Don't drink your calories....Did you know.....?

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by KD, 5 March 2009 Social URL.

1. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I find stuff like this really interesting.

Drinks don't work in the same way as food when it comes to satiety signals. So if you eat 500 calories of food, your body will turn the appetite signals off and you'll be less likely to want more food.

But, if you have that 500 calories in the form of alcohol, sugary drinks etc, it will have no effect on the appetite. Though it will 'acknowledge' the calories and use for energy or storing as fat, as far as your body is concerned you didn't eat 500 calories, so you will still need to.

There are exceptions. For example, milk is treated like a food...so CD/LT/LL dieters etc are safe :D

Also, if you blend food with water the hunger hormone (ghrelin) will go down. Drink water on it's own and it'll pass through the stomach quickly as it contains no nutrients and so have no effect on satiety.

Clever bodies eh.

Mini likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. ditzeeblonde

ditzeeblonde Call me Linzi...

Start Weight:
    21st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    10st1.5lb(47.25%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
  4. Serena A

Serena A Can't think of a title

Start Weight:
    14st12lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st0lb(40.38%)
    Diet:
    Maintaining, was on CD
    If only I had a mind to match I'd have realised how fat I'd got before I got that fat! :(

Mini likes this.
  5. Konvictz

Konvictz Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(20.99%)
    Diet:
    No diet just running and weight training.
    ah very intresting.

in the summer i can drink something like 1 and half litres of coke a day.

sometimes i go without water for days. e.g. with brekfast lunch and dinner i drink coke instead of water.

i did notice that drinking milk made feel more fuller than drinking water/coke.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.