Does this diet always work?

broxi

ButtErFly
if you guys have done this before you should know. Every diet i do, works for about a stone then i stop losing even although I don't cheat. it's as though my body gets used to it. As this diet is so difficult, does anybody know if this hapens cos I couldn't bear it? :wave_cry:

there is no way that u cant loose weight on a vlcd if you stick to it 100%, it works on the basis of that ur body needs 2000 calories a day, and ur only having 500 calories, so ur body uses 1500 worth of calories from your fat stores.

I dont no if they are the actual figures, but thats how it works

xxx

Hi Broxi

On every type of diet I ever did (and that's since 1991 so a heck of a lot!) I would stall completely after losing 1.5 - 2 stone if I ever made it that far.

I therefore had exactly the same worries as you prior to starting CD but was so desperate I thought I'd give it a go anyway...lost a steady 3lb a week all the way through and only slowed when I moved up the maintenance steps - still continued losing though.

You can do it :)

Yep because of the low calorie intake if you stick with it 100% you WILL loose weight, good luck you can do it!!!!:)

Thanks so much for encouragement, especially Serena cos that's exactly what's happened to me. To know this diet can't do that is brilliant. And you look so totally stunning! I must admit I've been starting to wilt as not lost for about 4 days and only on week 2 and much as i could plod along not losing on other diets for a few months, I couldn't on this. So you've convinced me it will come off! Thanks x

Hi Broxi, as Serena has already said, it will come off and it has certainly retrained my mind in matters of food issues. Yes, I sometimes still want to binge but I like my figure too much now to let myself do any serious harm. I reached my target of 8.7 on 810 and then went straight onto healthy eating and today im 7.13. You can do it, just stick with it chick! xx

Really weird. I forgot I had posted this thread a few weeks ago and was just about to do this again when I saw this. I'm feeling the same worries. Lost stone and a half now but not lost all week and terrified it happens again -my diet stops working for me. SW said it was my fault diet wasn't working even although I stuck to it for 100% for months. I know I have not cheated in any way on CD.

hi Broxi, I can totally relate to your worries. I did the same over the last 10yrs, all the other diets would just not work for me then i'd get sick of no losses and then drop it and end up back where i was. I had absolutely no faith in CD working for me and even as the weight kept dropping each week I was cynical and my head kept saying to me ...'yeah, yeah we'll see how this pans out! ...'i'm just different to other people' ...etc etc, until i got very near to my goal and then I finally had to accept that by god it does work and it seemed it was just me and my 'stickability' on other diets all along. Not saying this is the same in your case mind either but i had to accept eventually that I was in quite a bit of denial as to how 'well' i actually was following other diets to the letter.
CD has been the best thing that has happened to me diet wise as now i understand so much more about nutrition and then becoming a CDC i have been able to help lots of others too.

oooh bit rambly there but I hope this helps with your worries a little.

xx

No Lelly, that is exactly what I need to hear. I'm just paranoid about it not working. I do honestly know that I stick to other diets though but maybe my portion sizes could be too big on free foods. Anyway as long as I know this wont stop working I know I can continue. It's just the de-motivation of thinking it has stopped working. Thanks for help x

It won't stop working because you are only eating enough to support a small mouse! I had an untreated thyroid condition when I was on it (so I lost slower) but I still lost 4 1/2 stone in 6 months. If you keep going and stick to it you WILL lose. Promise.

Great stuff, thanks everyone for answers- I'm just paranoid and can't believe my dream of being thin can now become a reality! xxx

I know it's been a while since you posted this and I DO hope you know this is written with the best of intentions and that it's pure tough love and not nastiness but....

I've been reading the threads you are posting broxi, I understand how you feel, where you're coming from and what your history with diets is. You can change the vicious circle, CD is your chance to do so. As someone on another thread said, maybe you can do low cal or anything other to maintain once you're a goal but realistically, what you should doubt is not the diet or the method but your ability to make a decision and stick with it. It's commitment or your reluctance to put your heart and soul into this to the very end that stands between you and being thin not the diet. If only you'd make that decision, really really make that decision and then keep repeating the mantra of "I must get to goal and stay there this time, I will not question it, have doubts, wonder about changing gears, freak out about stalls or convince myself I'll die if I persevere. I will just do it this time." you'd be at goal in August or September!

I do not mean to be nasty with this, please believe me, I am just hoping that even if you get upset you'll consider it and give this commitment very serious thought. You'll need a hefty dose of it after goal too!

Good luck hon!

I know it's been a while since you posted this and I DO hope you know this is written with the best of intentions and that it's pure tough love and not nastiness but....

I've been reading the threads you are posting broxi, I understand how you feel, where you're coming from and what your history with diets is. You can change the vicious circle, CD is your chance to do so. As someone on another thread said, maybe you can do low cal or anything other to maintain once you're a goal but realistically, what you should doubt is not the diet or the method but your ability to make a decision and stick with it. It's commitment or your reluctance to put your heart and soul into this to the very end that stands between you and being thin not the diet. If only you'd make that decision, really really make that decision and then keep repeating the mantra of "I must get to goal and stay there this time, I will not question it, have doubts, wonder about changing gears, freak out about stalls or convince myself I'll die if I persevere. I will just do it this time." you'd be at goal in August or September!

