Does weight loss start with the mind ?

katsmad64

Has anyone tried any mind program techniques to help them lose weight ? I've always felt that if your not in the right state of mind whatever diet you are following it can be hard work to keep motivated . I am trying to get 3 stone off & am lossing but very slowly which I know is good but when It's slow sometimes I lose my motivation. Anyone else feel the same ? Enjoying this forum lots of fab information x

Weight loss (in my opinion) cannot be physical alone. It has to be emotional. Unless you deal with WHY you overeat then you will just put the weight back on again.

I totally agree one needs to deal with the mind first. I've dieted for 25 years. Losing and putting it on like a yoyo I am now using slimpods which are cognitive hypnotherapy and wordweaving. I have found that these have changed years and years of ingrained bad eating habits :)

I used to binge, secret eat etc etc, I no longer do either :) x

Well I tend to find the best way to get my mind in the zone is by visualisation. I either make it structured and relax and close my eyes and maybe mediate a little and then think through scenarios in the future but with me being thing and I try to think of all the compliments and what I am going to wear and what hubby will say etc. I work through summer holidays, bonfire night, Christmas parties, new spring clothes, anything that makes me motivated. Sometimes I just try to make these thoughts pop up so I regularly think them and so they are at the forefront of my mind when I want to eat something that isn't planned.

Yes you need to get your mind in the right place before you diet. You need to prepare for your diet by taking away tempting foods from the house too. Educating yourself about nutrition also helps. If you google 'chunky piranha' you'll find a site that offers a free weight loss guide which has been based around scientific research. it also has a small section to help you to prepare for your diet. :)

I think working on the mind and getting into the right mind set is key when trying to lose weight, for me its the difference between being able to stick on a healthy eating plan and not being able to. I am undergoing intensive dialectical behaviour therapy for my eating disorder and its always about re-training the mind, being more mindful, being kinder to yourself, learning new ways to tolerate distress other than using food or lack of it and its working wonders for me. I have always been all or nothing, have always lived in the extremes of starvation or binges and so for me this is helping to correct my disordered belief system which has been a result of my eating disorder, its focus is on me doing the middle path, moderation something that for someone with an eating disorder who loves extremes is very difficult to do, I have to do the regular healthy eating with planned in treats as part of my recovery program and its working but its a battle each day but I know for sure its working on the mind which is making this recovery program work for me, removing the control food has always had over me, its such hard work but well worth it. Its crazy just how much our chance of success or failure on anything has to do with our current mind set and how we deal with things, for me its learning what else I can do when stressed, upset, angry, happy even other than using food, its amazing the power food has had over me and now I am regaining control a bit at a time. Em

Oh yes. If your mind is not there It won't happen. My brain and mind is my biggest enemy. I think I can't when I actually can! It's playing all sorts of tricks! :D I've been listening Slimpod for a while and that plus positive thinking I think it works! Anything works anyway when you put your mind to it.

Back