Don't be afraid of your syns!

stivesliz

Gold Member
Something I've been noticing on here and certainly at the new class I have joined is that people are afraid of using their syns and are dismissing some really tasty recipes just because it may have 3 or 4 syns a portion.

I know it's been said before, but syns are an important part of the plan and like or not, some recipes do taste better with a little something here or there which will maybe tot up a couple of syns along the way.

I had 2 small jacket potatoes with tuna for lunch yesterday and out of interest decided to leave one mayo free to see if it was worth saving syns on and I have to say it was as dry as a bone lol.

And I'm sure we've all had weeks where we think we're going to have a great loss because we've kept them down and dont.

Ewww Liz, mayo!!!! Work of the devil, heaving just reading the word! But I know what you mean about syns. It is so tempting to think well I need to get a good loss this week so wont have any syns! Oh Oh noooooooooooo ,they are part of the plan and are there to be enjoyed. Now, wheres the corkscrew - I know its only half past 10 in the morning ha ha

Ewww Liz, mayo!!!! Work of the devil, heaving just reading the word! But I know what you mean about syns. It is so tempting to think well I need to get a good loss this week so wont have any syns! Oh Oh noooooooooooo ,they are part of the plan and are there to be enjoyed. Now, wheres the corkscrew - I know its only half past 10 in the morning ha ha

Well my syns today will be of the liquid variety too lol.

That's so true- my best week was when I used an average of 13 Syns a day (on chocolate!) and lost 4lbs!!

I agree so much! After falling off the wagon over Christmas and new year i had a 100% week last week and used 101 syns over the week so that is almost the full 15 every day and i lost 6lbs. I find my losses are low on weeks i reduce my syns.

I think people dont quite get that you are allowed some naughty stuff too and as much as SW is fantastic in that there is tons of free stuff a dollop of mayo and a spoon of gravy and a glass of wine is needed sometimes.

I love cooking and fiddling around in the kitchen and often adapt recipes so they are SW friendly but friends will turn their nose up when I say ''oh there's 8 syns in the whole thing'' when really if it's being divided between 3 or 4 of you and tastes good I can't see the problem x

I need my syns so I can do this otherwise I feel deprived + then feel like on a diet rather than healthy eating balanced plan/way of life.

I love my syns, if I didn't use them I would only end up bingeing x

I have to agree, I don't loose when I don't have them and hate it when I see people saying they didn't loose but they had no syns at all... its like NOOOO that's where your going wrong

I've said this before but I really think that 'syns' is a terrible name that SW should have thought more about before using (I know it used to be even worse when syns were actually sins!). I know it is supposed to be short for synergy but it is loaded with negative connotations and I believe the name itself puts people off using their syn allowance.

Syns should not be seen as naughty, they are part of the plan, just like free food and HEXs, and should be used as needed. I hate seeing people use the term 'synful' as well. Apart from not being a real word it just serves to enforce the negative association between syns and something naughty that you shouldn't have on a 'diet'.

I get dead ranty about this at group lol as you can probably tell! ;)

I've said this before but I really think that 'syns' is a terrible name that SW should have thought more about before using (I know it used to be even worse when syns were actually sins!). I know it is supposed to be short for synergy but it is loaded with negative connotations and I believe the name itself puts people off using their syn allowance.

Syns should not be seen as naughty, they are part of the plan, just like free food and HEXs, and should be used as needed. I hate seeing people use the term 'synful' as well. Apart from not being a real word it just serves to enforce the negative association between syns and something naughty that you shouldn't have on a 'diet'.

What should they be called? Just out of interest and for research purposes!

we came across this in group this morning, I'm a fan of using my syns but know other people think that they're a bad thing,

for me they're part of the plan as much as healthy extras and superfree/free foods.

LOL: I love love love a good rant

Being able to have a bit of chocolate every day was y I chose to join SW rather than anything else. I'm already planning how many Ferrero Rochers I can have after dinner tonight :)

What should they be called? Just out of interest and for research purposes!

I'd honestly be happy if they were just called points (me and husband refer to them as points at home as he doesn't like the name either) but I can see the reasoning behind having a snappy name for marketing purposes. Something more neutral maybe?

I know that SW will have put a lot of time and research into the names they have chosen for parts of the plan, it just bothers me when I hear people at group saying that using syns is bad and that they failed on a given day because they used 5 syns... :/

I've also read on here in quite a few threads & seen it in the SW magazine to have up to 10 Syns per day.......surely its 5-15 per day!? Are SW pushing 10 per day like they seem to be pushing EE????

I'd honestly be happy if they were just called points (me and husband refer to them as points at home as he doesn't like the name either) but I can see the reasoning behind having a snappy name for marketing purposes. Something more neutral maybe?

I know that SW will have put a lot of time and research into the names they have chosen for parts of the plan, it just bothers me when I hear people at group saying that using syns is bad and that they failed on a given day because they used 5 syns... :/

They used to be called 'sins' and they changed it, as it was believed to be too negative a word. Now they try to convince us that 'syn' is short for 'synergy'- what a load of codswallop! I hate it when people demonise food by using words like 'bad' or 'naughty'.

I disagree that syns are needed to maximise weight loss. But what probably happens when people try to cut back on syns is that they increase their consumption of free foods, so they'll have extra spuds/pasta/meat etc instead of a chocolate bar, so although they think they're eating more healthily,their calorie consumption won't be any less. However, if people do use their syns, they're probably more likely to eat smaller portions of other calorie dense free foods.

Back