I do not mean to be nasty with this, please believe me, I am just hoping that even if you get upset you'll consider it and give this commitment very serious thought. You'll need a hefty dose of it after goal too!

Good luck hon!

Even though this was not meant for me, I am going to take it to heart. Thanks so much.

I must admit, I know you mean well Miss Ama but I do feel a bit offended because I DO stick to my diets and commit to them for months. I can't help it if weight doesn't come off. I'd like to see you commit to a diet and the scales wouldn't shift. I did Atkins for a year with 6 months of no movement on scales. SW I did and lost 1 stone and half and then 6 months of sticking to diet and nothing and it's not like I'm anywhere near where I should be. That's a typical response frompeople right enough, they think I've done something wrong on diet. Well on CD you cant'wven cheat on portion size or anything! so I know I am sticking to it even if no one else believes me.

Okay well I will apologize again, it was really not my intention to hurt you and if I made it sound like I think you are cheating then it was simply misspoken. I know you keep to them and I am sure you have the ambition level necessary to stick through losses. It's not that I don't believe you!

I may have not understood the length of your frustration, I was simply reacting to your posts in the past few days that indicated to me that you're about to quit CD which, IMO, would have been a legit response but maybe not the best path.

This is not a matter of public forum, you don't have to prove anything to anyone, if you've done this serious soul searching and you know you are 110% committed to it, you will stay on CD, reach your goal (in a less frustrating fashion, there is no such thing as a 6 months stall on CD) and put the uncertainty behind you.

You were not sure it works, you were doubting it despite knowing the science behind it so you were choosing to ignore those facts and letting your mind be overrun with the old time fears but it seems like you jumped that hurdle now and good for you! You now sound like you know you have it and you know you'll stick to it and that's all that you need! If I didn't think you had the determination it takes to do this or if I didn't honestly want you to succeed I would have never spent time typing this.

Thanks MissAma for that. I just get hurt because everybody always doubts that I stick to diets even my doctor. I want more than anything for CD to work and I know I will stick to it if it does. I just think there might be something wrong with me physically when weight loss stops for me. The scales haven't moved for me for about 10 days for no reason and that's why I'm worried because of what happens in past on other diets. I do stick to them it's when I get fed up not losing after months that I start eating way too much again. The big problem is I don't know how long I could hold out on CD without losing as it is so hard.
Anyway, I'm touchy about this and I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to me xxx

Not putting down any other diet, but I do think that it's possible not to lose weight on some of them...even sticking to their 'rules'.

Atkins. I lost some. Loved the food. Ate too much of it.

SW. Lost loads on that. Didn't eat enough of the free foods..lost for a while magnificantly :clap: Then upped the free foods and had a 12 week stall. I did then have a woosh, but when the STS happened again, I couldn't stand it!

WW. Again, lost some, put on some. Followed the rules, but ate too much free food. Also found that sometimes points made no sense to me as I could be way over points on healthy foods yet have relatively few calories for that day. That bothered me.

In the end I decided that I just couldn't have a diet with free foods. I needed to go by calories, because at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Just my experience with those diets. Sure they work for many...only have to look how others are doing.

CD goes by calories and being a VLCD it has to work. Even with a drop in metabolism, there is no way that it would go under what I could have on a VLCD.

That doesn't mean to say that the scales will always reflect the fat loss, because we woman have so many hormonal issues, but I did know that I would definitely lose fat if I stuck to the diet. It's just not possible not to.

Bit like saying "can I drive from the south of England to the north without petrol"

For me, I was out of excuses for dropping the diet. Excuses being really good reasons BTW, but easy to use them if you want to jump ship.

It was now just up to me. Just down to whether I could 'hack' the diet.

Hi KD, that's amazing. I suppose that's what I've been needing to hear that other diets can fail you even although I've stuck to them but CD can't. So I will stick to it. It's actually got much easier for me recently just this not losing was bothering me. I believe you when you explain that about the car thing. I suppose my body would have to lose scientifically. Thank you so much, you've completely understood how I felt. It's not enough to say I just need to think positively as there does need to be scientific reasons too. So thank you, that has made me feel so much better. I'll see how I get on next week xxx

BTW the only reasons I would look at other diets would be to maintain once I get where I want to be.

Good O Broxi :clap:

I remember going to my doctors just before I started CD. I had told her that I couldn't lose weight. That I didn't eat as much as others and I gained. She said (very wisely) something about not being 'others'. That I had to eat the amount of calories I needed to lose...not what others needed to lose.

It really inspired me, because I felt she wasn't judging me and assuming I was cheating.

Anyway...another story.

About that time, I read from someone I trusted, that in all the research that has been done, and everyone tested that hasn't got a serious disorder that would show up with other problems...not one hasn't lost weight on reduced calories.

Not one :eek:

As long as the 'subjects' food was strictly controlled, they all lost it. Of course, that's calorie reduction, not points/syns

I remember thinking "Damn!!!!" :D :D

Back