does this actually work?

munchievictim

Well hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I'm an ex-weightwatcher turned slimming world. My weightloss basically came to a halt on weightwatchers (lost a total of 22lbs). It just stopped! So I decided to join SW cos I'd heard a lot of great stories about it. I've done 2 weeks so far, 2 weighins. lost 1.5 on 1st week (doing Extra easy), and only 1 on 2nd week (doing mixture of green & original). Gutted with the 1lb loss on 2nd week because I followed the plan to a T. Didn't use 1 syn. What's going on there? I didn't even use all my HE's every day! How come so many other people lose a good bit on their first couple of weeks and I didn't?

I'm still sceptical about losing weight while eating so much....

you NEED to use ALL your hex's and around at least 10syns a day i would say hunni, i know it sounds daft but you prob need to eat more.

good luck.xx

Yes honey I agree with Susan - your HEX's are there for a reason, you must have them. Also you need to use some syns too... we got told this on our 1st meeting, otherwise it can really slow down or stop weight loss x

There are a couple of reasons why you might not have lost as much as others, firstly for a lot of people before they start a diet they eat all the "naughty" food they can get and therefore the first weeks loss is bound to be big, whereas you have come from a low calorie diet so you cant expect such dramatic results.

Secondly - strange as it sounds - you may not be eating enough! If your body feels that food is in short supply it tries to keep hold of your fat reserves as a survival instinct and so your metabolism reduces and you feel tired and lethargic. If you eat all your healthy extra's and plenty of free food and some of your syns your metabolism will increase, you will feel far more energetic and you will start burning the calories.

Finally I don't think that your losses are bad at all - in fact 1-2 lb per week is healthy loss - any more than that and you are likely to just pile it all back on later.

Best Wishes!

Yes, I agree.
Do you have your food diary to hand? Post it up and let us have a look.

I did WW many years ago, but was always hungry. I suspect that you're not eating enough on SW. It's odd but the more you eat on SW the better your weight losses often are.
If you are doing Original or Green days then you MUST have 2 of the healthy extra b choices a day and 1 of the a choices. Also, try and have syns...(They really shouldn't call them 'syns' as we just start to think they're *sins* which equals a bad thing - but they're there to help, so that we can have some choccy or whatever, if you want to).
If you're doing an Extra Easy day, then you can only have ONE healthy extra a and b a day, as many of the usual choices are now free foods.

I promise, though, it does work....you just need to follow the plan!

yeah, I'm probably not eating enough. I still can't get my head around the "eat to lose weight" thing...

(I'm ever the sceptic aren't I?!)

Thats most proberly why your not losting as you need to have your A and B
Also at least 10 syns a day.

Follow the plan, eat what you should and that includes both B's, one or two A's and 10-15 syns.

If you do what it says on the tin then you will lose weight!! It does work, I promise you that but you need to follow the plan properly to ensure you get the right variation of foods, eg calcium, fibre, free food.
Make sure you are NEVER hungry too and enjoy those "treats" whether you use them for meals, chocolate or alcohol. They are there to be used.

Good luck, stick with it and it will work - a pound a week is great though!!

If you include plenty of superfree and speed foods but make sure you have all your syns I am sure you will see a difference.

It IS difficult to get one's head round this 'eat more, lose weight' idea...we're conditioned to think that a 'diet' means we have to eat less and deprive ourselves for things, but unless you go mental (like I did last week!) you will lose if you relax a little and follow the plan.
Trust it...and see what happens!

As everyone else has said you may not be eating enough. I've noticed the weeks I lose the most is when I eat, eat and eat some more... but it is all the right stuff!

If you want to increase your weight loss try and eat some Super Speed or Speed foods. Also eating meals that mainly consist of free foods with some syns to flavour (gravy, extra light mayo, sauce etc) is a really good way of making the most out of a meal.

I just had to trawl through about 15 pages to find this but I think it really highlights a valid point...

As posted by Jaxmummy on the team thread:

Only One Pound

Hello, do you know me?

If you don't, you should. I'm a pound of fat,

and I'm the HAPPIEST pound of fat that you would ever want to meet.

Want to know why?

It's because no one ever wants to lose me;

I'm ONLY ONE POUND, just a pound!

Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds, or fifteen pounds,

But never only one.

So I just stick around and happily keep you fat.

Then I add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice it.

That is, until I've grown to ten, twenty, thirty or even more pounds in weight.

Yes, its fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT, left to do as I please.

So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying, "Oh, I only lost one pound."

(As if that were such a terrible thing.)

For you see, if you do this, you'll encourage others to keep me around because they'll think I'm not worth losing.

And, I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you.

Happy Days!!!

After all, I'm ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

I didn't believe it at first either that I could as much as I wanted but I ate a ton of pasta and chicken plus bachelors rice and pasta. I lost 6 pounds my fist week and a sneaky peek at the scales 2 pounds so far this one. Check that you are eating enough (deff eat the hex b as well you know fibre always helps!!)
But also do not forget that you have lost 22 pounds already and sometimes are bodies adjust to our intake, maybe try upping the exericse if the eating more healthy free foods does not help?

<snip> ..because I followed the plan to a T. Didn't use 1 syn. What's going on there? I didn't even use all my HE's every day!

It has been said before, but this isn't following the Slimming World plan.

For the weight loss to work at its best, you will use your allocation of syns, and hav the correct Healthy Extras.

All that said, you got to a plateau with WW, and have changed to SW and have lost 2.5lb in 2 weeks - that is fantastic! If you make these changes, you should see a steady weight loss until target - but try not to be in such a hurry, slimming world is far more a diet plan that you can keep to long term, not a quick fix that gets it all off only for you then pile it back on again.

I agree with everyone else - you do need to eat to lose on SW - I know when I was ill one week I missed some meals, didn't have all my HEX's etc & I put on that week, the weeks I eat properly I lose properly and a pound off is still a pound off - it is better off than on I say

aw, thanks everyone! I'm going to munch my way to losing a few more pounds! (munch on the right things of course!)

Ta x

Good luck with SW, you've done the right thing. I used to be a WWer, did the diet for 5 years but can honestly, hand on heart say the SW plan is the best thing ever. No counting points or going hungry.

Stick with it, use all your HE's and syns when you can and you will see the weight come off.

Back