mainly in the form of birds eye steamed veg bags.. and I eat a lot of protein like an omelette with 2 whole eggs then 4 egg whites & low fat grated cheddar etc.

So as long as I stick within my calorie allowance & drink plenty of water, then are the foods I've listed really gonna hinder my weight loss that much?

If anyone thinks I may not lose weight at a steady speed by eating those things then please tell me. I'm just worried that I can't eat things like that on a diet & I won't lose weight.. but I've tried clean whole eating and can't bare it. So isn't it better to eat things I enjoy, but only 1500 calories worth, rather than give up and binge?

You need to be enjoying what you're eating otherwise you will give up. As long as you are within your calorie range, you are eating a good range of macronutrients (carbs, protein, fat) then you should see results. Obviously if you don't see any changes then you might want to think about adjusting your diet.

If it helps, I'm not a fan of fruit and veg ( I try and have some with tea though), and eat basically what I like as long as its within calorie range and I have lost nearly 7lbs over 5 weeks, but that is with Xmas and some really really bad days. I've only just started exercising too.

I'm sure I'd loose more if I are more veg etc but I'm happy at the moment and losing steadily.xx

So isn't it better to eat things I enjoy, but only 1500 calories worth, rather than give up and binge?

Definitely! Eat what you are comfortable with, from your post above you clearly know the downsides of the processed food (high sodium other nasties etc) but its early days and having a few ready meals will not scupper your losses- especially early on. Some of the things you listed are better than others though, the steam bag veggies for instance are fab as are omelettes, bananas and apples - that meals contitutes "clean eating" as far as I'm concerned and you like it already! For example having a calorie controlled weighed portion of low sugar/high fibre cereal with chopped up banana on top for breakfast and an omelette and steamed veg pack for dinner/lunch is a great approach:D

Other than the obvious downfalls you have already pointed out about the high sodium processed stuff, another thing is that they usually don't contain enough protein/fibre to keep you satisfied for very long and lead to blood sugar spikes - having an apple as a snack will def help if you are feeling peckish. Glad to see you are so fired up for success :D Good luck!!

i have to agree with all above, calcounting is very flexible theres no foods u cant have! i dont eat loads of fruit and veg but i looove salad! i do find i feel better after a couple of plums or satsumas than a choco biscuit tho.xxx

Thanks everyone! Feel much better and more relaxed now :) I've got some physillium husk fibre tablets to help boost my fibre levels, and got plenty of diet whey protein shakes here too on days I need a bit more protein :)

Sounds absolutely fine to me, hon. I live on carb-laden ready meals (Tesco Light Choices, various potato topped things), which I also eat quite late at night! I have gradually introduced healthier stuff, like I'll add a pack of frozen veg to all my meals and now eat more fruit and nuts, but I changed things very gradually - what others have said about needing to be happy with what you're eating is spot on; eating "clean" can follow on when you've started to lose weight. xx

Yeah your food sounds spot on. I buy the healthy micro meals too & a portion of veg with them. But I only eat them if the rest of the house is eating something unhealthy like pizza, that I cant have myself.

Thinking back to my past calorie counting, I'm sure I was counting the fat content too? But I cant for the life of me remember how much your allowed in a day or anything. I had days I ate very unhealthy things like cheeseburgers, chinese ect, and because I kept them within my allowance, I always lost weight.

xxxxxxxx

Thanks to everyone that's replied. That's taken a huge weight off my shoulders knowing I can eat the things I like within my allowance. It's so nice having two pancakes with flora lighter than light & a cup of coffee for breakfast - and not feeling guilty about it! xx

laurenmay said:
Thanks to everyone that's replied. That's taken a huge weight off my shoulders knowing I can eat the things I like within my allowance. It's so nice having two pancakes with flora lighter than light & a cup of coffee for breakfast - and not feeling guilty about it! xx

Hear hear. :) I've built a few biscuits into my food plan today, as an evening coffee snack. I'm upping my cals by a couple of hundred for a while, to my BMR of 1600, just to see how I get on. xx

Back